This years special guests?

theciderviking

Sometimes it does lift a set. 

I remember the Muse set being a bit "meh" until they bought the Edge out to run through "where the streets have no name" 

When The Killers bought out Johnny Marr and the Pet Shop Boys it pushed it from being a really good set into a great one for me.

It does show that an act has really thought about giving a bit of a wow factor and something different.

It is necessary at all and I don't expect it but I think it can be really good. 

I would be especially gutted if I miss Kendrick joining SZA for "all the stars" 'cos I love that song and was a bit surprised he didn't play it when he headlined.

14 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Maybe I’m naive but I’d believed many do for free, or maybe just travel costs? I’d have thought if McCartney rings you up requesting you to do a song with him you wouldn’t be saying how much is it worth? 

yeah, sorry but i don't believe anyone does anything for free.

unless you are an absolute nobody, in which case ok yeah maybe - but if thats the case then you are doing if for exposure so its not "free".

when McCartney rang up Bruce to ask him to play - i am very sure that the very first thing Bruce thought of was "how much".

Just now, -TLR- said:

unless you are an absolute nobody, in which case ok yeah maybe - but if thats the case then you are doing if for exposure so its not "free".

when McCartney rang up Bruce to ask him to play - i am very sure that the very first thing Bruce thought of was "how much".

there must be money involved , unless you Chris Martin wo will drop in on anyones set for a bag of quavers and a pint of cider.

2 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

I guess it depends doesn't it.  It might be different if you are flying from America to the UK to do a couple of songs there might be renumeration involved.  it would have definitely been planned for a while in advance for the logistics to work.

I remember seeing Bruce join the Gaslight Anthem during their set in what was the John Peel tent the year they were both playing.  He isn't going to have been paid for that is he?  So I don't think it is fair to say nobody does anything for free.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

I remember the Muse set being a bit "meh" until they bought the Edge out to run through "where the streets have no name" 

if someone has to bring out another musician to play another bands song in order to make their own set interesting then i think maybe they are doing something wrong.

• Upvote 1

Just now, glimmers_of_hope said:

I remember seeing Bruce join the Gaslight Anthem during their set in what was the John Peel tent the year they were both playing.  He isn't going to have been paid for that is he?  So I don't think it is fair to say nobody does anything for free.

i obviously have no way of knowing this either way - but i would say that Bruce did NOT do that appearance for free.

10 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

There's a difference between doing it for costs vs doing it for costs *and* a fat stack.  In the case of Macca's guests they were clearly there for the man himself rather than to grab a huge bag.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

29 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Plus, although there are obvious exceptions, lots of acts don't actually do it - Arctic Monkeys, Guns'n'Roses, Billie Eilish, Kendrick, The Cure - and going back further Kanye, the Stones, Bowie, Radiohead, Adele, Foo Fighters etc all performed without them.

Guns 'n' Roses brought Dave Grohl out for Paradise City 

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

There's a difference between doing it for costs vs doing it for coats *and* a fat stack.  In the case of Macca's guests they were clearly there for the man himself rather than to grab a huge bag.

i'm sorry but i just don't believe it - there is no way Bruce is going to walk out on stage without a big pile of cash being involved (hell, i'm sure he even sends an invoice to the school in Freehold...)

and i say this as a Bruce fan.

but i don't want to drag this into a "Bruce..." discussion, i mean it in a general way.

i just dont believe that anyone is going to do it for free.

I don't really understand the fuss about special guests. Not the endless speculation, at least. It's become another one of the strange modern Glastonbury phenomena. Don't get me wrong, when it happens (particularly the occasions where people least suspect it - Bruce Springsteen with McCartney, for example), it can be magical, but the mindless clamour amongst the camp I was in last year just before Elton came on was ridiculous. I lost count of the names that "someone they'd bumped into who works for the BBC" had heard. Britney, Dua, McCartney, Eminem, Harry Styles, etc. It's Elton John. Is that not enough? It turned out to be Brandon Flowers and a couple other lesser known artists. Probably didn't add anything at all to the overall performance. 

Same situation the year before, Dr Dre and Eminem were supposedly dropping in with Kendrick. Turned out to be one of the most fantastically choreographed performances I've ever witnessed and not a guest in sight. 

I have to agree with a few above. In hindsight, most guest spots that I've seen aren't that memorable.  

