Secret Sets 2024!

Billy Shears

2 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

Booooo, the XX are awesome!

Kasabian on the other hand...dull as dishwater.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Kasabian fan but The XX are one of the dullest acts I've ever heard!  Other than Romy's voice, I can't think of a single positive.  Songs are almost indistinguishable, they're so monotonous.

1 hour ago, StuwieG said:

Seen Kasabian supporting Noel Gallagher last year. They're not the same without Tom, felt like a tribute band. Serge isn't a great singer/frontman. 

I'd heard the opposite, from many people who've seen them recently.  Horses for courses I guess.

Edited by 4AssedMonkey

2 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Kasabian fan but The XX are one of the dullest acts I've ever heard!  Other than Romy's voice, I can't think of a single positive.  Songs are almost indistinguishable, they're so monotonous.

I'd heard the opposite, from many people who've seen them recently.  Horses for courses I guess.

Beauty of music I guess what gets peoples brains going! I remember listning to the first XX album for the first time and then it was on repeat for weeks. Just stuck it on now as it's been so long since I listened to it.

tbf with Kasabian maybe I should give them more of a listen. I kind of just wrote them off as shite years ago.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Beauty of music I guess what gets peoples brains going! I remember listning to the first XX album for the first time and then it was on repeat for weeks. Just stuck it on now as it's been so long since I listened to it.

tbf with Kasabian maybe I should give them more of a listen. I kind of just wrote them off as shite years ago.

The XXs set in 2017 (I think?) is still one of my favourite I've seen at Glastonbury. Them playing intro as the sun was setting was pretty magical. 

Different strokes for different folks I guess 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, StuwieG said:

Seen Kasabian supporting Noel Gallagher last year. They're not the same without Tom, felt like a tribute band. Serge isn't a great singer/frontman. 

Disagree entirely. Serge has bundles more charisma than Tom. As a front man Serge blows him out the water. Tom has better vocals no doubting that though.

Another up vote for The XX here. Superb band.

Edited by Justcalledtosay

8 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

All art is subjective and I think none more so than music.  Saw a post on here recently where someone was bemoaning the clashes between IDLES/Fontaines and The Streets/Sleaford Mods as the 4 he was most excited about.  4 Bands I would rather cut my ears off than listen to.  Kept my opinion to myself....

Kasabian IMO had a great debut, a decent follow up and have done little worth listening to since.  Were above average live when Tom was singing as he was an arrogant prick, but a decent frontman.  Not seen them since it came out he was a wife beater and got sacked.  If I were you, I woudn't bother digging into them now.  Pick an emerging artist instead.  My fave new discoveries from Spotifying the lineup this year are ARXX, Baby Queen and Black Pumas.  Check them out instead.

• Upvote 1

The secret set > headliner/playing the following year pipeline is actually far less of a thing than people make out. People always bring up The Killers doing it but we had info they were third in line to get the call in 2019 and basically a bit of a desperate booking when plans A and B didn’t work out, helped by the fact they were now on friends of the festival terms after their secret set. Usually an act doing a secret set means the complete opposite - that there’s nowhere for them on the announced lineup due to having already played too recently or not wanting to do a big stage, so they do a secret set instead, so probably a good thing Kasabian are doing it as it means they won’t be stinking up a high slot any time soon and we can still hold out hope that Pulp might eventually play next year (although starting to think, for whatever reason, it might be a no-go as I don’t know why they wouldn’t have played this or last year). 

35 minutes ago, Crouchinho76 said:

Mel C mentioned on BBC Radio 6, late yesterday afternoon, that she will be at Glasto this year "but that's all I can say for now".  Expect her to either DJ or pop up on stage with someone, somewhere. 

Isn't she there most years?  Think she did a solo set last year, Avalon I believe.

34 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

All art is subjective and I think none more so than music.  Saw a post on here recently where someone was bemoaning the clashes between IDLES/Fontaines and The Streets/Sleaford Mods as the 4 he was most excited about.  4 Bands I would rather cut my ears off than listen to.  Kept my opinion to myself....

