Shambala 2024

Morning Ben

Thanks for the insight, some  names I had not heard of there. Scaler, Radioactive Man and DMX Krew were on my plan!

We will be in Family camping. Hopefully the smaller scale site will enable meet ups a little easier than Glastonbury!

@Skip997 @tarw Would be great o meet over a beer or a dance

The lovely guide arrived this week so I will start to brush up on some potentials for the day time too!

Adam

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/8/2024 at 2:53 PM, Skip997 said:

How about some sort of efests meet up?

met up with 'Neil' of efests creation fame at Shambala one year, with my mate Shaun ( At least, I'm pretty sure it was Shambala!) I had initially loosely arranged to meet him (for the first time) at some bar. Anyway, after the chaos that was going on at my own end, it was a fair few hours since I re-contacted him to connect. I think I started my text with something like 'Well, I know you're not still in the same bar that you were many hours ago, so where are you now?' kind of thing. He texted back 'Yep - still in the same bar. Haven't moved an inch'. .

A most sterling effort, in my opinion.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

met up with 'Neil' of efests creation fame at Shambala one year, with my mate Shaun ( At least, I'm pretty sure it was Shambala!) I had initially loosely arranged to meet him (for the first time) at some bar. Anyway, after the chaos that was going on at my own end, it was a fair few hours since I re-contacted him to connect. I think I started my text with something like 'Well, I know you're not still in the same bar that you were many hours ago, so where are you now?' kind of thing. He texted back 'Yep - still in the same bar. Haven't moved an inch'. .

Neil at Shambala?

I can’t imagine it 

Clearly it had little effect on him 

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

Neil at Shambala?

I can’t imagine it 

Clearly it had little effect on him 

Hello Skip,

Now you've made me doubt my own mind. Don't worry though, the least thing triggers that off. I no longer even wonder about my own sanity, but do wonder if my memory is serving me right. Shambala is the only festival that I can think of where it happened. 

The above said , I am now going to contact my mate 'Shaun' and ask him to verify.

STOP PRESS> STOP PRESS.

Oh bollocks, I've just had another thought - maybe it was Secret Garden Party. I know that I was there (SGP) with Shaun alone, so maybe that's the better bet. I will find out, eventually, as Shaun doesn't look at his messages that often - normally.

35 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Skip,

Now you've made me doubt my own mind. Don't worry though, the least thing triggers that off. I no longer even wonder about my own sanity, but do wonder if my memory is serving me right. Shambala is the only festival that I can think of where it happened. 

The above said , I am now going to contact my mate 'Shaun' and ask him to verify.

STOP PRESS> STOP PRESS.

Oh bollocks, I've just had another thought - maybe it was Secret Garden Party. I know that I was there (SGP) with Shaun alone, so maybe that's the better bet. I will find out, eventually, as Shaun doesn't look at his messages that often - normally.

No worries. I often have the same issue.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

No worries. I often have the same issue.

Yes, yes, it's all coming back to me now - said the blind man pissing into the wind!

I have just received this (see below) from Shaun.

Not only is the response time shocking, but (to me) parts of the content too;

Hello Kev

I'm pretty sure it was Secret Garden Party.

Off to Lanzarote in the morning for a week.

Hope you have a fab weekend too.

Cheers

Shaun

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kerplunk said:

Neil's been to Shambala at least once

Anyway, efests meet - thurday evening perhaps? I'm up for it but I could be thwarted by my shifts

Is the Wonky c*ck still there?

I’d certainly be up for it, shifts depending. We might need might even need to have two as the chances are someone will be on shift whenever. 

5 hours ago, kerplunk said:

Neil's been to Shambala at least once

Anyway, efests meet - thurday evening perhaps? I'm up for it but I could be thwarted by my shifts

Is the Wonky c*ck still there?

Yea Thursday shift allowing.

Wonky c*ck is still there 

34 minutes ago, tarw said:

Woo Hoo!

