Cyndi Lauper

Pateen

She was f**king rubbish by every measure possible. I think it’s a really good argument against the tradition of getting “legendary” artists like this to play.

Fact of the matter is she only has three songs familiar to broad audiences, and she’s a terrible performer. 

Could have had someone newer with more populist appeal play instead. If I wanted to listen to an off key version of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, I’d go to Karaoke night at my local. 

13 minutes ago, kugglaw said:

She was f**king rubbish by every measure possible. I think it’s a really good argument against the tradition of getting “legendary” artists like this to play.

Fact of the matter is she only has three songs familiar to broad audiences, and she’s a terrible performer. 

Could have had someone newer with more populist appeal play instead. If I wanted to listen to an off key version of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, I’d go to Karaoke night at my local. 

Grace Jones would have been a better choice. 

6 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I think you guys should give her some slack. She's 71 years old and on her last tour. She's a real trailblazer for women in rock and an influence to many. Her band and backing singers etc were fine - I think we can overlook a few bum notes, as we have to many others in recent times.

I don't think she was as bad as some are making out. Don't get me wrong, she was rubbish. But worst ever? Nah.

This Saturday is probably the weakest Glasto day I can ever remember. It's utterly dreadful across the board but my god that Cyndi Lauper set will take some topping. It was utterly woeful. Forget pitch problems...she wasn't even in time for her own songs. It's time to give up now. 

Edited by Benjsh

On 6/29/2024 at 3:43 PM, Pinhead said:

That explains it. A fan - true colours came out when I was 10 - but the sound was dreadful. Anyone above the mixing desks suffered - no pilons / repeaters operating it seemed.

Sound was dreadful, was halfway up the field but literally couldn't hear her, didn't help being surrounded by people with no interest talking, but it was a large crowd, volume should have been far higher, will have to watch the set back to make any judgement on her voice. Really disappointing.

On 6/29/2024 at 8:43 PM, Benjsh said:

This Saturday is probably the weakest Glasto day I can ever remember. It's utterly dreadful across the board but my god that Cyndi Lauper set will take some topping. It was utterly woeful. Forget pitch problems...she wasn't even in time for her own songs. It's time to give up now. 

Agreed. We were quite close to the front and at the start, couldn’t hear her vocals as the mix was screwed. Then a few songs in I saw the recorder and burst out laughing. The second half improved, but she missed so many beats and was off key. I actually felt sorry for her.

Should have gone with my gut and f**ked it off for Otoboke Beaver.

I walked past the Pyramid when she was on.  As I approached, I genuinely thought no-one was playing as I couldn't hear anything.  And then I heard a truly awful rendition of a bit of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.  So glad I didn't choose to waste time there.  I was tempted as I thought it might be a good singalong, and then remembered I hadn't actually liked her when she was first around and find her voice whiney and nasal.  I was nearly swept along for nostalgia for something I never liked!