Kasabian IMO had a great debut, a decent follow up and have done little worth listening to since.  Were above average live when Tom was singing as he was an arrogant prick, but a decent frontman.  Not seen them since it came out he was a wife beater and got sacked.  If I were you, I woudn't bother digging into them now.  Pick an emerging artist instead.  My fave new discoveries from Spotifying the lineup this year are ARXX, Baby Queen and Black Pumas.  Check them out instead.

That'll be me then!  As you say all art is subjective, which is what makes Glastonbury so great as the there is something for everyone.

For what it's worth I don't get the massive love for Justice.  I've tried listening a few times now to see what I'm missing and I just don't get it.

1 hour ago, Padgey said:

Isn't she there most years?  Think she did a solo set last year, Avalon I believe.

That was on the lineup though. If she's saying she's there and isn't on the lineup then it's potentially a secret set or guest appearance. Which this thread is for. So think it was worth sharing. 

4 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

haha, made me chuckle! I only just discovered Fontaines...absolutely love them. Same with the streets (earlier stuff). Think I tried Idles but wasn't impressed, and I haven't listened to Sleaford mods.

My annoying clash is London Grammar vs The National. Why would the festival do that to me?!

I'll take a listen to your suggestions as I'm currently dilegently making my way through the lineup and colour coding clashfinder 😅

On 6/7/2024 at 2:18 PM, mouserat said:

That was on the lineup though. If she's saying she's there and isn't on the lineup then it's potentially a secret set or guest appearance. Which this thread is for. So think it was worth sharing. 

So you're saying Spice Girls are filling that TBA on Woodsies? 🤣

9 minutes ago, ramblingmad said:

So you're saying Spice Girls are filling that TBA on Woodsies? 🤣

My wife would be delighted but no think we can rule that out. 

Wouldn't put it past her coming out with Coldplay though.

3 minutes ago, mouserat said:

My wife would be delighted but no think we can rule that out. 

Wouldn't put it past her coming out with Coldplay though.

Would be a poor special guest as she's there every year anyway. May as well have Beans on toast come on.

1 hour ago, Euphoricape said:

Would be a poor special guest as she's there every year anyway. May as well have Beans on toast come on.

If there was one thing that would make me want to watch Coldplay, it would be this!

2 hours ago, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

On which night? I can’t see it on the app. Maybe they’ve removed it 

Saturday 1am. Yeah looks like they have – basically found it when I went on Gossip and saw they had '2 sets' listed, and one was that Scissors TBA slot, with Beth's name attached to it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

Saturday 1am. Yeah looks like they have – basically found it when I went on Gossip and saw they had '2 sets' listed, and one was that Scissors TBA slot, with Beth's name attached to it.

Thanks. May try to catch that - she’s got a brilliant voice but not going to see Gossip. 30mins at 1am perfect 

On 6/7/2024 at 10:01 AM, StuwieG said:

I don't recognise them anymore, don't really get what they're about. Absolutely loved them and still regularly revisit a number of their albums from the first 10 years or so.

There's obviously the Tom factor but it all just feels a bit... off. When Rob from The Music joined I thought him coming in as front man could have been the perfect remedy but he just took a bit part instrumental role, bit odd.

Suspect I'll hover for their set to hear some of the older tunes but I'm hardly excited for it

15 minutes ago, mufcok said:

I don't recognise them anymore, don't really get what they're about. Absolutely loved them and still regularly revisit a number of their albums from the first 10 years or so.

There's obviously the Tom factor but it all just feels a bit... off. When Rob from The Music joined I thought him coming in as front man could have been the perfect remedy but he just took a bit part instrumental role, bit odd.

Suspect I'll hover for their set to hear some of the older tunes but I'm hardly excited for it

Will they even play older songs though without Tom?  Might be all new stuff.