New pitch your own tent glampsite

StoneCircle

6 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Wicked reply, thanks. Sorry those who found it first, but I might just be sold... 🙈😂 We were talking about just going in to general next year, but at this price, or anywhere near it, seems like a no brainer. 

Out of interest though, why do you agree with no gazebos, if the pitches are marked and they're kept within the pitches? Gazebos have been a god send during some of the sunnier mornings for getting some shade, or even sleeping under if the tent gets too hot. I mean, I get it in the festival, as they take up valuable space, but with marked out pitches, I can't imagine why anybody would have an issue with it? 

To be fair, in addition to the gazebos blowing away, it’s probably a hangover from Irish festivals where gazebos double as nightclubs and are invariably brought by the worst folk to camp beside! Guaranteed to keep you up all night roaring nonsense! Never experienced it at Glasto in 20 years, so would be unfair to extrapolate that to an entirely different crowd. We do bring a big one like the one you linked to when camping at F1 and they’re great, but we spend a lot more time at camp and only go into the race when there is something on (we bring vans, gas BBQs, gazebo etc for that as do most others), so never feel the need for them at Glasto as we generally spend less time around the tents. 

28 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

To be fair, in addition to the gazebos blowing away, it’s probably a hangover from Irish festivals where gazebos double as nightclubs and are invariably brought by the worst folk to camp beside! Guaranteed to keep you up all night roaring nonsense! Never experienced it at Glasto in 20 years, so would be unfair to extrapolate that to an entirely different crowd. We do bring a big one like the one you linked to when camping at F1 and they’re great, but we spend a lot more time at camp and only go into the race when there is something on (we bring vans, gas BBQs, gazebo etc for that as do most others), so never feel the need for them at Glasto as we generally spend less time around the tents. 

For us, it's mostly a place to sit and wait for the group to all wake up / gather in the morning, sheltered from the sun (or rain if we ever get it.) For example, I'm an early riser, but Cara will stay in bed for hours after me, so it's nice to have somewhere to chill without disturbing her, whilst I wait for her to rise. (I can, and have in the past, explored for a few hours on my own, but I don't always feel the need or want to.)

Sometimes we'll cook up some breakfast cobs for everyone whilst waiting. It also doubles up as some shade to sleep under if the tents get too hot, there were mornings last year where I had to drag my bed out into the gazebo and just sleep, as the tent was way too hot. (We were in the Vango, rather than my smaller Fresh & Black, which definitely would have solved this issue!) There was even one hot afternoon last year when I just needed to take some time out, left the others and went back and relaxed in the shade by myself. The sun was blazing, the tent would have been way too hot, and I just needed some time out in the shade. It was bliss.  

what was interesting with Holt Farm was how busy the campsite was when the music was on, I was guilty of it. Feels a bit of a waste of the main festival.

Its so far out theres no way I could have handled a full day and night. Sacrificed the first few hours of each day. Usually camp in oxylers so no problem popping out then coming back for a change of night clothes/drinks/rest.

12 minutes ago, august1 said:

what was interesting with Holt Farm was how busy the campsite was when the music was on, I was guilty of it. Feels a bit of a waste of the main festival.

Its so far out theres no way I could have handled a full day and night. Sacrificed the first few hours of each day. Usually camp in oxylers so no problem popping out then coming back for a change of night clothes/drinks/rest.

A fair point. I did the trek back on Thurs evening then went back out with hoodies for me & Mrs 4am. Was bushed by the time I’d walked Park/Holt Farm/Taphouse.  After that we went out last possible minute and with enough booze/clothes to see us through. Only once managed to see 2:00am and usually in bed by 1:00-1:30. But then I am old.

13 minutes ago, august1 said:

@Toilet Duck quiet is no doubt the best parking/campsite. My worry would be if they rejigged it next time!

Yeah, they didn’t have a quota for quiet vs general, so picked the fields based on how many booked each type. If everyone went for quiet next year, then it would likely change the configuration. Nothing like the trek from the edge of pink to lime kiln though! 

18 minutes ago, august1 said:

Yeah, depends on what you usually do. We’ve always camped in Lime Kiln, which was always a drop back once for supplies for the night kind of deal, so this didn’t feel much different, but with the added bonus of cold beer or mixers on ice from the bar before we went back in. Definitely made good use of it!

Has anyone who stayed at Holt Farm previously done Tangerine Fields at all?  I'm wondering what the walk is comparatively, and especially on the return leg where TF is all uphill.

TF was £900 for us this year (4-man tent + parking pass), so even with a price hike for 2025 Holt Farm PYO could still possibly save us a fair whack in costs.

I wish people would stop making out that it was cheap.

It's £70 a night for a pitch on a campsite. The best benefit was being able to park closer to your tent.

For any other campsite you would expect to pay less than that and have better facilities, but because this is Glastonbury it's become the norm to spend loads more money for something you've already paid for - i.e. a space for your tent.

Queues for the showers were always too long so we never even made use of them.

Toilets were good, but should be expected to be.  Only portaloos though so good thing it wasn't too hot or they would have been sweaty sh*t saunas.

Didn't really make use of any of the bar or other stuff there as we would generally head out early and stay in the festival all day.  Morning coffees and a pizza once (which was good).

Having never stayed on this side of site before I have now realised that Gate D is loooong way from everywhere.  No chance of popping back to the tent.

Security were very friendly and always a good laugh to chat to when coming and going.

Would I do it again?  Yes.

Should it cost more than it does?  Nope.