Join our friendly community of music lovers and be part of the fun 😎

Primavera Sound 2025

3 minutes ago, Andrej said:

Pretty good for my personal taste, but very weak overall in terms of sales and mainstream appeal

Think Sabrina and Chappell are massive at the moment, but somehow thought Primavera will pull harder.

Can see names getting added even this year, as we are only in October and they have extra month of sales and plus all the other festivals and completion haven’t released anything. Also could be that Ciutat will have huge names. Let’s see. Overall it’s a great lineup but it does feel empty. Names like Tyler, The Cure, Iggy Pop would balance this out a lot, cause let’s be honest no matter how good the undercard is, the first thing your eyes catch are the headliners and sub headliners and here they are few and out of place. Plus Charli is a bit repeated, if she hasn’t been there in 2024 would be a different story. 

33 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

I sure hope not. It will make it super crowded for lcd or twigs if their on the same day with one of them.

Ideally we'll have lcd and twigs on the same day without them, but even getting a day of one of lcd/twigs as headliner of the day sounds better

If I ran Primavera that would be my objective.

Fill it up

9 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

Can see names getting added even this year, as we are only in October and they have extra month of sales and plus all the other festivals and completion haven’t released anything. Also could be that Ciutat will have huge names. Let’s see. Overall it’s a great lineup but it does feel empty. Names like Tyler, The Cure, Iggy Pop would balance this out a lot, cause let’s be honest no matter how good the undercard is, the first thing your eyes catch are the headliners and sub headliners and here they are few and out of place. Plus Charli is a bit repeated, if she hasn’t been there in 2024 would be a different story. 

You said this last year and there weren't any

Edited by Quadrophobia

29 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Don't disagree on tyler and Iggy, but apart from that, expectations here were once again completely unrealistic and clinging to bits of information that were greatly exaggerated.

However I'm really surprised they brought in Sabrina Carpenter, a very bad fit as I said before. On the other hand, I thought she would mainly not work because she didn't appeal to indie audiences at all (other than Charli or Lana), when this Line up treats Indie audiences as a the bycatch to pop audiences with only one of five top names in the "indie" realm.

My biggest problem isn't with the headline though, but with the mid size acts. The Techno department feels repetetive, Rap is abscent, and basically everything in the third biggest fontsize I have seen before, not only in general, but at Primavera itself. There is very little exceptional, seldomnly touring acts on here (TV on the Radio, CapN Jazz, Jesus Lizard) and even thos that have been rather long ago at PS (Sterolab, Spiritualized) cannot push this over the edge for me

Yeah trust me I agree and if this wasn't part of an annual holiday, I don't think I'd be going

I love PS because of how diverse it is and the undercard is always strong. Some years have weird sh*t, like Calvin Harris and Maneskin are particlarly bad - but that year also had PSB, Depeche Mode, Kendrick, New Order, Pusha T, Blur... you know. Hate to say it but LCD and Twigs just don't have enough pull to balance out Sabrina and Chappell (I give Charli a pass). Sabrina is absolutely a bad fit and we'll probably look back and wonder wtf that was all about. And yea there's some stuff in the undercard I like but I'm already going to see ConMan and Chat Pile in the next few months, the rest is just not quite enough

Now I wish @Drums Please Fabto come back and give us his opinion 😉

1 hour ago, ConfidenceMan said:

Anyone recommend a good place to start with Denzel Curry? I always see his name mentioned but he somehow just passed me by entirely. Quite a few albums on Spotify. 

Melt My Eyez is his best album imo - quite introspective and honest lyrically with some heavy subject matter but still quite an easy listen. I'd start there, but I like his entire discography. Very consistent.

Unlocked is a very short cartoonish album (collab with Kenny Beats) which was inspired by Madvilliany. His 2nd best after Melt My Eyez for me.

TA3OO is sort of soundcloud rap with a thematic approach. Very melodic.

ZUU is simple hard hitting rap bangers - great for the gym. 

Imperial is labeled as a mixtape but it's a proper album and quite good as well. You will likely have heard ULT which was his breakout single.

King of the Mischevious South is his most recent. Southern trapy hip hop sound. More on the bangers side than conceptual. He tends to do 1 conscious, thematic album followed by a more simplistic, fun album. You can see that pattern throughout his discography. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

I bet PS had a hard time booking artists they didn't already have a pre-existing relationship with. How else to explain the large number of repeats from prior years.

