Secret Sets 2024!

Billy Shears

There's three hours between Palmoa Faith and Janelle Monae with only Shania Twain appearing.

Surely there's room there for a secret act?

• Janelle Monae 17.45 - 18.45
  • Shania Twain 15.45 - 17.00
  • Paloma Faith 13.45 - 14.45

On 6/4/2024 at 7:58 PM, goldfishboy said:

assuming it's kasabian, what is the purpose of keeping it secret at this point? it's not like they're too big for woodsies

Didn’t they do an arena run at some point? I’d say they would pack it out. For example me and my partner would’ve gone Bloc Party but we're gonna head to Kasabian if rumours are true. Still a great live band with Serj and the helm and will go off in the tent. 

15 minutes ago, Drew3232 said:

There's three hours between Palmoa Faith and Janelle Monae with only Shania Twain appearing.

May well be a guest speaker on just after the legend act. Like with David Attenborough and Greta Thurnberg.

On 6/4/2024 at 6:58 PM, goldfishboy said:

assuming it's kasabian, what is the purpose of keeping it secret at this point? it's not like they're too big for woodsies

have to consider their ego, secret set is more sexy than admitting you've gone from pyramid headliner to small tent in 10 years

• Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 7:50 PM, FloopFiller said:

Also, Kasabian are definitely too big for Woodsies, even in their current lesser form. They’re still headlining mid sized festivals so they’re not exactly just some academy band, and they’ll draw a giant crowd.

100%. They are headlining latitude which is a 45k capacity. Like it or not they are "big" for a woodsies slot. 

Kasabian are absolutely going to pack it out. They're still a big name to people at a festival receiving word they're playing, even if they're less likely to pay to see them. Sure, they're not as big as they were 10 years ago, but they're still a band that would ram out Woodsies unless there was something mega on at the same time

3 hours ago, Drew3232 said:

Shania twain has got an hour and 15 mins

On 6/1/2024 at 11:22 AM, kemosabe said:

Please can we have The XX, that would be amazing 

Overrated shite IMO.

It's 75% Kasabian.  It's a ploy to get round the exclusivity deal, like most secret sets.

KOL are nowhere near headline material these days.  The Killers' star was waning when they did the secret set, but the popularity of them at Woodsies showed they still had pull.  I think that was a test to see if they could be safely booked higher up, which they passed.  If it is KOL and it packs them out of the tent, then they may get a sub/headliner in 25 or 26.

Didn’t The Killers do a little secret set in John Peel 2017 (Woodsies) and then headline 2 yr later? 
So maybe it could be a warm up for Pulp and then the big headline 2026 with the festival calling a fallow year ? 

Edited by Traci

10 hours ago, Traci said:

Didn’t The Killers do a little secret set in John Peel 2017 (Woodsies) and then headline 2 yr later? 
So maybe it could be a warm up for Pulp and then the big headline 2026 with the festival calling a fallow year ? 

That was what happened. The Killers played Woodsies in 2017, Fallow year 2018 (Killers headlined Latitude that year), then headlined the Pyramid in 2019.

So yes there is a precedent for it happening, it'll likely happen again because unless something weird happens Foo's will likely headline again after their Churnups slot last year (albeit, I don't think it'll be next year, but who knows). Personally I'm not getting that vibe from Pulp, I think we will be lucky to get Pulp once on this reunion, let alone twice.

I would love to be wrong though because few things are better than Pulp at Glasto.

I still feel burnt from when the Stone Roses reformed and I thought they would definitely play Glasto...and they didn't.  Or when Blur reformed this last time haven't played.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Overrated shite IMO.

It's 75% Kasabian.  It's a ploy to get round the exclusivity deal, like most secret sets.

KOL are nowhere near headline material these days.  The Killers' star was waning when they did the secret set, but the popularity of them at Woodsies showed they still had pull.  I think that was a test to see if they could be safely booked higher up, which they passed.  If it is KOL and it packs them out of the tent, then they may get a sub/headliner in 25 or 26.

Booooo, the XX are awesome!

Kasabian on the other hand...dull as dishwater.