Football 2024/25

charlierc

Usually I'd wait for the Premier League fixture release day (which this year is June 18th) to start a new football thread for the new season. But with Euro 2024 starting on Friday, it makes sense to go early and go for it now.

So here we go. Anyone willing to make a stupidly early prediction for the next Premier League season?

... or indeed, anyone willing to predict Euro 2024 first? Personally I think France or Portugal, but I'm usually wrong with my pre-tournament hunches.

• Upvote 1

Euro wise, I think France are the clear favourites, with Germany, England, Italy just behind. Spain and Portugal could also win it, but I don't think many others could.

For next season, I think it's very hard to start predicting, with a lot of manager changes to come in. If Spurs can keep Postecoglou and not have a big internal row, I think they should get 3rd, but that's a big if.

It's kind of hard to see anyone earning 4th tbh. I think it'll be too soon for Slot to adapt alongside that Liverpool squad due for a refresh, Newcastle could but if we sell anyone or even struggle for signings I think it'd be unlikely. Man U look cack and have major problems, Chelsea keep selling whoever's done well at low value and buying left forwards, and also have a new manager, Villa are gonna be dealing with first season in the CL with a smallish squad.

19 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Euro wise, I think France are the clear favourites, with Germany, England, Italy just behind. Spain and Portugal could also win it, but I don't think many others could.

For next season, I think it's very hard to start predicting, with a lot of manager changes to come in. If Spurs can keep Postecoglou and not have a big internal row, I think they should get 3rd, but that's a big if.

It's kind of hard to see anyone earning 4th tbh. I think it'll be too soon for Slot to adapt alongside that Liverpool squad due for a refresh, Newcastle could but if we sell anyone or even struggle for signings I think it'd be unlikely. Man U look cack and have major problems, Chelsea keep selling whoever's done well at low value and buying left forwards, and also have a new manager, Villa are gonna be dealing with first season in the CL with a smallish squad.

I'm not so sure about Italy for these Euros. Feels like they're turning up with a weaker squad compared to the last one plus failing to qualify for either one of the last two World Cups has to be held against them. 

I backed Portugal as an option because they look to have a winnable path to the final, were excellent in qualifying and have some great attackers. Whether that's enough to count against Roberto Martinez being a hit-and-miss manager and Cristiano Ronaldo now have a 2 miles per day running speed is another matter.

England, I was more confident about a few months ago. But with Maguire out and Shaw a gamble, the defence to me seems like a real problem area. I'm not sure any of the back-ups have covered themselves in glory, and a likely quarter or semi with France will be difficult.

As for next season's Premier League, Newcastle could get top 4 imo, but it'll need some clever recruitment with FFP being tight. Villa had a run to the Conference League semis last season so I think they have what it takes to deal with European football, but FFP trying to mandate they sell players might be another problem.

Don't see much changing. 

City to win the league, Arsenal falling short. One of the most interesting parts of the new season, is how Liverpool do post klopp.

United will no doubt do relatively well if we get new manager, finish 3rd or 4th. 

Newcastle will do those fancy dressing room celebrations, by beating utd in October. 

Can see the usual scramble of 3rd-6th for spurs, liverpool, chelsea and utd. 

Edited by thetime

12 hours ago, thetime said:

Ten Hag stays 😆

Now that is a surprise.

Almost like they failed to convince Tuchel & Poch to come in as a replacement so decided he was better than some of the suggested alternatives. Or at least that's the primary reason I can think of for such an unexpected call.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

Now that is a surprise.

Almost like they failed to convince Tuchel & Poch to come in as a replacement so decided he was better than some of the suggested alternatives. Or at least that's the primary reason I can think of for such an unexpected call.

I suppose 2 trophies in 2 years swayed it. 

Just now, thetime said:

A few have said the FA Cup Final win was the pivotal moment that suggested ETH was someone that could work with the new Man United structure that Ineos want to put in place. In fairness, I can see that being true - the trophy helps but the way they did it also indicates there is still a degree of potential there, even if it wasn't enough for van Gaal.

I can see why they're doing it tbf and I know a lot of Man Utd fans on social media have been forgiving given the injuries and the still incoherent nature of their squad, but it's not often you see a club like Man Utd keep faith in the manager that took them down 5 places and saw them mauled in the Champions League. Although some have suggested he has lost some of his control on signings and might well be vulnerable to a quick sacking if they start next season slowly like Brendan Rodgers was at Liverpool in 2015.

