Bearded Theory 2025

4 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I can see Bearded surviving and doing really well - just not quite as it was 10 years ago.

So, Meadow was introduced last year and Coda was new for this year? Were they new-new or did they simply replace existing smaller tents? For example, before Coda was Big Ed the only dance music venue on the site?

I'm interested in how the site has evolved and how it might evolve in the future.

6 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

So, Meadow was introduced last year and Coda was new for this year? Were they new-new or did they simply replace existing smaller tents? For example, before Coda was Big Ed the only dance music venue on the site?

I'm interested in how the site has evolved and how it might evolve in the future.

Coda was a like for like replacement for Magical Sounds. Big Ed was a like for like replacement for The Pirate Ship.

In all honesty, aside from the addition of the Meadow Stage the site has barely changed. There's been a handful of tiny stages (Showcase, Knockerdown) come and go, and Maui Waui and Magical Sounds swapped locations at one point but really anyone who went 10 years ago would easily recognise it today.

12 hours ago, Neil said:

gonna get worse because there's not the same stream of bands coming thru to keep drawing the punters in, even the older bands are (literally) dying away.

Neil, do you think festivals will start going the way of most small to mid size venues with booking more tribute bands? With the demand for classic rock acts from the 60s/70s relatively undiminished but the bands themselves either dead, dying or permanently retired, I can see that it would be an easy win for festivals to have a stage/tent dedicated to tribute acts. I suppose some of the bigger more established tribute acts would be a bit pricey though?

I LOVE finding new stuff at a festival, but I'm pretty eclectic and like to move around a site and can see that I would enjoy dipping into some nostalgic tribute acts if they were good, in the same way that I like dipping into a dance music stage playing retro stuff from the 90s.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

Coda was a like for like replacement for Magical Sounds. Big Ed was a like for like replacement for The Pirate Ship.

In all honesty, aside from the addition of the Meadow Stage the site has barely changed.

Oh, okay, that explains things then, thanks. I was trying to think what occupied the spaces before!

Personally, I'd like to see the Coda and Maui Waui tents get a bit bigger. I get that for most of their acts during the day the size is about right and you don't want small crowds in a big tent as that always feels a bit naff. But there were a couple of times later on at both when they were rammed and I had to make do with being outside.

PS I was impressed with the Maui 'vibe', I enjoy a mix of gypsy, klezmer, balkan, funk and brass related stuff and so am tempted to go to their own festival next year - anyone been to it before?

1 hour ago, Kurosagi said:

Neil, do you think festivals will start going the way of most small to mid size venues with booking more tribute bands? With the demand for classic rock acts from the 60s/70s relatively undiminished but the bands themselves either dead, dying or permanently retired, I can see that it would be an easy win for festivals to have a stage/tent dedicated to tribute acts. I suppose some of the bigger more established tribute acts would be a bit pricey though?

I LOVE finding new stuff at a festival, but I'm pretty eclectic and like to move around a site and can see that I would enjoy dipping into some nostalgic tribute acts if they were good, in the same way that I like dipping into a dance music stage playing retro stuff from the 90s.

hadn't considered the tribute band angle, not a bad idea if you can find enough bands they cover. 

personally i tend to avoid tribute acts as i (wrongly!) think they're a bit naff, but I've seen tributes to Abba, the doors, talking heads and pink Floyd, and they've all been utterly superb, completely nailing it. next on my tribute list will maybe be the rem tribute called 'stipe'.

1 hour ago, Kurosagi said:

Meadow was ne w new
Coda replaced Magical Sounds
Big Ed replaced the Pirate ship

2 hours ago, Kurosagi said:

Sigur Ros would make me a 100% deffo for next year.

Has the festival had much post rock stuff in the past? Mogwai, Godspeed, Silver Mt Zion, 65DOS, This Will Destroy You, Swans would all make me happy.

And whilst Nick Cave would be waaay too expensive, I'd bloody love Warren Ellis and his Dirty Three band, they would absolutely blow up any stage they were on.

Don't think the clientele would be that impressed with a Sigur Ros headline set at Bearded. There has been some biggish names headlining in the past who are a bit outside of the usual genres they put on and the crowd was miniscule, i'm looking at you Interpol.

I'd like to see Elbow headline, their stock is on the decline but maybe still too big for Bearded?

Otherwise, I'm hoping for another "Wow! I didn't see that coming" moment, like when they announced Jane's Addiction, Patti Smith and Robert Plant.

32 minutes ago, Flaminglippy said:

Virtually nobody else was...

I had a brief look, saw more people on the stage than were in the crowd.

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I'd like to see Elbow headline, their stock is on the decline but maybe still too big for Bearded?

Too dull for Bearded more like.

Edited by Johnnyseven

13 minutes ago, onemoresolo said:

I really enjoyed Interpol but putting them up against the Bunnymen was a bad move.

Yeah...we stayed until the end and enjoyed it. It just happens sometimes. I remember a festival in the centre of Brum which Editors headlined but majority of the crowd buggered off after J&MC finished. 

32 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Otherwise, I'm hoping for another "Wow! I didn't see that coming" moment, like when they announced Jane's Addiction, Patti Smith and Robert Plant.

Along those lines...how about Lenny Kravitz. 

How about Self-Esteem? Too big? 

Surprised Manics have never played Bearded (unless they have)

Edited by Flaminglippy

5 hours ago, onemoresolo said:

I really enjoyed Interpol but putting them up against the Bunnymen was a bad move.

No that was fine, just should have swapped stages for them both! 

6 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

Lenny Kravitz. 

a big diva apparently, and not really worth the work. so someone who worked with him once told me.

Edited by Neil

Just had the email to say tickets on sale next week for 2025.

Dates are from the Wednesday onwards.
Glad it’s definitely on.

Some tickets at this years price.

I am still tired from this one!

Edited by ciderbus

On 5/30/2024 at 11:03 AM, OKMess said:

A buddy of mine said he spoke to the booker and the only titbit he got was that one of the headliners was 'International'. 

Based on that and vibes alone I'd guess one of either Alice in Chains, Bjork or Pixies. 

EDIT - After reading someone elses comment I'd add Sigur Ros to that list. 

King Gizzard perhaps? I think they'd fit the bill splendidly

• Upvote 2

A couple of non-music wishlist items for me.

Main one is to return the beer offering at the main bars to it's previous standard and variety.

Also room for a bit of extra signage- particularly to show the family/quiet camping and maybe a " no chairs beyond this point" in the Pallet arena. Think there used to be some. 

• Like 1

If you think people on the forums moan a lot about Bearded you should go on the Wychwood one...bloody hell. We went last Sunday for the day and it was like a village fete with a great soundtrack but the whinging, particularly from the people in the VIP area was putting me right off ('its too far from the stage' 'its too close to the funfair', 'there are people standing up in front of the VIP area', 'the bar has run out of ice') 

Probably a bit too early for them to return to Bearded but just had an email from DHP about a Flaming Lips tour of the UK in April/May. 

Edited by Flaminglippy

7 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

Probably a bit too early for them to return to Bearded but just had an email from DHP about a Flaming Lips tour of the UK in April/May

Hmmm, dilemma time...buy a ticket for the Lips in Bristol or cross my fingers they do BT or another UK festival, tricky...

Would it *really* be too soon to have them back at BT? I'd bloody love it.

13 hours ago, Kurosagi said:

Hmmm, dilemma time...buy a ticket for the Lips in Bristol or cross my fingers they do BT or another UK festival, tricky...

Would it *really* be too soon to have them back at BT? I'd bloody love it.

It really would be too soon for them to be back at BT.