Not saying the opposite, but festival fans tend to be very conservative line up wise. We/they always demand the same bands. You book all this bands to please such core cohort and wait they release music up to their status. 

12 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

I bet PS had a hard time booking artists they didn't already have a pre-existing relationship with. How else to explain the large number of repeats from prior years.

I mean, you can really see how Charli and Twigs have been built up at PS to one day headline. And there is little doubt it was successfull.

Idles, Fontaines, Wet Leg and Turnstile just feel like lazy repeats though

6 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

I mean, you can really see how Charli and Twigs have been built up at PS to one day headline. And there is little doubt it was successfull.

Idles, Fontaines, Wet Leg and Turnstile just feel like lazy repeats though

Charli having played last year during the same album era makes it feel like a lazy repeat as well.

12 minutes ago, MagneticField85 said:

Not saying the opposite, but festival fans tend to be very conservative line up wise. We/they always demand the same bands. You book all this bands to please such core cohort and wait they release music up to their status. 

That's fair, but it feels like a lot of the repeats were there in the past few years or so, rather than something from way back in the day (with the exception of like Jesus Lizard and Kim Deal).

5 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Charli having played last year during the same album era makes it feel like a lazy repeat as well.

Yeah but I see where they are coming from. The majority of people outside of realms like this board, didn't know her last year or only knew her in passing. That has changed, in 2025 she'll be huge. You could say 2024 was a promogig and 2025 is the real deal. I feel like you though.

Anotr is another repeat (from 2024 even) and I don't see why you'd repeat them. In my relatively uninformed opinion they are a rather "basic" act

16 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Charli's crowd this year was massive and she was in headliner font size, so that's why it mainly feels lazy to me.

ANOTR will likely play Brunch on the Beach, so no real issue there.

I'd say they play the main fest, since they did BotB this year

Edited by Quadrophobia

52 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

i guess around February/March when most of the lineups from other festivals are going to be out, we will see what the general picture looks like and then it will be easier to judge this festival. Primavera has always a hard time because it's one of the few festivals releasing this early and fully. Last year the same happened, people did not like the lineup in the beginning (including me), but after seeing the general picture and that there was almost no competition in quality and quantity of good artists from other festivals I started to appreciate PS lineup more. I think it will happen this time again. The only weird thing are the headliners, last year they were distributed in a better way and and there was a balance, this year we have an artist that got famous recently, a very big pop star that does not seem to fit much in PS formula (either old one or the new one) and another one that already was one of the highlights of last year. Lets see how it develops.

Posible warehouse program if some is interested:

- African experimental / electronic music night

(Ekua Morris Sirikiti , Cinca Peyghamy, Shabjdeed & Al Nather, Aunty Razor & DJ Toby, Toumba live, Jehia)

- Primavera sound team curated night 

(Heinali & Yasia, Florence Sinclair, Crystallmess live, Sideproject, Simo Cell live, Sherelle)

- Hiver discs curated night 

(Música esporádica, Dame Área, DJ Masda, Mad Miran b2b John Talabot, Kia, Djrum)

Edited by diancieprince
  • Upvote 1

On 10/23/2024 at 1:45 PM, Daniel Ferreira said:

My predictions are as follows :

Deftones 
Fontaines DC
Turnstile
Parcels
Antony and the Johnsons

😉😉😉😉😉

The information I had was for Primavera Sound Porto.

Deftones was almost certain not to be in Barcelona because they were there this year. The other 4 bands are on the Barcelona line-up.

To sum up, these 5 bands will be at Primavera Sound Porto.

After Ken said that London Grammar would be at Rock Werchter, I was counting on them at Primavera Sound, which was my disappointment today.

Is it overly generous to say that, given how much pretty much the cost of everything (artists' fees, logistics, etc) has rocketed since Covid-times and yet the ticket prices are more or less still the same - Primavera booking the likes of Sabrina and Chappell Roan (and to an extent Lana last year) ensures that their ticket sales, particuarly day tickets from a new demographic, cover the cost of what is still the one of the strongest undercard line-ups on the globe year after year? 

I've no insider knowledge whatsoever, but if it did end up being the case that hosting 2 or 3 hours of nothing-y pop music serves to safeguard countless hours of other acts over the rest of the weekend.... I'd take that deal all day long.