EE masts on site this year?

donut

On 5/31/2024 at 2:37 PM, a.shep said:

You can get a 5 day Esim from here, just install and set your data to use the Esim instead.

https://maya.net/esim/uk 

Thanks for this! Have you used this guys before? I think I might sign up with them - the only thing is it’s not clear which network you get with them. They advertise as being both EE and Vodafone on the UK sims but I’m on EE already so only keen if this will connect me to Vodafone. 

25 minutes ago, Summertime said:

Thanks for this! Have you used this guys before? I think I might sign up with them - the only thing is it’s not clear which network you get with them. They advertise as being both EE and Vodafone on the UK sims but I’m on EE already so only keen if this will connect me to Vodafone. 

Yeah I used them last year at Glasto and a few times travelling. I was on Three last year and it worked a treat. I’m now on EE myself, I guess it selects the strongest network, so likely to be Vodafone. 

2 hours ago, a.shep said:

Yeah I used them last year at Glasto and a few times travelling. I was on Three last year and it worked a treat. I’m now on EE myself, I guess it selects the strongest network, so likely to be Vodafone. 

Perfect thank you!

Why bother about paying for an eSim?

Vodafone have confirmed that they'll be giving a free 7 day eSims at their store on site to anyone who signs up for one.

5 hours ago, incident said:

Why bother about paying for an eSim?

Vodafone have confirmed that they'll be giving a free 7 day eSims at their store on site to anyone who signs up for one.

The eSIM might be free but you’ll have to pay for a data package? I’ll just get mine sorted before I arrive on the Tuesday. 

5 hours ago, a.shep said:

The eSIM might be free but you’ll have to pay for a data package? I’ll just get mine sorted before I arrive on the Tuesday. 

The wording suggests that an unspecified amount of data will be included.

1 hour ago, incident said:

The wording suggests that an unspecified amount of data will be included.

Do you have a link to that offer? I haven't seen it confirmed for this year.

I used the free festival Voda SIM last year and it worked perfectly. I'd like to do that again if it's available.

1 hour ago, Mike A said:

Do you have a link to that offer? I haven't seen it confirmed for this year.

I used the free festival Voda SIM last year and it worked perfectly. I'd like to do that again if it's available.

It's from the official app -

image.thumb.png.4e8fd5e5b6be872a19424d90a343912d.png

On 6/2/2024 at 8:09 AM, upstream said:

All major telephone providers will have masts on site

Do they?  Have you got a source for this? 

Everytime there has been a preferred supplier - from Orange onwards, I've known folks who had poor coverage on the other networks.  My own only improved last year when VF installed 9 transmitters as they became the festival's preferred partner. 

Edited by clarkete

1 minute ago, clarkete said:

Do they?  Have you got a source for this? 

i don't have a source, but i know they do, and that the council/licence expects it, so joe public have their normal means of communication.

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

i don't have a source, but i know they do, and that the council/licence expects it, so joe public have their normal means of communication.

Vodafone specifically spent a fortune last year, as detailed here.  The only time after about two decades with a phone my Vodafone coverage improved.  Those on other networks did not all report the same. 

https://techhq.com/2023/07/how-did-vodafone-supply-festival-telecommunications-glastonbury-wimbledon/

Edited by clarkete

11 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Vodafone specifically spent a fortune last year, as detailed here.  The only time after about two decades with a phone my Vodafone coverage improved.  Those on other networks did not all report the same. 

https://techhq.com/2023/07/how-did-vodafone-supply-festival-telecommunications-glastonbury-wimbledon/

the first year i ran this website, (i forget the fine details now) we published something about orange having temporary masts and caused a stink cos of the other providers  also having temporary masts (and had to change what we'd published). so spending a fortune doesn't get exclusivity.

4 hours ago, Neil said:

the first year i ran this website, (i forget the fine details now) we published something about orange having temporary masts and caused a stink cos of the other providers  also having temporary masts (and had to change what we'd published). so spending a fortune doesn't get exclusivity.

But it does get vastly improved coverage and connectivity 😉

I've had a Vodafone phone for twenty years, it massively improved.  Anyone who's used VF or their MVNOs says the same, including those we've recommended to get a second sim to take advantage of it. 

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/guides/mvnos-a-guide-to-coverage-and-pros-and-cons-of-virtual-networks/

1 minute ago, clarkete said:

But it does get vastly improved coverage and connectivit

not really. if every network is putting in infrastructure to cope with demand  (which they are) then all networks have decent coverage and connectivity.EE  last year was no less of a service than it was in 2022 in my experience as a heavy user during the fest. so, not being the sponsoring network didn't seem to affect its service.

i could stream radio all night with no drop-outs, and do other internet stuff at the same time, without dropped connections or 'failed to load'.

59 minutes ago, Neil said:

not really. if every network is putting in infrastructure to cope with demand  (which they are) then all networks have decent coverage and connectivity.EE  last year was no less of a service than it was in 2022 in my experience as a heavy user during the fest. so, not being the sponsoring network didn't seem to affect its service.

They aren't.  Presumably EE had been improved in Pilton anyway when they were partners. 

There are half dozen or so folks here saying they had issues on o2 in 2023 (I was with someone who had the same issues on o2, whilst I had strong 5g)

If you or anyone has other links saying other networks are instaling temp transmitters this or last year I'd be interested to see, as the only articles I've seen are about Vodafone. 

Edited by clarkete

57 minutes ago, Neil said:

According to all reports, last year both O2 and Three had extremely poor coverage and connectivity. So if those networks did put in extra capacity, it wasn't anywhere near enough and certainly nothing like the scale that both Vodafone and EE put in.

Yes, those reports are anecdotal. But they're both numerous and consistent so I think can be trusted to be accurate.