The State Of The Ground Report 2024

Sawdusty surfer

Just been on site to set up camp. The ground was solid, albeit on a relatively high point of the farm. Grass was dry. Nice breeze at the moment and warm sun so that should do some good.  ground conditions were flip flop ready.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 17

8 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Just been on site to set up camp. The ground was solid, albeit on a relatively high point of the farm. Grass was dry. Nice breeze at the moment and warm sun so that should do some good.  ground conditions were flip flop ready.

out of votes, but sounds great 🙂

12 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Come on, give us a wave on the Glastocam!😊😉

Posted (edited)

Hi all. 

As you probably know if you're reading this, Ive been doing State Of The Ground Reports on here since 2013. It's been great fun and I like to think that it's kept people informed, usually reassured people and rarely caused panic and meltdown! 

A couple of years ago (I think) the festival asked crew not to post spoilers about the build on social media, a rule that I've been careful to respect. 

This year wording now says that no photos or videos from the farm should be posted on social media pre festival. Oops. 

I decided to phone the office for clarification. I had a good chat with a lovely lady there who put me on hold to see if she could get a quick answer. She came back and asked me to email details. 

The next day the office replied to the email which said that any videos like that did break their social media guidelines, could jeopardise their license and cause unnecessary headlines in the media. I can absolutely see their point. I'd hate to be responsible for that. 

So there we have it. 

I've thoroughly enjoyed doing the reports over the years and have really appreciated the comments and feedback from you lot. The reports have also resulted in me meeting loads of fantastic people on here in person. 

This year, for the first time, my reports were on Tiktok. Daughter #2 carries the blame for that😁 The Tiktok thing blew up rather quickly, I actually found it rather disconcerting!

My kids are now suggesting (actually nagging) that, as the viewers of my Tiktok are Glastonbury goers I should keep the channel going. 

So, it looks like I'm going to be uploading vids of me working and stuff I'm making. I've been to every Glastonbury since '85 and back in the day was a bus dwelling land pirate that the media referred to as a New Age Traveller. I could gas for hours about some of the madness that I witnessed and possibly was occasionally involved in. As most of you know, it really is quite extraordinary how the festival has evolved from back in those early days. 

Should anyone want to have a look, my Tiktok channel is @captainchampignon 

Best wishes to everyone and have a fantastic festival. It's going to be the best one yet! 

Edited by Sawdusty surfer
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 14
  • Upvote 12

9 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Hi all. 

As you probably know if you're reading this, Ive been doing State Of The Ground Reports on here since 2013. It's been great fun and I like to think that it's kept people informed, usually reassured people and rarely caused panic and meltdown! 

A couple of years ago (I think) the festival asked crew not to post spoilers about the build on social media, a rule that I've been careful to respect. 

This year wording now says that no photos or videos from the farm should be posted on social media pre festival. Oops. 

I decided to phone the office for clarification. I had a good chat with a lovely lady there who put me on hold to see if she could get a quick answer. She came back and asked me to email details. 

The next day the office replied to the email which said that any videos like that did break their social media guidelines, could jeopardise their license and cause unnecessary headlines in the media. I can absolutely see their point. I'd hate to be responsible for that. 

So there we have it. 

I've thoroughly enjoyed doing the reports over the years and have really appreciated the comments and feedback from you lot. The reports have also resulted in me meeting loads of fantastic people on here in person. 

This year, for the first time, my reports were on Tiktok. Daughter #2 carries the blame for that😁 The Tiktok thing blew up rather quickly, I actually found it rather disconcerting!

My kids are now suggesting (actually nagging) that, as the viewers of my Tiktok are Glastonbury goers I should keep the channel going. 

So, it looks like I'm going to be uploading vids of me working and stuff I'm making. I've been to every Glastonbury since '85 and back in the day was a bus dwelling land pirate that the media referred to as a New Age Traveller. I could gas for hours about some of the madness that I witnessed and possibly was occasionally involved in. As most of you know, it really is quite extraordinary how the festival has evolved from back in those early days. 

Best wishes to everyone and have a fantastic festival. It's going to be the best one yet! 

Thanks for all the past ground reports. I’m sure the festival will let us know before the festival if there’s any, highly unlikely of course, ground problems. 

1 hour ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Hi all. 

So there we have it. 

I really don’t understand how you putting your heel in the ground with no build in the background could potentially jeopardise their license but hey ho, it’s 2024 I guess.

Thanks for the updates 👍

• Upvote 1

Hi all. 

So there we have it. 

Huge thanks for all that you've done! I shall certainly be sticking around the Tiktok for the creative bits and pieces. I'm fairly sure that one of my favourite pics my partner took of me at Glasto is me posing next to one of your mushroom creations! Looking forward to any and all content. 

Hi all. 

So there we have it. 

Thanks sawdusty … been an absolute staple of efest for many 1000s of users here over the years . A heel dig description would be great if you are able in the future . For any users that don’t know Sawdusty makes the incredible table and thrones in croissant Neuf along with many mushrooms and acoustic chairs a few other things to . Go say hello and have a look at his amazing creations . See you on the farm and hopefully we get some more updates on the woody build stuff 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Hi all. 

So there we have it. 

It’s better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Sounds as though you were flying under the radar anyway. 

But….. I respect what you did and why 🙏🙇‍♂️

Thanks for all the work over the years 💪

No Sawdusty and no Dee/Ramjam/Diver/Stick? I feel lost!!!

Seriously, thanks for all your past, excitement ramping vids. They will be missed, but completely get why you’ve made the decision. ❤️

Just been for a bimble around the site. The roads are very very dusty. Grassy sides of the road are hard and dry. Sun is out and warm. Currreading 26 degrees under the van ( but in the sun).

Hope this elevates some of the blues from missing Sawdusty, whose reports were awesome and he should receive a gold trophy/ medal for services to GF people.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 8

11 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Just been for a bimble around the site. The roads are very very dusty. Grassy sides of the road are hard and dry. Sun is out and warm. Currreading 26 degrees under the van ( but in the sun).

Hope this elevates some of the blues from missing Sawdusty, whose reports were awesome and he should receive a gold trophy/ medal for services to GF people.

this is reassuring to hear! thank you

53 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Well here's something...

Can we please have the 2023 weather 🤣 thanks for the update 👍🏼