The Very Official eFestivals Meet-Up 🎪

eFestivals

8 hours ago, Drew3232 said:

This meet-up sounds like fun. I take it there is an orgy later on?

the orgy's stopped after the big clap incident of 2008!

On 5/19/2024 at 3:49 PM, dizzymoo said:

Me a bit, but not because I don't want to meet people. I have a sort of face-blindness which means I struggle to recognise people, even though I've seen them at previous meets. I do really want to thank the wonderful people who helped us get tickets this year though, so will make a special effort. Please wear avatar t shirts or other identifying items or I'll spend the whole time in mortified embarrassment!

Maaaate. I feel that. Though mine is magnified as I feel I recognise the face but really struggle with names, then I worry that it's not who I think it is! The struggle is real.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Superscally said:

Maaaate. I feel that. Though mine is magnified as I feel I recognise the face but really struggle with names, then I worry that it's not who I think it is! The struggle is real.

I can pass people I've worked with for 20 years and not remember their names...until about 2 mins after I passed them. 

I blame meds I take, but tbh it's half as likely to be misspent youth 🙄

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I can pass people I've worked with for 20 years and not remember their names...until about 2 mins after I passed them. 

I blame meds I take, but tbh it's half as likely to be misspent youth 🙄

i'm rubbish with names and faces always was, my well-spent youth didn't alter that, a recent-ish serious brain injury has made it worse.

6 minutes ago, Superscally said:

The brain is a wondrous and terrifying thing

yeah, was amazing when my brain woke my paralysed leg, and more recently woke my paralysed hand. 🙂 

Edited by Neil
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6

For those feeling apprehensive about the awkwardness of forgetting names / not knowing who everyone is etc…

I’ll be coming solo, and to my first efests meet since the cider bus in the very early 2000s. I love this forum and get so much from it, but honestly couldn’t recall more than a few usernames, and certainly won’t feel like I know / recognise anyone there. I’ll also definitely forget every name I’m told within 3 sips of cider!

But I still think it will be a great way to bring this community to life, and I’m sure no one will really mind me forgetting their name or asking them to repeat it for the third time (sorry in advance!).

I’m sure everyone else would echo this, but if you’re lurking around the edges, come and say hello - most of us will be in the same boat of mingling with a load of strangers whose names we can’t quite remember!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Ah amazing! Chuffed to hear that dude!

thanks, hand is still useless as i don't have any functional control. i'm still putting loads of work into my leg and am slowly heading towards normal. its probably not a good thing that i now have a stairs-free life.

not so easy to change that (for the exercise), i'm on the 3rd floor and there are stairs but my powered wheels need the lift which is a long way from the stairs, and i need my powered wheels because the corridors in this place go on forever. not sure that i could walk to the main entrance its so far.

3 hours ago, Neil said:

thanks, hand is still useless as i don't have any functional control. i'm still putting loads of work into my leg and am slowly heading towards normal. its probably not a good thing that i now have a stairs-free life.

not so easy to change that (for the exercise), i'm on the 3rd floor and there are stairs but my powered wheels need the lift which is a long way from the stairs, and i need my powered wheels because the corridors in this place go on forever. not sure that i could walk to the main entrance its so far.

Great to get anything back though and you can go to plenty of places out and about for a bit of stair practice 👍

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Great to get anything back though and you can go to plenty of places out and about for a bit of stair practice 👍

if i'm that determined to do stairs i'd be best doing them here, where my emergency call button works,  should i need assistance.

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Yes good point.  

it is, but i'm glad we've had this little convo, as its hammered that point home to me, which i'd not rationalised in the same way before now!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

1 week out … anyone thinking of lurking and not sure wether to join in ? 

I am not there this year sadly... but last year (after several years of lurking) i plucked up the courage to go and say hello to the guy with the 'big hat'.. Several beers later I had enjoyed conversations with a number of strangers that couldnt have been more welcoming.. (a couple of whom were gracious enough to offer help in the resale scramble.. You know who you are 🙏)

Wish I could be there to welcome any first time lurkers myself...

Have a great time everybody!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BlueDaze said:

I am not there this year sadly... but last year (after several years of lurking) i plucked up the courage to go and say hello to the guy with the 'big hat'.. Several beers later I had enjoyed conversations with a number of strangers that couldnt have been more welcoming.. (a couple of whom were gracious enough to offer help in the resale scramble.. You know who you are 🙏)

Wish I could be there to welcome any first time lurkers myself...

Have a great time everybody!

good to meet you and possibly see you  next year 🙂 . and yep its good meeting people from here for many reasons