(Relative) Biggest/ Smallest Crowd Size Predictions

kemosabe

I think the obvious one is SZA. It might start out middling but if she fails to capture those who are there out of curiosity or to end the festival with a bang, people are going to drop off in their droves.

I don't think Paul Heaton is anywhere near as well known as Texas or Crowded House or others who have been in that slot as well.

I also don't think Shania Twain has as much pull as previous Legends. A lot of picnics are going to be had at that one. Tbh, I feel like the Pyramid on the Sunday is going to be a bit of a ghost town the entire day, lol.

2 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

Literally just turn up for Janelle - you won’t struggle to get a good spot.

Can be hard to get into somewhere where there is a big exodus though although I actually think Shania will (for a legend slot)  have a much smaller crowd than normal. There's really strong programming up against her and there seems to be a fair few people who really don't want to see her.

Think people are massively underestimating Shania’s pull to a general non-nerdy/efests/discord crowd. Couple of huge tune singalongs and a whole lot of cheese? People are gonna be all over it, and Nothing But Thieves/Steel Pulse/Blondeshell etc aren’t gonna draw away a ton of people. 

But also, she finishes 45 minutes before Janelle so the crowds churn away from the Pyramid will be gone by then and you can just rock up for a spot like fifteen minutes before and be fine. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I don't think Paul Heaton is anywhere near as well known as Texas or Crowded House or others who have been in that slot as well.

Maybe his personal "brand" isn't as well known as those names.

But in terms of the actual music being played, I'd say he beats both comfortably for recognition especially once you get past the 2 or 3 biggest songs. The Housemartins were all over mainstream radio in the 80s, and the Beautiful South likewise in the 90s - with both still getting airplay today.

And I say that as someone who cannot be anywhere near the field that day, due to the very real risk that he plays Perfect 10.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FloopFiller said:

Think people are massively underestimating Shania’s pull to a general non-nerdy/efests/discord crowd. Couple of huge tune singalongs and a whole lot of cheese? People are gonna be all over it, and Nothing But Thieves/Steel Pulse/Blondeshell etc aren’t gonna draw away a ton of people. 

But also, she finishes 45 minutes before Janelle so the crowds churn away from the Pyramid will be gone by then and you can just rock up for a spot like fifteen minutes before and be fine. 

I've got friends who want to see Shania as hers was their first dance song at their wedding.  I expect there will be a few other smoochers in the crowd for that reason too.

Funnily enough hers was the first dance song at my first wedding too, hence I will be staying as far away as possible! 

19 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Yep, this scheduling is absolutely baffling. There are strange bookings across the site this year tbf.

Especially as the 'heavier' end of the musical spectrum is already pretty thinly represented at Glastonbury. Clashes like this split the crowd and give the false impression not many people want to see it on the farm, which I don't think is true.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jarski75 said:

I've got friends who want to see Shania as hers was their first dance song at their wedding.  I expect there will be a few other smoochers in the crowd for that reason too.

Funnily enough hers was the first dance song at my first wedding too, hence I will be staying as far away as possible! 

Sk8tr Boi is a strange choice for a first dance?

9 minutes ago, incident said:

Maybe his personal "brand" isn't as well known as those names.

But in terms of the actual music being played, I'd say he beats both comfortably for recognition especially once you get past the 2 or 3 biggest songs. The Housemartins were all over mainstream radio in the 80s, and the Beautiful South likewise in the 90s - with both still getting airplay today.

And I say that as someone who cannot be anywhere near the field that day, due to the very real risk that he plays Perfect 10.

Perhaps I misjudged his appeal, had to check out the Housemartins but I recognise a couple of those. There will prob be a fair crowd there given his different work. 

Given I know mostly the Beautiful South stuff though, I would also be somewhere (anywhere) else at that time.

