First Glastonbury in 10 years - what's new?!

prestonmanc

2 hours ago, stuie said:

You have to hunt for acid house / breaks / trance / psytrance too.  You can’t just expect to stumble across specific things to suit your tastes. 

It has diversity and depth and pretty much whatever you want if you look. 

that's no where near my definition of diversity in music, they're very closly matching the same genre of music. hence why I think there's two groups of people - people who like it and can tell the difference and everyone else who actively avoids it or just puts up with it.

I doubt I'm going to change anyones mind on this board since 90%+ of people are in the first group, but I'm trying to at least open some of your minds of the huge gap

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bob323 said:

that's no where near my definition of diversity in music, they're very closly matching the same genre of music. hence why I think there's two groups of people - people who like it and can tell the difference and everyone else who actively avoids it or just puts up with it.

I doubt I'm going to change anyones mind on this board since 90%+ of people are in the first group, but I'm trying to at least open some of your minds of the huge gap

I’m going to be splitting hairs here I’m sure but in my opinion it is definitely a broad spectrum of people from one side to the other. 

Saying that, the vast majority of festivals after midnight do cater to dance music. That is surely a case of the clientele available after midnight. 

Regardless, 2023 was my first Glastonbury and by far the best festival me or any of my friends had been to. We’re now obsessed with it!

In the nicest possible way, I’m sure there’s a lot of rose tinted glasses in this forum.

Edited by SquaredCircle1

As someone who prefers the music at the festival once the sun has gone down, even I think there's a disparity between electronic music and everything else. There's a fair debate to be had here, I've said it many times over the years but I'm not sure what the solution is, or if it's even a big problem at all? Is it a complaint from a relatively small number of people or is it a bigger issue than the festival seems to give credence to?

Losing Williams Green is probably a big blow to those looking for alternatives. I suppose they can't use Woodsies or the Acoustic Tent beyond a certain time, because of the noise issue. I've never been a huge fan of Beat Hotel/San Remo, if they freed up that space for alternatives to electronica. Shangri-La is maybe due a shake-up at some point, if they remodelled that to be a more open area, as opposed to the "walk-through" layout it is currently, they could introduce a little more variety? The issue there is, if it's unpopular, it would push the crowds towards the already busy Silver Hayes, Common, Arcadia, Block 9. You could argue that the fact that these areas are incredibly popular would suggest the festival is giving the people what they want. You'd have thought that the organisers would know what entertainment the vast percentage of attendees are looking for, after hours. It's a similar point to the one I've often made in the headliners thread. As much as there are complaints from time to time, GFL seldom get it wrong. Of course, from a budget perspective, a DJ turning up with a couple of USBs (often playing for a ticket and/or a nominal fee) is going to be considerably cheaper (or easier to accommodate) than a six-piece alt-folk group. That has to be a significant factor in their planning, too.