Primavera Sound 2025

43 minutes ago, UsernameHere said:

I gave her a listen Yesterday as well out of curiosity and it's not for me. Pop isn't my thing anyway but I also listened to the most recent Charli XCX and Billie Eilish albums and found those to be a lot more interesting and engaging for my taste.

The cult of anointing mediocrity as class based on sexual orientation or gender over actual talent writ large.

Another poster had the temerity to say “Chappell Roan is loved by almost everyone” . 

Have you ever heard such deluded shite in your life.

1 hour ago, Drums Please Fab said:

The cult of anointing mediocrity as class based on sexual orientation or gender over actual talent writ large.

Another poster had the temerity to say “Chappell Roan is loved by almost everyone” . 

OK we get it, you are a straight male that likes guitars and drums. You don't seem to like pop music very much. Fine. We get it. You don't have to keep telling us. We don't all have to think the same thing. I would be delighted if we got Chappell Roan, I think it would be fun. I would be pissed off if we got Arcade Fire. Just one of those things. Plenty of room for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Drums Please Fab said:

I don't know as far as to suggest people are lying about their enjoyment because of gender or anything else.

A lot of people love Dua Lipa, Sabrina Carpenter etc. as well. There's definitely a huge market for this brand of pop and that's fine with me. All I can say with 100% certainty is it doesn't excite me personally. Different strokes!

Either way if they book Chappell Roan I won't mind at all as long as they continue the trend of also bringing great alt rock, post punk, hip hop, electronic music etc. I'll happily go to Cupra, Amazon or one of the other 7 or 8 stages with a diverse range of music. It's kind of the beauty of a music festival imo.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Valbork said:

OK we get it, you are a straight male that likes guitars and drums. You don't seem to like pop music very much. Fine. We get it. You don't have to keep telling us. We don't all have to think the same thing. I would be delighted if we got Chappell Roan, I think it would be fun. I would be pissed off if we got Arcade Fire. Just one of those things. Plenty of room for everyone.

Finally someone said it.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Primavera is a festival which books across the genres anyway.

you get lorde headlining, you get the strokes.

if they book Chappell Roan, they’ll book another big name from another genre. It’s not like one is cancelling out the other .

I think the point is being deliberately missed by some (not you).

Lorde is talented. Thats the (my) point.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Valbork said:

Love pop music. Love house. Love rap. Love rock. Love most music really.

Hence my membership of a music forum.

Off to Kalorama Madrid this Thursday. Not much guitars there this year.

53 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

so, in other news... The Smile has some new music out tomorrow, with some rumors on new album in 25 (yeah, they work fast...)

We missed them this year, maybe next year we'll get them?

https://x.com/thesmiletheband/status/1828387217317732779

The new album is out this year, late October/early November. CutOuts it's called. Most of the track list has been deciphered.

I honestly don't think they'll tour it. I think this is the parting record for the smile for now. Thom is touring solo soon, I dont know why he wouldnt have just done The Smile instead. Plus some of the songs they played this year are on the new album tracklist.

3 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

The new album is out this year, late October/early November. CutOuts it's called. Most of the track list has been deciphered.

I honestly don't think they'll tour it. I think this is the parting record for the smile for now. Thom is touring solo soon, I dont know why he wouldnt have just done The Smile instead. Plus some of the songs they played this year are on the new album tracklist.

Whats the story with Radiohead? A few years away from a return?

5 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Whats the story with Radiohead? A few years away from a return?

No idea. I remain an optimist and like I say I think that The Smile are done (for now) after this record. Thom tours Japan/Australia this year and plays Radiohead songs (confirmed he's doing songs from his entire career) maybe writes a few new ones with the vision of them being Radiohead ones. 

Delusional thinking: they do some dates in 2025.

More likely scenario: 2026 onwards.

3 hours ago, UsernameHere said:

I don't know as far as to suggest people are lying about their enjoyment because of gender or anything else.

A lot of people love Dua Lipa, Sabrina Carpenter etc. as well. There's definitely a huge market for this brand of pop and that's fine with me. All I can say with 100% certainty is it doesn't excite me personally. Different strokes!

Either way if they book Chappell Roan I won't mind at all as long as they continue the trend of also bringing great alt rock, post punk, hip hop, electronic music etc. I'll happily go to Cupra, Amazon or one of the other 7 or 8 stages with a diverse range of music. It's kind of the beauty of a music festival imo.

Yeah this is the thing. Primavera is what you make it. I've had days entirely at Mordor and other times entirely at Bits (RIP) without seeing any headliners. There was so much chatter about Lana and the crazy barrier fans but on the day? I missed it all and stayed at Amazon for Clipse then to Cupra for Jai Paul and Barry. You just don't get the same range of bands and artists at other festivals.

