Your Glastonbury Years - Ranked!

The Red Telephone

24 minutes ago, AtomsForPizza said:

AA came and towed the car to a safe space at Gloucester services. I then slept in the car (seeing as it was about 2am on Wednesday morning), woke up early and managed to hitchhike to the festival. I left my car keys with the garage at the service station and the car got recovered to home. 

Was all a bit of a nightmare and pretty stressful way to start the festival. But I was glad to still make it to the fest on the Weds! 

That would probably finish me off!! Glad it got sorted though!

Hitchhiking to the festival sounds terrible I'd probably be lazy and pay to get a cab and then a train from Gloucester or something 

Ahhh, this is a lovely thread! so many things to reminsce about! its hard to rank em, and none have been anything other than brilliant, but the most brilliant in this order: 

2010 - flaming lips, stevie wonder, my first completely hot and dry festival, has to be a winner. I just loved the whole buildup to Stevie on the sunday - something magical about the momentum of going towards something amazing as the pinnacle and the festival closer. beautiful. 

2005 - my first one, so has to be right up there. Got there on the thursday morning (this is pre-wednesday arrivals for most) and it was boiling hot, couldnt see any way in which it wouldnt be hot and dry all weekend 😄 then the heavens cracked open and we all got absolutely shat on. My missus of the time got despatched out to find wellies for me on the friday morning, and we pieced together the weekend from there under six inches of standing water! White Stripes were absolutely magnificent, dont really have any other standout sets from that year though. I had an absolutely magnificent poo on the sunday to a soundtrack of the Levellers though, that lives long in the memory. 

2017 -  Dead Kennedys on the Truth stage instead of the Foos saturday night, and we had a beer with them afterwards! Frank carter in the JP before the Killers was an absolute moment, and my favourite ever set- ho99o9 at the Earache express - was this year. As was Napalm Death on the Truth stage.

Actually, i might move this up to top! 

2019 - first year i volunteered with oxfam, and again it had that whole week's buildup and anticipation of a magnificent closer i was really keen to see - this one being The Cure. Absolutely amazing sound quality that night - its always stayed with me. Gojira were ace too, and there was a whole metal stage, the only year we had that! 

2022 - i got earlies this year, so was onsite from the saturday beforehand! weather was amazing, too bloody hot if anything. I got interviewed by radio 2, that was kind of fun! My missus of the time got the raging hump that i was off gallivanting and having fun while she was at home, so that took the shine off somewhat. We're er, not together any more. This was the first one where i made a conscious effort not to drink too much alcohol, and to really temper my intake. Better for energy, the memories, the whole shebang. Turnstile and Amyl and the sniffers at the JP were splendid 

2023 - That rolling momentum to a sunday headliner again, with Elton John! again volunteered, shifts served me well, weather turned up, just a good solid year - skindred and ho99o9 on the Truth stage were a great way to kick off on the thursday 

2014 - the Pixies, my favourite band of all time, play my favourite festival. marvellous scenes (and a good old bit of Metallica too) and i dragged my missus to see Royal Blood at the JP, before they'd released an album - she didnt like em, and then six months rediscovered them and became a massive fan, somewhat after the fact 

2016 - mud, brexit, all that jazz. Dont particularly remember much in the way of performances til Justice on the sunday, which was ace. That was a notably rum heavy year 

2008 - great swathes of nothing to recall, apart from my missus of the time getting on the space cakes and then getting all paranoid and refusing to come out of the tent for a night - i got sent out to fetch her an endless amount of snacks. I remember all the headliners being shite on the sunday, so we went for a wander instead 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 6:00 PM, gherkin8r said:

Is that you @FuzzyDunlop??

Ha. Nope.

My ranks

2016 - Loved it, even more than any other. Friday night, Underworld. If I could relive any Glastonbury day again, it'd be that. From Dakkhabrakka onwards. Unreal.

2014 - Amazing. The only time I've watched all 3 headliners. 

2011 - Pulp / Chems / Stone Circle. What a Saturday. Finished with QOTSA. I was in a right mess.

2023 - Enjoyed it more than I had in a few. Wasnt as hammered as I was at others, Saturday was hard - but I coped better than a few of my mates did. I did go a bit mental after Elton in the SE corner though.

2009 - You never forget your 1st time.

2015 - To say this ranks so lowly says how much I've loved it. Had an absolutely mega weekend. Leftfield!

2017 - The Flaming Lips were a massive highlight. Chic & Barry Gibb on Sunday were ace.

