Tent Security in Pre Erected Campsites

MissGirl

Hi all, I’m a young woman looking to go to Glastonbury with my friend, also a young woman. My mum is worried we’re not gonna be safe in a tent/ on site accommodation due to people breaking in and possibly assaulting you however I haven’t heard much about this. I’m planning to stay at Worthy View or Sticklinch, wondering how safe everyone thinks this is? 

I was in SL in 2022, and it was very calm and peaceful for the most part. There was stewards on both entrances. However I have heard that a number of people did jump the fence in SL and then run into the festival. I did not see any of this myself, and I think those concerned were probably just interested in getting into the festival and not causing trouble in SL. 

In general terms in the 6/7 times I have camped my tent has never been broken into, but I know it does happen. Your general personal security is much the same as if you were going into a big city on a night out. I would say Glasto is probably safer than most city centres though. 

Have you actually got tickets? Getting a tent in WV or SL at this late stage is going to be tricky. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MissGirl said:

Hi all, I’m a young woman looking to go to Glastonbury with my friend, also a young woman. My mum is worried we’re not gonna be safe in a tent/ on site accommodation due to people breaking in and possibly assaulting you however I haven’t heard much about this. I’m planning to stay at Worthy View or Sticklinch, wondering how safe everyone thinks this is? 

Glastonbury is one of the safest festivals you can ever go too. Not saying crime never happens, but it's extremely low. People are there to have a good time and are very friendly and helpful. There are lots of stewards around who are always ready to assist.

There are simple steps festival goers should take to minimise being a victim of crime. Never leave valuables, money, credit/debit cards, keys etc in your tent. These can be safely stored in the free lock-ups which are dotted around the site. Some though prefer to conceal them about their person in a bodybelt/wallet.

Suggest you read this if you haven't already done so.

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/advice/crime-reduction-and-personal-safety/#:~:text=Free property lock-ups are,against you or your friends.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lycra said:

Glastonbury is one of the safest festivals you can ever go too. Not saying crime never happens, but it's extremely low. People are there to have a good time and are very friendly and helpful. There are lots of stewards around who are always ready to assist.

There are simple steps festival goers should take to minimise being a victim of crime. Never leave valuables, money, credit/debit cards, keys etc in your tent. These can be safely stored in the free lock-ups which are dotted around the site. Some though prefer to conceal them about their person in a bodybelt/wallet.

Suggest you read this if you haven't already done so.

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/advice/crime-reduction-and-personal-safety/#:~:text=Free property lock-ups are,against you or your friends.

I imagine you mean one of the safest big festivals? I'm sure there are lots of safer smaller festivals.

14 hours ago, al_coholic said:

I was in SL in 2022, and it was very calm and peaceful for the most part. There was stewards on both entrances. However I have heard that a number of people did jump the fence in SL and then run into the festival. I did not see any of this myself, and I think those concerned were probably just interested in getting into the festival and not causing trouble in SL. 

In general terms in the 6/7 times I have camped my tent has never been broken into, but I know it does happen. Your general personal security is much the same as if you were going into a big city on a night out. I would say Glasto is probably safer than most city centres though. 

Have you actually got tickets? Getting a tent in WV or SL at this late stage is going to be tricky. 

Nah I'm planning to go in a couple of years time (cost of living crisis and whatnot), also wondering if people say putting locks on your tent makes you a target, if the same goes for lockable structures like the Podpad which are wooden and not tents?

8 hours ago, MissGirl said:

Nah I'm planning to go in a couple of years time (cost of living crisis and whatnot), also wondering if people say putting locks on your tent makes you a target, if the same goes for lockable structures like the Podpad which are wooden and not tents?

So with no tickets you're just fact finding for potentially going in a future year. In terms of safety Glasto is certainly no worse than a Friday or Saturday night out....it's probably much safer! The number one worry for people who want to go to Glasto is getting tickets. Demand greatly exceeds availability leaving a huge number of disappointed people. According to some reports nearly 2.5million  are registered  with the festival in the hope of buying one of the 135,000 tickets. If you're not aware, people wanting a ticket must firstly register with the festival and provide a their passport style photograph.

The list of people's  worries then continue with camping, the queue to get in, the toilet!, mud/dust, the weather, alcohol and somewhere near the bottom....safety.

The most bizarre worry ever came across from a festival goer was "where can I plug my hairdryer in?  !**&!@@!

Edited by Lycra

I guess it's the same for WV and SL but Tangerine Fields residents have wristbands which are checked going into the site, which has a fenced perimeter.  That wouldn't stop the most determined tent thief who could probably scale the fence at some point but it does add a layer of security that doesn't exist in general on-site camping.  

We've stayed in Tangerine Fields a number of times and to date have not heard of or witnessed any tent break-ins or the like. 

• Like 1

Crime can happen anywhere, I would imagine your chances of being the victim of one of the crimes you mention in a pre-erected campsite at Glastonbury are far far lower, than just being out and about from your house and doing just about anything.

In a pre-erected campsite you're surrounded by like minded people who have paid an awful lot of money to be there. Yes people could break in, but if they wanted to rob or assault someone there are far far easier ways to do it than making their way to Glastonbury and trying evade various security measures, if they're breaking it its to get into the festival.

On 5/18/2024 at 10:03 AM, al_coholic said:

I was stewarding there in 2022 and yes, there were a lot of fence jumpers (can't remember which night my overnight shift was, possibly Friday, but security were run ragged) but you are correct, they were only bothered about one thing and that was getting in to the festival site. Think it was a combo of some not realising it wasn't the actual festival and some seeing it as a potential soft touch.

5 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I was stewarding there in 2022 and yes, there were a lot of fence jumpers (can't remember which night my overnight shift was, possibly Friday, but security were run ragged) but you are correct, they were only bothered about one thing and that was getting in to the festival site. Think it was a combo of some not realising it wasn't the actual festival and some seeing it as a potential soft touch.

Yeah, so they had to break in twice really?