Someone like Chappell Roan is very popular at the moment and the point is to sell tickets. I get she's not to everyone's taste but they have made it clear this is how the festival is going to be, we will see more pop acts. But once you're at Fòrum you kinda forget about all of this.

However I draw the line at Maneskin again. That was bad.

Primavera is a festival where I can have as much fun watching Carly Rae Jepsen or Dua Lipa, as I would watching something like The Caretaker or Karate.

If this means we get Chappell Roan next year, great!  Hopefully this means we'll get something on the opposite end of the spectrum too like Knocked Loose.

Edited by livenstu

3 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

This means second album in 2024, while Johnny also performs with Dudu Tassa (and was hospitalized), The Smile does a small tour, at least what was not cancelled, and Thom scores a movie and prepares for a tour...

Talk about workaholics...

3 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

This means second album in 2024, while Johnny also performs with Dudu Tassa (and was hospitalized), The Smile does a small tour, at least what was not cancelled, and Thom scores a movie and prepares for a tour...

Talk about workaholics...

Absolutely.

It's the Thom solo dates that make me think The Smile are finished though. Especially given this album was meant to come out even after the planned dates. I suppose they could do dates in 2025 but im expecting a bit of a break and then Radiohead. We'll have to see what Ed's doing though, he has been cooking up that second album for a long time now.

Went to Green Man again two weeks ago. Superb weekend. Noteable highlights included Mermaid Chunk (both live and Dj set) - not surprised James Murphy liked them so much, Porridge Radio, Ezra Collective, Blonde Redhead and Devandra Barnhart. On the electronic stuff, Jon Hopkins and Max Cooper (jaw droppingly beautiful visuals). And also special credit to Joy Orbison who dropped his remix of Fontaines DC's Starbuster towards the end of his - way too short - set and brought the house down. This only reminded me just how weak this year's PS edition was on high quality end of night house/techno dj sets like they used to do so well in many previous editions I attended (I've been to ten to date).

So from the big names touring next year, who can we get to fill the slots of Lana, SZA and Pulp?

-Billie Eilish (already has a date in Barcelona some weeks before so very unlikely)

-Chappell Roan (doesn't have dates in Spain and Portugal in her Euro Tour so very likely)

-Sabrina Carpenter (Doesn't have dates in Spain and Portugal in her Euro Tour next year, but seems a bit too commercial for the festival)

-Chilidish Gambino (No Spanish dates in his tour and fits in the R&B/Urban/HipHop slot so I would say quite likely).

-Nick Cave (Pretty sure he's gonna be there)

-Oasis (clearly not doing any fests and even if they did I think they would go to Mad Cool)

-LCD Soundsystem (very likely if they are still touring)

-FKA Twigs (Pretty sure she's going to finally come if she decides to do concerts, but maybe too early to be a headliner)

-A$AP Rocky (new album and a rumored tour, so I could see him back after so many years)

-Massive Attack (hopefully they are back if they are still touring)

-Dua Lipa (she's touring and probably will be doing festivals but I think that her time at Primavera is in the past)

-Karol G or Bad Bunny (both are rumored to continue touring but maybe too big for Prima?)

-Rihanna (Clearly too big)

-Fontaines DC (Read somewhere that they are big enough now, but I think that maximum now they could occupy the second line of the bill and still that would be too much for them)

-Travis Scott ???

For now, for me the headliners and second line names at Prima 2025 will be (in no particular order):

-Nick Cave, Fontaines DC and LCD Soundsytem as main alternative names

-Chapelle Roan and maybe Twigs on the second line for the pop and female music

-Childish Gambino and Rocky as co headliners for the hip hop and urban style

Of course if those were to be the headliners, it still would be a bit underwhelming in terms of big names after having the likes of Lana and the success in ticket sales that she had, but I think if the lineup is quite balanced with the smaller names, than the bigger names I mentioned are enough. But let's see, after having Maneskin, Calvin Harris, Dua Lipa, Lana del Rey, the likes of Sabrina Carpenter and so on would not be surprise. And specially now that Primavera is the biggest festival in Spain (at least in 2024 it was bigger than Mad Cool).

Edited by festivalguy97
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

So from the big names touring next year, who can we get to fill the slots of Lana, SZA and Pulp?

-Billie Eilish (already has a date in Barcelona some weeks before so very unlikely)

-Chappell Roan (doesn't have dates in Spain and Portugal in her Euro Tour so very likely)

-Sabrina Carpenter (Doesn't have dates in Spain and Portugal in her Euro Tour next year, but seems a bit too commercial for the festival)

-Chilidish Gambino (No Spanish dates in his tour and fits in the R&B/Urban/HipHop slot so I would say quite likely).

