Kalorama Madrid 2024

Tigane

Okey dokey, time for a debrief for the few people in this forum. I think the overall consensus for me put simply is this...

Probably the ugliest festival site I've ever seen.

One of the strongest rainstorms I've been caught in at a festival.

Easily the best sound I've ever had at a festival.

Probably the best bang for buck you're going to get anywhere in Europe. That lineup (even with the acts that dropped out/got cancelled) was ridiculous.

After doing Primavera, Glasto and other festivals this summer it was actually such a treat to just have 2 proper stages back to back with almost no filler. That Saturday could easily be one of my favourite festival days ever. Aside from some minor bar queueing on the Saturday I had a stress free experience.

I know they probably took a huge loss on this one but with Mad Cool being way too hot and Primavera Madrid never coming back, this is probably the best festival Madrid has now in my opinion. Would welcome a Kalorama 2025 with open arms.

Very curious what others thought. 

HIGHLIGHTS:

- English Teacher

- Postal Service

- LCD

- Yves Tumor

- Overmono

- Ezra

- Olivia Dean

- Massive Attack

- Jungle

But enjoyed pretty much everything I saw. Peggy Gou the only lowlight for me but that was expected.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Gnarler said:

Okey dokey, time for a debrief for the few people in this forum. I think the overall consensus for me put simply is this...

Probably the ugliest festival site I've ever seen.

One of the strongest rainstorms I've been caught in at a festival.

Easily the best sound I've ever had at a festival.

Probably the best bang for buck you're going to get anywhere in Europe. That lineup (even with the acts that dropped out/got cancelled) was ridiculous.

After doing Primavera, Glasto and other festivals this summer it was actually such a treat to just have 2 proper stages back to back with almost no filler. That Saturday could easily be one of my favourite festival days ever. Aside from some minor bar queueing on the Saturday I had a stress free experience.

I know they probably took a huge loss on this one but with Mad Cool being way too hot and Primavera Madrid never coming back, this is probably the best festival Madrid has now in my opinion. Would welcome a Kalorama 2025 with open arms.

Very curious what others thought. 

HIGHLIGHTS:

- English Teacher

- Postal Service

- LCD

- Yves Tumor

- Overmono

- Ezra

- Olivia Dean

- Massive Attack

- Jungle

But enjoyed pretty much everything I saw. Peggy Gou the only lowlight for me but that was expected.

I agree with all of that.

I found it so easy going. As you say, so stress free. Picked up wrist band in the city in U-Music hotel. Toilet and bar situation was grand.

The weather in Madrid was mental though wasnt it. Crazy thunder and lightening.

It does look like they lost their conkers on the festival though. But it was fairly short notice comparatively. Hopefully they can solidify it with a proper 9 month lead in.

I had to sell my second ticket on ticket swap and only got 85 quid for it on the day itself.

You couldnt give them away.

LCD are just class.

Ive had a very "end of an era" type year or two music wise.

Seen Interpol do TOTBL, Arcade Fire do Funeral, Bloc Party do Silent Alarm, Death Cab/Postal Service, Arcade Monkeys look like they are gone for a while (or for good according to another poster who is in the know) and then LCD this weekend.

I actually looked at LCD on stage this weekend and thought that some of them were starting to look old.

Im losing my edge.....the kids are coming up from behind. But I was there.....

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

I found it so easy going. As you say, so stress free. Picked up wrist band in the city in U-Music hotel. Toilet and bar situation was grand.

It does look like they lost their conkers on the festival though. But it was fairly short notice comparatively. Hopefully they can solidify it with a proper 9 month lead in.

I had to sell my second ticket on ticket swap and only got 85 quid for it on the day itself.

LCD are just class.

Seen Interpol do TOTBL, Arcade Fire do Funeral, Bloc Party do Silent Alarm, Death Cab/Postal Service, Arcade Monkeys look like they are gone for a while (or for good according to another poster who is in the know) and then LCD this weekend.

I actually looked at LCD on stage this weekend and thought that some of them were starting to look old.

I echo this thought. I find I've been to so many great concerts but my bands are getting older.

Muse are in their 40s, can't hit the notes or energy of their gigs in their 20/30s.

Bloc Party on the other hand were the best I've seen them as were QOTSA.

I haven't found the next generation of bands I'll follow but I'll have slightly younger acts like Tame Impala, Vampire weekend, St Vincent, Bon Iver and Alt J to fill the gaps for the moment.

I don't feel there's a similar calibre of guitar led bands on the up and coming. Suggestions welcome

8 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

I echo this thought. I find I've been to so many great concerts but my bands are getting older.

Muse are in their 40s, can't hit the notes or energy of their gigs in their 20/30s.

I haven't found the next generation of bands I'll follow but I'll have slightly younger acts like Tame Impala, Vampire weekend, St Vincent, Bon Iver and Alt J to fill the gaps for the moment.

I don't feel there's a similar calibre of guitar led bands on the up and coming. Suggestions welcome

Horace Andy was great with Massive Attack, and he's 73 🙂

I also went to a festival last year of guitar bands from the 90s, and even some from the 80s. Still a surprising amount of energy in bands that peaked around 89-91, so the young pups from the 00s have a little time yet 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

Yeah Bloc Party were superb, but their new stuff isnt great . It was the old stuff that held the show together.

I find it hard to articulate, but it just feels like it's the end of the naughties and tens "officially". 

Covid might have bought us the odd reunion or anniversary tour cash grab, but it feels like the candle is about to burn out for good on most of the bands I held dear.

Im turning into the guy in the Rolling Stones T Shirt harking back to the good old days.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Drums Please Fab said:

LCD are just class.

Ooh that reminds me! We didn't get Losing My Edge did we? I think they replaced it with Daft Punk... which is one of my favourite live songs so I was very content.

Yeaaah that second hand ticket market seemed like a free-for-all. I totally understand people feeling a bit let down that some paid as much as €165 while others were paying under €80. But people whining about wanting a refund for The Smile cancelling or Raye being rained off the stage need to get a grip. That's just how festivals are. Especially one that is in its first year. I feel more like an investor than a customer. Still a crazy deal.

You're probably right that next year they'll give us some more notice and hopefully be able to announce a solid lineup before everyone already decides on their festivals for the summer.

Honestly, if they could bring that sound system back I'd happily pay the full price. 

Lovely crowd too! People from Madrid are incredibly lovely.

• Like 1