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I don't really understand the fuss about special guests. Not the endless speculation, at least. It's become another one of the strange modern Glastonbury phenomena. Don't get me wrong, when it happens (particularly the occasions where people least suspect it - Bruce Springsteen with McCartney, for example), it can be magical, but the mindless clamour amongst the camp I was in last year just before Elton came on was ridiculous. I lost count of the names that "someone they'd bumped into who works for the BBC" had heard. Britney, Dua, McCartney, Eminem, Harry Styles, etc. It's Elton John. Is that not enough? It turned out to be Brandon Flowers and a couple other lesser known artists. Probably didn't add anything at all to the overall performance. 

Same situation the year before, Dr Dre and Eminem were supposedly dropping in with Kendrick. Turned out to be one of the most fantastically choreographed performances I've ever witnessed and not a guest in sight. 

I have to agree with a few above. In hindsight, most guest spots that I've seen aren't that memorable.  

I kind of agree. But i'd like to add that people who go to Glastonbury (myself included) want to imagine that acts lift their game for Glastonbury, that a spot on at the festival is as special for them as it is for us. One of the ways they can do that is sing songs they wouldn't normally do for other festivals (including covers). Another way is to bring on guests who obviously wouldn't be seen elsewhere. Another is of course to just play the set of their life.  

I think it's disappointing when an act just treats it like another gig, as for this country it is the peak of musical culture and I think for most people it is seen as a massive honour.  So them bringing on top guests kind of signals they're treating it as such. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah that's a point. Where is Suprefan? Not seen him on here for a while 

Very strange!  He last visited yesterday but he hasn't posted a word since before Coachella.

Not even any updates on the amount of cash registers or lawn chairs. 

1 hour ago, -TLR- said:

But the flip side of that is that if you're a multi-millionaire, the sort of fees that would be reasonable are also kinda irrelevant.

Like, most of us would think £10,000 to come out and do two songs would be a hell of a payday. Springsteen wouldn't even notice it. He's pulling in over $1 million a night on tour. There's no fee McCartney could offer him, taken out of the already lower than average Glasto fee, that could make it worthwhile for him.

So at that point, even if he's being paid a few grand, he's essentially doing it for "free" and so often at that point they just don't bother with fees at all. 

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

But the flip side of that is that if you're a multi-millionaire, the sort of fees that would be reasonable are also kinda irrelevant.

Like, most of us would think £10,000 to come out and do two songs would be a hell of a payday. Springsteen wouldn't even notice it. He's pulling in over $1 million a night on tour. There's no fee McCartney could offer him, taken out of the already lower than average Glasto fee, that could make it worthwhile for him.

So at that point, even if he's being paid a few grand, he's essentially doing it for "free" and so often at that point they just don't bother with fees at all. 

yeah fair enough - but Bruce (not just Bruce, all of them) DOES notice it, even if its only £10,000

my point is there is no way he is walking out onto that stage without getting paid.

these people are all about the money - that's it. 

whether its £10m, £100k or £10k - they know all about it and they want to see it on the balance sheet.

and again, let me stress this - i say this as a Bruce fan.

1 hour ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

I've heard Brian Fallon from Gaslight tell this story multiple times on podcasts. He had never met Bruce before, but Bruce is his favourite artist of all time. The band rocked up to go on stage, and Bruce was just stood there, and said hello. Brian freaked out, and Bruce asked "can I play on that song The 59 Sound?" and Brian was like uhhh yes please. Or so the story goes.

I'm not sure if he's omitted a section of the story where Bruce asks for 10 grand to play with them - but what I do know if Brian talks about it as maybe the best moment of his life, as he had no indication Bruce had heard of the band. Of course he went on to appear with Bruce to sing No Surrender that night, and it's safe to say there's a lot more in it for Gaslight than Bruce when it comes to exposure!

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

I've heard Brian Fallon from Gaslight tell this story multiple times on podcasts. He had never met Bruce before, but Bruce is his favourite artist of all time. The band rocked up to go on stage, and Bruce was just stood there, and said hello. Brian freaked out, and Bruce asked "can I play on that song The 59 Sound?" and Brian was like uhhh yes please. Or so the story goes.

I'm not sure if he's omitted a section of the story where Bruce asks for 10 grand to play with them - but what I do know if Brian talks about it as maybe the best moment of his life, as he had no indication Bruce had heard of the band. Of course he went on to appear with Bruce to sing No Surrender that night, and it's safe to say there's a lot more in it for Gaslight than Bruce when it comes to exposure!

Ah cool, I hadn't heard that story but it definitely had the feel that he was just kinda there and wanted to do it which was a nice thing to do. 

• Like 1