Primavera Sound 2025

12 hours ago, bpm87 said:

I really hope Chappell Roan will be there next year, she would be perfect as the big queer pop act that primavera needs :)

This will be my 4th time there, can't wait to know the line up ! 

Im all for diversity, but the prerequisite should be decent artists who happen to be queer rather than "you're queer, you'll do". 

I always find this train of thought a bit weird in the first place too (not you bpm87 by the way) .

Like im a straight white male, but I listen to music by black people, white people , gay people, etc etc.

A gay person can like Metallica as much as a straight fella can like Sam Smith.

This "box tickery" of lineup curation is so low rent. Like the gays will be angry if there isnt a gay band there.

Your sexual orientation or gender identity shouldn't have any bearing on what music you like.

Its as stupid as saying "we need to serve falafel at the festival, LGBTQ people only eat Falafel".

Just pick the best bands on tour this year, and if they happen to be all white, or all male or all straight, so be it. They dilute the quality by imposing arbitrary selection criteria on themselves.

Edited by Drums Please Fab
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Im all for diversity, but the prerequisite should be decent artists who happen to be queer rather than "you're queer, you'll do". 

I always find this train of thought a bit weird in the first place too (not you bpm87 by the way) .

Like im a straight white male, but I listen to music by black people, white people , gay people, etc etc.

This "box tickery" of lineup curation is so low rent. Like the gays will be angry if there isnt a gay band there.

Your sexual orientation or gender identity shouldn't have any bearing on what music you like.

Its as stupid as saying "we need to serve falafel at the festival, LGBTQ people only eat Falafel".

Just pick the best bands on tour this year, and if they happen to be all white, or all male or all straight, so be it. They dilute the quality by imposing arbitrary selection criteria on themselves.

I largely agree with you but I think this festival tends to get the balance right, bringing in LGBTQ favourites who also have a bit of quality about them and put on a good show. More hits than misses from what I've seen at least!

For example I remember stumbling over to see some of Jessie Ware's set a couple of years ago (not knowing what to expect) because some of the group I was in liked her and it was a blast. Really entertaining and the crowd was brilliant.

7 minutes ago, UsernameHere said:

I largely agree with you but I think this festival tends to get the balance right, bringing in LGBTQ favourites who also have a bit of quality about them and put on a good show. More hits than misses from what I've seen at least!

For example I remember stumbling over to see some of Jessie Ware's set a couple of years ago (not knowing what to expect) because some of the group I was in liked her and it was a blast. Really entertaining and the crowd was brilliant.

isnt she straight? Married to a bloke.

37 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

isnt she straight? Married to a bloke.

LGBTQ Favourites I said, not LGBTQ people. The crowd was mostly girls and gays. I mean these kind of acts that are considered "gay icons". Kylie Minogue and Madonna are also straight.

11 hours ago, Drums Please Fab said:

I concur with all of the above, but Primavera remains a commercial festival that has incorporated queer friendliness and diversity as part of their brand. So they therefore cater to a certain demographic within the LGBTQ+ spectrum who are more likely to buy tickets when acts like Troye Sivan, Lana, Arca, Charli, Omar Apollo, Roisin Murphy, etc are booked.

20 hours ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Oh you're right, I could have just said "big pop act" 🙂 I wasn't even saying that because she is herself queer !

I was just thinking that she is so popular among the lgbtq+ community, which is largely represented at Primavera, that the atmosphere at her set would be incredible like it has been these last few years for other gay icons 😀

And I personnally think she's one of the most interesting pop star right now 😋

Anyway, can't wait for more info on the full line up and to see you all next year ! 

Edited by bpm87

12 hours ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

I concur with all of the above, but Primavera remains a commercial festival that has incorporated queer friendliness and diversity as part of their brand. So they therefore cater to a certain demographic within the LGBTQ+ spectrum who are more likely to buy tickets when acts like Troye Sivan, Lana, Arca, Charli, Omar Apollo, Roisin Murphy, etc are booked.

