Shania!

CaledonianGonzo

3 hours ago, doogie said:

Shania sounded great from where I was in the pit.

Lulu would have been a better legend though.

Got to say Lulu was my surprise of the festival and I said to our group straightaway that it was a mistake not having her for the legend slot. She was really good and so happy about it.

I didn't see Shania but it seems there has been a bit of a mismatch of sound on tv and in the field a couple of times. Fontaines sounded quiet on tv but not especially in the field. Cyndi sounded ok on tv but terrible in the field.

52 minutes ago, matrainertje said:

This part of Glastonbury always confuses me, as a non-regular (and non-UK citizen).

Someone like Shania Twain getting crowds this size. In Belgium, these are the kind of smaller artists that wouldn't even be considered by big majors festivals like Rock Werchter and would be booked by a nostalgia fest where there would be around 1000 people. Same with someone like Cyndi Lauper. 

We like a banger. And we like to sing.

3 hours ago, matrainertje said:

This part of Glastonbury always confuses me, as a non-regular (and non-UK citizen).

Someone like Shania Twain getting crowds this size. In Belgium, these are the kind of smaller artists that wouldn't even be considered by big majors festivals like Rock Werchter and would be booked by a nostalgia fest where there would be around 1000 people. Same with someone like Cyndi Lauper. 

Its the Sunday, we're all tired and grubby, we just want to day drink and sing along badly to songs we know 🙂

6 hours ago, matrainertje said:

Especially as there was an absolute class act on The Pyramid at the same time.

It must be nearly impossible for GFL to crowd manage when so many either have no taste or are deliberately being ironic 

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

It must be nearly impossible for GFL to crowd manage when so many either have no taste or are deliberately being ironic 

Are you talking about when Avril Lavigne was on? If so I couldn't agree more, Janelle Monae was class.

8 hours ago, Helsbels said:

We were at the front for Shania on Sunday and had a great time and she sounded OK. Just put it on the Iplayer and she sounded awful. I was pretty much sober at the time as well so don't understand how it sounds so different 

Guns n Roses sounded amazing in the field too, but terrible on TV. Three American acts over two years, perhaps bringing their own sound people? Shania definitely did. Did that guy soundchecking know he was on a live mic to the whole audience? 

Edited by efcfanwirral

9 hours ago, Helsbels said:

We were at the front for Shania on Sunday and had a great time and she sounded OK. Just put it on the Iplayer and she sounded awful. I was pretty much sober at the time as well so don't understand how it sounds so different 

Confirmation bias, you're having a great time and you want it to sound great so it does.

22 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Guns n Roses sounded amazing in the field too, but terrible on TV. Three American acts over two years, perhaps bringing their own sound people? Shania definitely did. Did that guy soundchecking know he was on a live mic to the whole audience? 

Did it? I was laughing at how bad Axl sounded when I got there

Slash was mint though

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It plays a part, but the people sat at home get a different audio mix to the folk in the field.

Yeah its always interesting to come home and actually be able to hear the voices/keyboards/any other random instrument in the mix. Balming Tiger a great example of this. In the field, head wobbling bass, on iPlayer, perfectly normal mashup of pop/hiphop/random other genres.

16 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Some of us paid good money to see her own show! Absolutely class! 

IMG_7027.jpeg