-Nick Cave (Pretty sure he's gonna be there)

-Oasis (clearly not doing any fests and even if they did I think they would go to Mad Cool)

-LCD Soundsystem (very likely if they are still touring)

-FKA Twigs (Pretty sure she's going to finally come if she decides to do concerts, but maybe too early to be a headliner)

-A$AP Rocky (new album and a rumored tour, so I could see him back after so many years)

-Massive Attack (hopefully they are back if they are still touring)

-Dua Lipa (she's touring and probably will be doing festivals but I think that her time at Primavera is in the past)

-Karol G or Bad Bunny (both are rumored to continue touring but maybe too big for Prima?)

-Rihanna (Clearly too big)

-Fontaines DC (Read somewhere that they are big enough now, but I think that maximum now they could occupy the second line of the bill and still that would be too much for them)

-Travis Scott ???

For now, for me the headliners and second line names at Prima 2025 will be (in no particular order):

-Nick Cave, Fontaines DC and LCD Soundsytem as main alternative names

-Chapelle Roan and maybe Twigs on the second line for the pop and female music

-Childish Gambino and Rocky as co headliners for the hip hop and urban style

Of course if those were to be the headliners, it still would be a bit underwhelming in terms of big names after having the likes of Lana and the success in ticket sales that she had, but I think if the lineup is quite balanced with the smaller names, than the bigger names I mentioned are enough. But let's see, after having Maneskin, Calvin Harris, Dua Lipa, Lana del Rey, the likes of Sabrina Carpenter and so on would not be surprise. And specially now that Primavera is the biggest festival in Spain (at least in 2024 it was bigger than Mad Cool).

I think this is a very good summary and agree with a lot of the suggested names. However I'd throw a couple more names in and move some others around.

Twigs will be top line in my opinion following on from her position on the 2024 poster.

Nine Inch Nails are rumoured to be active next year, doing a date in London at the O2 at the least, with them apparently doing red rocks again in America, I can see them being booked by primavera if the dates work.

Phoebe Bridgers might be active? No rumours but I reckon she could go straight to top line with her rising size. Similar to Mitski getting a top line spot.

The XX? I feel like they are due a return?

After going to the Massive Attack climate change gig i went to i do wonder if the reason they didn't return is due to their distaste with sponsors primavera chooses, there was an interview booklet given out at the event that said they're going to be more conscious on festival / venue slots and where they are getting money. I don't think they liked a festival sponsored by Amazon/Cupra, yes they were booked in 2022 but this seems like a more recent shift.

For top line names at the minute I'm feeling something like this

Day 1: LCD Soundsystem/Phoebe Bridgers/Fontaines DC

Day 2: Nine Inch Nails/The XX/FKA Twigs

Day 3: Childish Gambino/Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds/Chappell Roan

I'm not massively confident on Nick and Chappell, I think they could be switched out for a hiphop/electronic name.

• Upvote 3

Fontaines are tricky to predict. 
pro: one of the strongest albums in recent years; already played the festival; they can easily play to 30k people; they are amazing live and primavera likes quality above hype; they will be around. 
cons:  everyone who wanted to see them will have done it by then; stage placement: they would be like 3rd name headliners or side-stage headliners right? maybe they just let them go not grabbing them this year? 
I am not sure

LCD were not here because they did not have a new album. If they don't plan to release anything primavera will book fresher acts (see vampire weekend with a new album); same goes for massive attack I would say

Edited by Whos3000_

1 hour ago, scatteredscreens said:

I think this is a very good summary and agree with a lot of the suggested names. However I'd throw a couple more names in and move some others around.

Twigs will be top line in my opinion following on from her position on the 2024 poster.

Nine Inch Nails are rumoured to be active next year, doing a date in London at the O2 at the least, with them apparently doing red rocks again in America, I can see them being booked by primavera if the dates work.

Phoebe Bridgers might be active? No rumours but I reckon she could go straight to top line with her rising size. Similar to Mitski getting a top line spot.

The XX? I feel like they are due a return?

After going to the Massive Attack climate change gig i went to i do wonder if the reason they didn't return is due to their distaste with sponsors primavera chooses, there was an interview booklet given out at the event that said they're going to be more conscious on festival / venue slots and where they are getting money. I don't think they liked a festival sponsored by Amazon/Cupra, yes they were booked in 2022 but this seems like a more recent shift.

For top line names at the minute I'm feeling something like this

Day 1: LCD Soundsystem/Phoebe Bridgers/Fontaines DC

Day 2: Nine Inch Nails/The XX/FKA Twigs

Day 3: Childish Gambino/Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds/Chappell Roan

I'm not massively confident on Nick and Chappell, I think they could be switched out for a hiphop/electronic name.

The XX would be unreal.

Seen them in the Tivoli in Dublin in 2018 before it closed. Only a few hundred people.

Think they did it as a favour for someone.