I thought the mob had "cancelled" Roisin Murphy. I cant keep up!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the discussion here. When you say Primavera should bring just the best acts available, regardless of whether they are queer-oriented or not, do you mean that Chappell Roan is not one of the best pop acts of the moment and loved by almost everyone (gay or not) and that they'd only bring her because of her queer attraction factor?

Don't you think that it would have the same sense than if I say that they shouldn't try to bring Oasis, because they are sooo straight-oriented and the festival should stick to bringing the best available, regardless of whether they bring straight people or not.

Don't you see that we never question if they book that kind of blokes' bands but we're always worried if they bring women (hey! just half the population) or lgtbiq+ acts that maybe 'the festival is booking "not so good artists" just to meet certain quotas? :S

• Thanks 5
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LMDS said:

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the discussion here. When you say Primavera should bring just the best acts available, regardless of whether they are queer-oriented or not, do you mean that Chappell Roan is not one of the best pop acts of the moment and loved by almost everyone (gay or not) and that they'd only bring her because of her queer attraction factor?

Don't you think that it would have the same sense than if I say that they shouldn't try to bring Oasis, because they are sooo straight-oriented and the festival should stick to bringing the best available, regardless of whether they bring straight people or not.

Don't you see that we never question if they book that kind of blokes' bands but we're always worried if they bring women (hey! just half the population) or lgtbiq+ acts that maybe 'the festival is booking "not so good artists" just to meet certain quotas? :S

You’re right. You’re not understanding it.

3 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

You’re right. You’re not understanding it.

I was writting:
"Sorry if that wasn't the idea, and don't take it personally if you don't think like that, but I I wanted we all to think a little bit about the subject"

But then I read that you called the LGTBIQ+ spectrum "The Mob", aham.
Nothing to do here.

32 minutes ago, LMDS said:

"Loved by almost everyone" is a massive stretch, and it's not like Primavera will book just any act that is popular or has a lot of streams. But given the aforementioned branding that they have taken within the European festival marketplace, it makes sense that Roan is a more likely booking than something like Oasis. You don't see them market themselves as a lad-friendly fest in the same manner.

Edited by SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot

28 minutes ago, LMDS said:

I was writting:
"Sorry if that wasn't the idea, and don't take it personally if you don't think like that, but I I wanted we all to think a little bit about the subject"

But then I read that you called the LGTBIQ+ spectrum "The Mob", aham.
Nothing to do here.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as you are Spanish based and maybe English isnt your first language.

But I think you need to read the posts again. 

You're jumping in front of snowballs that arent being thrown.

4 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

That clearly wasn't referring to the entire spectrum, come on.

That was literally his answer to: "the LGBTQ+ spectrum who are more likely to buy tickets when acts like [...] Roisin Murphy, etc are booked."
Maybe you thinks he's referring to the Sopranos et al. But for me it's pretty clear.

• Downvote 1

Just now, LMDS said:

That was literally his answer to: "the LGBTQ+ spectrum who are more likely to buy tickets when acts like [...] Roisin Murphy, etc are booked."
Maybe you thinks he's referring to the Sopranos et al. But for me it's pretty clear.

I'll let the other guy speak for himself, but my interpretation of "the Mob" was clearly everybody on social media who wanted to cancel Murphy for her comments. And that wasn't just LGBTQ+ people.

42 minutes ago, LMDS said:

Do you think gay people dont like Oasis?

That sounds pretty reductive and presumptuous on your part.

Whats a "blokes" band?

1 minute ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

I'll let the other guy speak for himself, but my interpretation of "the Mob" was clearly everybody on social media who wanted to cancel Murphy for her comments. And that wasn't just LGBTQ+ people.

And who is telling us that Roisin Murphy isn't still cancelled for  those folks in social media? As far as i know, we've only read about lgtbq+ people would go, or actually went to the fest where RM was performing.