2019 - Too hot, but Sunday's Kylie, Miley & Janelle Monae trio was splendid.

2010 - Far too hot. Really struggled, but musically - what I saw was great (except the Gorillaz). Stevie Wonder though. One of the best sets I've seen there.

2022 - It was great to be back though the Weather was too hot for me. I had a good time, but this is my least favourite. Shows how much I loved my time if 2022 was my leaat favourite.

My ranking is almost entirely random beyond 2009

2008 - 4 - My first. Arrived Saturday hangover from school leavers ball, camped next to the ribbon tower because f**k the rules (read: couldn’t find anywhere else). Fell in love and have never looked back.

2009 - 1 - Blur. Plus otherwise stellar lineup and perfect weather

2010 - 6 - Hot. I spent most of my time just outside JP watching acts that would soon headline- Florence, Mumford, Foals. Managed one burnt ear but that was all the damage done somehow. Muse were unbelievable, I am one of the few who enjoyed Gorillaz. A year that proved hot is hard on the farm.

2011 - 10 - Wet. U2 in the driving sideways rain, sacked off the SE corner to go to bed with a hot cider. Finally got dry and warm then immediately needed a wee. I could have cried. (I’m not a Lenor bottle person)

2013 - 3 -  First one with Mrs Beaver. I was shaking when the Stones were announced and they didn’t disappoint.

2014 - 7 - Sticky. Metallica bossed it. I stayed out until after 5am for the first time at the fest (had been in bed by 2:30 all previous nights) smoking in the Greenpeace hammocks with mates. An infamous photo was taken of my forehead. I don’t do selfies.

2015 - 8 - Kanye was rubbish. The Who didn’t want to be there in spite of cancelling a show to do it. Florence should have always headlined in her own right and absolutely nailed it. Lionel’s amazement shone through the botox, Motorhead were so much fun and the Libertines came to me so I saw them I suppose. A forgotten year to me but recounting it now a proper good one!

2016 - 9 - Wet and we didn’t know we wouldn’t be back for a long, long time. Adele was just stunning and I wasn’t a big fan going in. Hello was a moment and a half. First one I got fit for and it made a massive difference. Christine and the Queens set was extraordinary for something that early in the day, and Foals should have headlined instead of Muse.

2022 - 2 - Relieved to be back after 6 years and after Covid, Wednesday was a hubristic day for all of us. First time being beyond plastered at the festival, first proper hangover on Thursday and the last time as I gave up alcohol in the October. Line up will never be as strong as a year where every band had been locked up for to years. I got sunburn, hangover, and food poisoning and it was still one of the best years ever.

2023 - 5 - First one sober. Alcohol is a medical necessity by Saturday night to numb the soles of your feet. Elton John with basically everyone I knew at the farm was a highlight.

Honourable mention to 2017 that proved I could survive not going even if Foos and Radiohead were playing - two bands I waited years for!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kemosabe said:

5. 2016 - Unreal line up imo. Just lots to love all the way through from top to bottom, but the mud made it a complete slog. Then Brexit absolutely crushed the place. Not being able to sit down was a complete game changer for me (in the worst possible sense). New Order left me a bit flat which didn't help. Earth Wind and Fire were amazing but I was so exhusted by that point (them LCD and Coldplay was the biggest clash I've ever had by the way). Chvches, Foals, Tame Impala, Discolure & Little Simz were all highlights. Got home and watched England lose to Iceland in the Euros - a low to end a tough one. 

This was the thing about 2016 I think, it wasn't just the mud - although that was horrific. Brexit really lowered the mood and there was that sense on Sunday that the next day you would have to go back to the awful reality. I remember getting the train back to Bristol and a few non-Glasto folks getting on and asking us all what the l vibe has been after the news broke. Plus the very sad tributes to Jo Cox, and I think it was the year the Syrian Orchestra played.

It was all a bit dark really!

4 minutes ago, Sasperella2 said:

This was the thing about 2016 I think, it wasn't just the mud - although that was horrific. Brexit really lowered the mood and there was that sense on Sunday that the next day you would have to go back to the awful reality. I remember getting the train back to Bristol and a few non-Glasto folks getting on and asking us all what the l vibe has been after the news broke. Plus the very sad tributes to Jo Cox, and I think it was the year the Syrian Orchestra played.

It was all a bit dark really!

Yeah completely! This is complete speculation, but I think if 2017 had been a muddy one as well then the festival might have been in a completely different place today. I think a lot of people went away feeling down after that one, and we're willing to give it one more go. 

