2024 Traffic Directions etc

parsonjack

11 hours ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Your a star im good until podimore but hopefully signs will take over 

You can't go wrong from Podimore as it's straight up the A37, over the lights at Lydford, up and over Wraxall Hill and then left into Purple parking at Pylle where directed.

Have a good one bud.

9 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

I can do the local bit but @Ayrshire Chrismight be best placed to advise on the first bit of your trip.

We normally do the M6, M5 then leave the M5 at J23, head on the A39 towards Glastonbury then the A361 to the festival, but that gets us to the west of the site where we usually park.  Never done the east side but possibly the route might be to continue on the A39 towards Wells, on to Shepton Mallet and that gets you to the east side. Bit of a loop round, there may be alternatives that others could suggest. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, snailcheeks said:

Can anyone recommend the best route coming from Scotland and parking on the east side? I need to park near the east camper van area.

@Ayrshire Chrishas you sorted as above and I'd agree......head in on A39 from the West to Glastonbury then take a left towards Wells (still on A39), then head east on A371 to Shepton Mallet, then south on A37 where you'll then be directed right into Blue Route and East Camper fields. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

@Ayrshire Chrishas you sorted as above and I'd agree......head in on A39 from the West to Glastonbury then take a left towards Wells (still on A39), then head east on A371 to Shepton Mallet, then south on A37 where you'll then be directed right into Blue Route and East Camper fields. 

And don’t try any shortcuts down lanes etc you might see on maps, as most are either temporarily one way or closed!

• Like 1

I'm coming a new way (for me) because I'm picking up a friend in Ilchester and then have to head to Accessible parking (by ped gate A). I'm not sure if the accessible pass gets me any alternative routes - perfect would be A361 past Pilton.

Plan is either A303 to Podimore, A372 to A361 and up through Street.

or

A303 a couple of miles past Podimore and then B roads past Butleigh to A361 at Glastonbury and cut the corner.

Any thoughts?

12 minutes ago, devonhammer said:

I'm coming a new way (for me) because I'm picking up a friend in Ilchester and then have to head to Accessible parking (by ped gate A). I'm not sure if the accessible pass gets me any alternative routes - perfect would be A361 past Pilton.

Plan is either A303 to Podimore, A372 to A361 and up through Street.

or

A303 a couple of miles past Podimore and then B roads past Butleigh to A361 at Glastonbury and cut the corner.

Any thoughts?

Afraid I have no certainty over whether an accessible pass would get you through the village East - West so probably best to plan otherwise to be safe and avoid a big detour if you get stopped.

From Ilchester then either of your routes would work, although the second is shorter (but takes you through some small villages...).  Another option would be to take the B3151 from Ilchester all the way to Street via Compton Dundon.

For getting away Monday morning, what are the main issues faced? Is it waiting to get out of the car park, or traffic on the roads around - or both?

I've never drove before and usually have a bus leaving at 7am , so never experienced any difficulties.

2 minutes ago, CH0161 said:

For getting away Monday morning, what are the main issues faced? Is it waiting to get out of the car park, or traffic on the roads around - or both?

I've never drove before and usually have a bus leaving at 7am , so never experienced any difficulties.

Usually getting out of car park, once onto the main roads it’s still slow but keeps moving. 

Had a look at the access roads around the festival - is it fair to say if you come from the east and end up in blue you'll have a better time getting out than coming from the west (pink / orange)?

Have heard some horror stories of getting out of pink / orange on the Monday and would be great if there's actually some evidence to back this up. Cheers!

9 hours ago, Flighty Zoo said:

Could someone recommend best route from North London so we can land on the west side of the festival to get through PGD?

Probably M4 then if you are brave go through Bristol M32>A37>A39>A361

If you don't mind a slightly longer route, then M4>M5 J23>A39>A361

Otherwise M4 to Chippenham turn off, then A4 to Bath, the A39 to Wells and Glastonbury then A361

10 hours ago, HH46810 said:

Had a look at the access roads around the festival - is it fair to say if you come from the east and end up in blue you'll have a better time getting out than coming from the west (pink / orange)?

Have heard some horror stories of getting out of pink / orange on the Monday and would be great if there's actually some evidence to back this up. Cheers!

Less about the roads outside the festival and more about congestion in the carpark itself tbh.  Either East or West could be adversely impacted by a breakdown, ground condition, and the time everyone decides to up sticks so it's a bit of a lottery.

Personally, I'd park wherever makes the car to camp to car trip easiest, ready yourself for a long wait to get out and just sit back and relax until things move.  If you get a swift exit then see that as a bonus.

Quick tip......note the What3Words of your car location before you head on site.  No-one wants to spend an hour trying to find their motor on Monday morning.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2024 at 11:01 AM, parsonjack said:

Afraid I have no certainty over whether an accessible pass would get you through the village East - West so probably best to plan otherwise to be safe and avoid a big detour if you get stopped.

From Ilchester then either of your routes would work, although the second is shorter (but takes you through some small villages...).  Another option would be to take the B3151 from Ilchester all the way to Street via Compton Dundon.

I've been told by accessibility team that I can go through Pilton, so I'm going to try.

46 minutes ago, JOP123 said:

Sorry if this has been asked already- What is the best route to access west parking from Shepton Mallet Wednesday morning? Can you drive down the B3136 and then through Pilton?

I'm sure someone more local will answer soon, but I'd say that you're going to have to go via Wells or navigate some minor country lanes.

38 minutes ago, devonhammer said:

I'm sure someone more local will answer soon, but I'd say that you're going to have to go via Wells or navigate some minor country lanes.

I’ve been taking exactly that route for years with no problems.  

I did notice this closure though, which makes me think good to get through before 8am on Wednesday.  Not sure where the dismantled railway line bridge is….

IMG_5469.jpeg

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, fraserdrew said:

For those coming from T'North - looks like there are 2 significant road closures overnight Tues-Weds:

M6 J10-8

M5 J14-16

Worth a search here: National Highways

Thanks for this.  Going to be tight to make it through before they shut the M5.