Anyway, even if we read ir as "part of the collective is a mob", we go back to my first message: it's funny that I've never ever read in this forum that part of the straight population are a "mob", like the "straight mob" and so on.. to me, the other 'mob' has the same sense, even less (because they often are actually the victims, not the straight ones). I use to read in this and other forums messages regarding to female and queer artists (and audieces too) that I've never read directed to straight white males. 🥴

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, LMDS said:

And who is telling us that Roisin Murphy isn't still cancelled for  those folks in social media? As far as i know, we've only read about lgtbq+ people would go, or actually went to the fest where RM was performing.

Anyway, even if we read ir as "part of the collective is a mob", we go back to my first message: it's funny that I've never ever read in this forum that part of the straight population are a "mob", like the "straight mob" and so on.. to me, the other 'mob' has the same sense, even less (because they often are actually the victims, not the straight ones). I use to read in this and other forums messages regarding to female and queer artists (and audieces too) that I've never read directed to straight white males. 🥴

Bunch of boorish lads could be called a mob. But really, this is just arguing semantics. Who cares.

And PS is now widely accepted by its punters as a festival with lots of diversity and a gender balanced lineup, going back to "nobody questions things when straight blokes are booked" is a regressive conversation. 

• Like 1

Do you think gay people dont like Oasis?

That sounds pretty reductive and presumptuous on your part.

Whats a "blokes" band?

You're the one not understanding.

What's a blokes band? I dunno, a band formed by blokes only? Isn't Oasis formed by blokes only?
Did I say they don't attract queer audience or that gay people doesn't enjoy Oasis??? Absolutely not.

I threw an example where I showed that absolutely nobody is ever worried if the festival is bringing a band for being male or for how many blokes do they attract to the fest, and that is never a thing for questioning the talent of a band. But when they bring women, or queer artists, or artist with a queer fanbase I always read "I'm ok with diversity BUT shouldn't they try to bring the best bands available" as if they weren't, and they were there just for being female or queer.
I'd like to remember you that before gender/diversity inclusivity we NEVER used to read comments like "I'm not against all those blokes with guitars, but shouldn't they bring just the best available artists?". And that's an important thing to have in mind before writting those comments.

Edited by LMDS
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I've said it before & I'll say it again, but thank f**k (some) of the people on this forum aren't booking Primavera - some of the blinkered garbage written on these walls, you'd think we were still stuck in 1995 - bring on anything & everything in 2025, same as it ever was 🙂

Edited by livenstu
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, LMDS said:

What's a blokes band? I dunno, a band formed by blokes only? Isn't Oasis formed by blokes only?
Did I say they don't attract queer audience or that gay people doesn't enjoy Oasis??? Absolutely not.

I threw an example where I showed that absolutely nobody is ever worried if the festival is bringing a band for being male or for how many blokes do they attract to the fest, and that is never a thing for questioning the talent of a band. But when they bring women, or queer artists, or artist with a queer fanbase I always read "I'm ok with diversity BUT shouldn't they try to bring the best bands available" as if they weren't, and they were there just for being female or queer.
I'd like to remember you that before gender/diversity inclusivity we NEVER used to read comments like "I'm not against all those blokes with guitars, but shouldn't they bring just the best available artists?". And that's an important thing to have in mind before writting those comments.

100% this, thank you

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, LMDS said:

Ah thanks for explaining. I’m “remembered” as you’d say.

My favourite bloke bands are The Pet Shop Boys, Culture Club and Erasure.

55 minutes ago, livenstu said:

I've said it before & I'll say it again, but thank f**k (some) of the people on this forum aren't booking Primavera - some of the blinkered garbage written on these walls, you'd think we were still stuck in 1995 - bring on anything & everything in 2025, same as it ever was 🙂

100% agree. The reading comprehension on here at times beggars belief. Imagine them trying to book bands.

Bring on 2025. Plenty of good acts out there for Gabi to give a bell. 

4 hours ago, LMDS said:

Be careful what you wish for.

https://x.com/noelgallagher/status/1827830461311467698?s=48&t=nep70j6ttSqr6UQnqOUSE

Gonna be f**king biblical.