2019 - too hot, but the best time ever!! Dr Meaker, Dub Pistols, Damned, Idles, Fat White Family, Elvis Dead

2015 - last time with the kids, the Who, Motorhead, SFA, Buzzcocks, The Fall, Spiritualized, would be top but my best friend snapped her cruciate on theatre field while attempting a high kick

2016 - stuck for 11 hours at Shepton Mallet to get on site, lost both wellies to the mud in a urinal up by the park almost cried but a nice bloke carried me out and another brought my wellies to me, ZZ Top, Muse, James,  ELO, Selecter.. Brexit too 😞

2009 - my first..  me, wife, kids and friends with their kids..- Specials, Neil Young, Spinal tap

2014 - just me and the kids and friends with their kids again.. Selecter,  Blondie

2010 - too Hot again !.. me, wife, kids and friends with their kids..marriage ended the day after we got back - Snoop, Muse, toots 

2013 -  just me and the kids and friends with their kids.. severe food poisoning led me to be sick in my shorts while on a long drop at 3am in kidz field - The Stones, The Beat (twice), Dinosaur Jr

2022 - Wet Leg, yard Act, Dub Pistols, JAMC, could have been the best, but ruined by gout, had to leave Sunday afternoon as pain was too much

Edited by Congo powers

4 hours ago, kemosabe said:

Yeah completely! This is complete speculation, but I think if 2017 had been a muddy one as well then the festival might have been in a completely different place today. I think a lot of people went away feeling down after that one, and we're willing to give it one more go. 

The only one I've missed since 2009 is 2017.  I didn't even try for tickets as 2016 had been difficult, for reasons other than just the weather.  Really regretted it afterwards, but agree that if it had been another muddy one, things may have been different for 2019.

Just now, 4AssedMonkey said:

The only one I've missed since 2009 is 2017.  I didn't even try for tickets as 2016 had been difficult, for reasons other than just the weather.  Really regretted it afterwards, but agree that if it had been another muddy one, things may have been different for 2019.

It was one of the reasons (apart from Jay-Z) that 2008 sold so poorly was that so many people struggled with 2007 that they couldn't face it again.

Several of our crowd took a year off because of that.

2011 & 2013 – the best craic years

2007 & 2016 – horrific weather but blind drunk years.

2010, 2019 & 2022 – the currant bun years

2004, 2005 & 2008 – the mid 00’s /uni years

2002 – my first one! Some band called Coldplay were on.. whatever happened to them?

2014, 2015, 2017 – the ‘other’ years (nothing wrong with them, just cant think of a better way to group them)

• 3 months later...

1. 1982 - my first. Blew my mind and got hooked from then, worked as a volunteer steward.

2. 2016 - my last. Knew it would be due to health & caring commitments. I'd done 21 Glasto's by then, many many happy memories stumbling about all weekend. Bawled my eyes out as usual to Billy Bragg doing Between The Wars, last band I saw there was Underworld on West Holts. Trying to bounce in me wellies propped up by an oil drum rubbish bin (I'm an old git), it was a lovely way to hang up me tent pegs.

I still help co-ordinate a team of stewards each year. 

Tis a magical place and everyone should do it at least once.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, A Particular Grey Chihuahu said:

My friend, who is a regular, raves about 2008.

I've always felt that one was a bit more 'loose' than all the others I've been to, partly due to tickets being available right up until the festival started....

• Upvote 1

2005 - my first, I often think the first is usually the best as you are never quite prepared for what is to come. Also the rain on Thursday night and the flood in Pennards made the news and became such a talking point, a real eye opener for a first timer. Cracking festival after that, I don't think I have ever been so chilled/content/happy than when watching Doves on the Pyramid that Friday afternoon, probably my favourite band at the time on an iconic stage

2008 - the first year of Shangri La (I think) and the first time I saw the pyrotechnics at Arcadia (although I think it was there in 2007 but must have missed it that year for some reason) Shangri La was a real game change I thought especially the lanes and all the micro-venues, really blew me away. I think both those areas were a real game changer for the festival, really took it to another level of wonderfulness

2013 - only for the fact that I saw there of the greatest sets I have ever seen there that year - Portishead still goes down as my all time favourite. Also Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and of course the Stones. Three incredible gigs

• Upvote 1

I really struggle with this

first festival was 2004 . they all then tend to blend in to one . if you mention someone who played I may then remember that year. 

some really stand out 

2010 first time it was f**king sunny for me 

obvs 2004 and 2005 first two festivals and very wet 

after that I am struggling