Just got early shifts. A whole weekend to party

With Oxfam?

At the risk of being a bit of a downer, I should say that early shifts don't usually work quite the same way as the Glastonbury ones, so you're unlikely to get them all out of the way before the public turn up.

32 minutes ago, incident said:

With Oxfam?

At the risk of being a bit of a downer, I should say that early shifts don't usually work quite the same way as the Glastonbury ones, so you're unlikely to get them all out of the way before the public turn up.

Yup just checked the email again !

Still I get at least one out of the way before things start!

You bubble popper you 

12 minutes ago, tarw said:

Yup just checked the email again !

Still I get at least one out of the way before things start!

You bubble popper you 

Yeah. Early shift at Shambala likely means you'll be on Oxfam Arrival / Registration duty on the Wednesday afternoon/evening, and then two shifts across the rest of the weekend. Unless things have changed there's not really any other steward roles staffed prior to gates opening.

16 hours ago, Skip997 said:

What’s going on this year? 

Loads of tickets available on the reseller site Tixel and Oxfam having trouble filling their quota. 

I’ll be there.

Does look like they’re struggling with sales this year, they converted a load of coach tickets back to general admission to try and get rid of them, and the Instagram ads are popping up constantly. 

Tixel is a bit of an odd resale platform, I understand not letting people sell for over face value, but if you wanna sell your ticket cheap to get some money for it then you have to do a private sale? 

So most of the resale tickets are the same price as buying them direct? You can refund up until a month before so I guess poor planning if you now can’t go, unless some emergency has come up. 

good for us attendees (last year was crowded), worrying for the future of shambala. 

Blowing my mind how many people have left it until 3 days before to figure out they need to sell their tickets.

I’d expect a few to come up but there’s so many people who can’t make it, or forgot they don’t have a campervan 

2 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

Blowing my mind how many people have left it until 3 days before to figure out they need to sell their tickets.

I’d expect a few to come up but there’s so many people who can’t make it, or forgot they don’t have a campervan 

It’s both staggering and worrying. 

Is Shambala going to struggle next year?

Anyway I’ll be going there on Wednesday if anyone fancies meeting up 

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

It’s both staggering and worrying. 

Is Shambala going to struggle next year?

I'm not really sure what's happened, but I'm wondering whether by being the festival that keeps pushing the ethical / sustainable aspect as much as they do, they've now hit or gone past a breaking point as to what people will accept on their escape from reality, and have inadvertently created some kind of perception that it's now more about that and is no longer the fun place to be.

No meat, no milk, no glitter, no branding on the bar cups (may seem minor, but plenty people did take them home to collect), and this year no cross dressing (not exactly what they're saying, but the way many will take it). I know there's other things I can't remember off the top of my head as well.

Plus on the venue side the loss of several places that provided something different over the past few years means it does feel like it's starting to get a bit more generic - Madame Bayou's, Barrio Afrika*, Lost Picture Show, and most painfully The Social Club.

*I know theoretically it was merged with Roots Yard, but really it's gone.

On 8/9/2024 at 2:58 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

don't remember meeting you at shambala - glasto, and maybe somewhere else (i forget) don't think i met your mate shaun, just your lovely missus (i forget her name now)

Interesting post @incident Somehow it felt slightly less “Shambala” last year, couldn’t put my finger on why though.

Personally I’m massively in favour of the no meat/fish/baby cow food policy. The vote was overwhelming in favour of keeping it. 

3 hours ago, Neil said:

don't remember meeting you at shambala - glasto, and maybe somewhere else 

I think it might have been Secret Garden Party. Did you ever go to it?

3 hours ago, Neil said:

(i forget) don't think i met your mate shaun, 

I thought you had, and he's convinced of it. 

3 hours ago, Neil said:

just your lovely missus (i forget her name now)

Me too!

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I think it might have been Secret Garden Party. Did you ever go to it?

no, never got to that one!

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I thought you had, and he's convinced of it. 

Me too!