34 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Yep, this scheduling is absolutely baffling. There are strange bookings across the site this year tbf.

each area is in charge of its own bookings often artists may be contacted by 2 area and the artist will choose which one they apppear on

2 hours ago, kemosabe said:

I reckon Bicep takes literally everyone that is casually there to see someone late at night while getting on it 

Yeah but it’s Bicep “Chroma” which appears to be quite a step away from what they’re most recently know for (and I’ve heard some mixed reports from the Dublin gig over the weekend)

That said, whether or not the average punter realises that is another story…

Personally, it’s probably the worst clash I’ve had at Glasto 

17 hours ago, philipsteak said:

See I thought that about the age thing but when I saw him on the Other in 2016 everyone around me was really young. And singing along to every word, from Housemartins right up to his new stuff. I thought everyone would be my age or older.

Don't think it'll be crazy busy at all but I think it'll be fine.

I saw him at TRNSMT of all places last year where he was on before Niall Horan. I expected a dumbfounded reaction apart from us few oldies who were there for Pulp but I was wrong, the crowd were really into it, at least for the hits. 

2 hours ago, JayDiesel said:

It's been fairly seldom referenced, but Gossip on Woodsies is going to be a ghost town. I can't comprehend how they're headlining that stage with such a small status. I don't mind a few of their tracks, but they hold neither 'popular' relevance (as in, they aren't a big band right now), nor the 'artistic' relevance (as in, have acclaimed works and a cult fanbase - think Fever Ray last year). 

I think it's heavily leaning on Beth's massive political persona on stage but it feels a bit awkward that this huge, grand, brash political performance is going to be seen by about 100 people (slight exaggeration)

That’s the weirdest booking on the whole bill for me

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, crumbler said:

Really don't think SZA's crowd with be drastically smaller than Kendrick's was.

I agree. Kendrick wasn’t a huge draw but he had very tough competition in the Pet Shop Boys doing a greatest hits in the perfect slot for such a show, plus Charli XCX and Bicep. I don’t think-as much as I love The National-this years Sunday headliners are as strong.

6 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

Yeah but it’s Bicep “Chroma” which appears to be quite a step away from what they’re most recently know for (and I’ve heard some mixed reports from the Dublin gig over the weekend)

That said, whether or not the average punter realises that is another story…

Personally, it’s probably the worst clash I’ve had at Glasto 

I think your average punterknows the name Bicep, but doesn't know a single song by them and frankly won't care - Icon is impressive regardless. 

For a music nerd, apparently Chroma is a bit sh*t, will deffo be back again in the next few years, & will tour extensively anyway -  and Len's is going to be absolutely mint if you're into heavy stuff, and I'm not sure when she'll next be back at Glasto 

18 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

I'm not funny at the best of times but my 5 month has deprived me of all sleep and now i'm just not making any sense

Haha, I thought it was me for a minute 😜

2 hours ago, TiZuff said:

I think its frowned upon to post the full % on here due to it being a paid donation feature . But the highest / headliner / noteable% are as follows as of today (dont forget demograhpic of people using CF will be mostly people like us so you prob want to add some % to more popular music):

LCD: 48%
Avril:46%

Coldplay:44%

Shania:44%

Bloc Party:41
Sugababes:38

Dua:37

BCS:36
Justice:34

SZA:13%

LCD surprises me there 

3 hours ago, HH46810 said:

How busy does everyone think Fatboy will be at the Glade Saturday night? Straight after Coldplay...

extremely busy. Glade is at a convenient crossroads - from the main stages towards Arcadia/South East, just after the headliners, all points to a ramfest

25 minutes ago, CH0161 said:

Can anyone shed any light on what the acoustic tent is like for headliners?

Fancy Gipsy Kings on the Sunday but not enough to be there a long time before it starts.

think you'll be fine, i saw paul heaton pretty comfortably there a couple of years back. I did wonder about seeing Gipsy Kings but it's a weird version - this one is the guitarist plus others (they also have a version which is the singer plus others).

7 minutes ago, CH0161 said:

Can anyone shed any light on what the acoustic tent is like for headliners?

Fancy Gipsy Kings on the Sunday but not enough to be there a long time before it starts.

Significant risk of a dirty look, and/or a tut from the seat campers at the back of the tent 😄 i saw Art Garfunkel headlining there a few years back, and it was great - but there are a lot of acoustic only types who seemingly stay there for the day and expect their blankets and view to remain as unruffled by the headliner as it was for the sleepy 11am opener. Id get there about 15 mins beforehand and you'll most probably breeze straight in