EE masts on site this year?

donut

Last year we had good coverage from both EE and Vodafone. Vodafone's partnership with the festival was confirmed very late in the day (last year), and it occurs to me that EE's presence in 2023 may have been partly due to some existing contracts that could not be cancelled in time or for other reasons that may not apply this year.

Does anyone here have any info as to whether EE will have masts on site in 2024? I imagine any official word from EE, if they do have masts this year, would be embargoed (due to Vodafone being the official partner). 

I'm not looking for any other hints, just definitive info re EE in 2024.

Thanks 😊 

1 hour ago, Iphigenia said:

I was going to ask about reception and what the best options were. Due to family matters i need to have decent contact.

A few people - myself included - got cheap SIM cards with Lebara who use the Vodafone network. Definitely worth looking into as it worked flawlessly last year for me when needed.

4 hours ago, Iphigenia said:

I was going to ask about reception and what the best options were. Due to family matters i need to have decent contact.

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

A few people - myself included - got cheap SIM cards with Lebara who use the Vodafone network. Definitely worth looking into as it worked flawlessly last year for me when needed.

+1 for Lebara. Worked great.

12 hours ago, donut said:

Last year we had good coverage from both EE and Vodafone. Vodafone's partnership with the festival was confirmed very late in the day (last year), and it occurs to me that EE's presence in 2023 may have been partly due to some existing contracts that could not be cancelled in time or for other reasons that may not apply this year.

Does anyone here have any info as to whether EE will have masts on site in 2024? I imagine any official word from EE, if they do have masts this year, would be embargoed (due to Vodafone being the official partner). 

Thanks 😊 

When I visited Pilton a month or so ago the EE coverage wasn’t very good at all . Maybe they do add some extra masts for the fest for users as it was significantly better during the festival 

Lebara worked flawlessly for me last year, as did EE (but I wouldn't count on EE this year unless someone in the know can confirm they have masts this year)

One of our crew was on a different network that was useless,  but was able to get an incredible value Vodafone sim on site from the Vodafone tent.

Main thing is to make sure your handset is unlocked before hand if you think you might need to get a new sim.

On 5/30/2024 at 7:20 AM, donut said:

I imagine any official word from EE, if they do have masts this year, would be embargoed (due to Vodafone being the official partner). 

EE responded to a question about in on twitter last year saying their coverage would be as good as usual.

Edited by kerplunk

1 hour ago, al_coholic said:

I was on o2 in 2022 and it was dreadful. I have moved to Talkmobile now, which is on the Vodaphone network so expecting it to be good. 

It will be fine - Talkmobile is directly owned by Vodafone, and used as their way of competing with the budget brands. So the actual service is the same but without some of the bells and whistles (none of which matter when it comes to getting signal at Glastonbury).

On 5/31/2024 at 3:00 PM, kerplunk said:

EE responded to a question about in on twitter last year saying their coverage would be as good as usual.

Ah ok, hadn't realised that, thanks for the info. I'll try asking on Twitter for this year. 

On 5/31/2024 at 3:00 PM, kerplunk said:

that sounds like marketing guff rather than the informed opinion of an engineer who does the work.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, A Particular Grey Chihuahu said:

I can't speak for Glasto, but at other festivals the signal seems great early in the morning before everyone emerges from their slumber. Is that the same for Glastonbury?

Last year I had a Lebara SIM (operating on Vodafone network) and the reception was great most of the time. The only times it was spotty was at headliner time at big stages. Having tens of thousands of people influencing at the same place is a bit much for any network it seems 🙂

• Upvote 1

All major telephone providers will have masts on site - Vodaphone ( the main sponsor) EE O2
Last year Vodaphone provided the best coverage - however if you are not on Vodaphone you can get digital sim on your phone tht will connect to Vodaphone - or if your phone is too old to manage that or your are not techy enough to manage - go buy a Lebera simm and put that in your phone - they are either free or very cheap (49p) and they run off the vodaphone network
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, clasher said:

Last year I had a Lebara SIM (operating on Vodafone network) and the reception was great most of the time. The only times it was spotty was at headliner time at big stages. Having tens of thousands of people influencing at the same place is a bit much for any network it seems 🙂

👍🏻

i've always used orange/ee at Glastonbury and always had a great signal at all hours, the council expects phone companies to install temporary masts so that people have a working phone service if they need it for emergencies.

16 hours ago, Neil said:

i've always used orange/ee at Glastonbury and always had a great signal at all hours, the council expects phone companies to install temporary masts so that people have a working phone service if they need it for emergencies.

Same. EE has never let me down.