3 minutes ago, charlierc said:

A few have said the FA Cup Final win was the pivotal moment that suggested ETH was someone that could work with the new Man United structure that Ineos want to put in place. In fairness, I can see that being true - the trophy helps but the way they did it also indicates there is still a degree of potential there, even if it wasn't enough for van Gaal.

I can see why they're doing it tbf and I know a lot of Man Utd fans on social media have been forgiving given the injuries and the still incoherent nature of their squad, but it's not often you see a club like Man Utd keep faith in the manager that took them down 5 places and saw them mauled in the Champions League. Although some have suggested he has lost some of his control on signings and might well be vulnerable to a quick sacking if they start next season slowly like Brendan Rodgers was at Liverpool in 2015.

Yes a new contract would be silly, but a utd thing to do. 

I would have changed to be honest, to many heavy defeats against the big boys last 2 years. But the choices were a bit naff, tuchel not for me. End of the day the squad is not good enough, especially strikers. Can we have Isak?

You would imagine it has to be top 4 next season, no matter about injuries. 

1 hour ago, thetime said:

In fairness all that really matters at the end of a season is trophies, so on that basis United had a better season than every domestic team other than City?

11 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

In fairness all that really matters at the end of a season is trophies, so on that basis United had a better season than every domestic team other than City?

I think for fans yes, for the money men no. It's all about champions league qualification. I doubt the the majority of owners are that bothered if they finish 3rd or 1st. 

21 hours ago, thetime said:

Yes a new contract would be silly, but a utd thing to do. 

I would have changed to be honest, to many heavy defeats against the big boys last 2 years. But the choices were a bit naff, tuchel not for me. End of the day the squad is not good enough, especially strikers. Can we have Isak?

You would imagine it has to be top 4 next season, no matter about injuries. 

A new contract is a bit of a surprise hint, but then again, some papers are suggested they aren't willing to offer big transfer/wage budgets and that may well have put people off.

I think Tuchel and Poch would've been good hires, but equally, it's a strange scenario to be in.

Isak? Well he's in negotiations for a new Newcastle deal and has said he's happy there, so unless we get something stupidly high, he's probably sticking around. I'm aware of the FFP stuff, which is also pissing off Aston Villa, though reports are some other players could be sold and means we don't need to sell Isak, Gordon and Bruno. Though I would also guess Newcastle and Man United might not have the smoothest relationship for such a transaction given the argument over appropriate compensation for Dan Ashworth.

6 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Isak? Well he's in negotiations for a new Newcastle deal and has said he's happy there, so unless we get something stupidly high, he's probably sticking around. I'm aware of the FFP stuff, which is also pissing off Aston Villa, though reports are some other players could be sold and means we don't need to sell Isak, Gordon and Bruno. Though I would also guess Newcastle and Man United might not have the smoothest relationship for such a transaction given the argument over appropriate compensation for Dan Ashworth.

I wasn't serious about isak. 

I don't envisage many clubs spending to much this summer. Utd priority is a centre back for me and perhaps a new midfielder. They also need to keep greenwood, although that doesn't seem likely. 

On 6/13/2024 at 6:53 PM, thetime said:

I wasn't serious about isak. 

I don't envisage many clubs spending to much this summer. Utd priority is a centre back for me and perhaps a new midfielder. They also need to keep greenwood, although that doesn't seem likely. 

In fairness I also had Arsenal and Spurs fans semi-jokingly asking for Isak. Man City trying to buy Bruno Guimaraes is more of a worry, although even then, the financial structure is looking like a possible handbrake on that one.

Reports are that Greenwood might be off to Juventus. Guess it makes sense to make it someone else's headache.

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I swear Muller has been 34 for the last 6 international tournaments!

scotland still doing comedy. 😛 

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

In fairness I also had Arsenal and Spurs fans semi-jokingly asking for Isak. Man City trying to buy Bruno Guimaraes is more of a worry, although even then, the financial structure is looking like a possible handbrake on that one.

Reports are that Greenwood might be off to Juventus. Guess it makes sense to make it someone else's headache.

makes sense for utd to cash-in on the violent abuser.

11 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I swear Muller has been 34 for the last 6 international tournaments!

Can't lie. I didn't realise he'd been called up. Even if seemingly as a back-up given Wirtz-Havertz-Musiala proved to be an exceptional front trio to be getting on with.

Well based on this one game. You suspect Hungary and Switzerland might not be so feeble.

44 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Can't lie. I didn't realise he'd been called up. Even if seemingly as a back-up given Wirtz-Havertz-Musiala proved to be an exceptional front trio to be getting on with.

Well based on this one game. You suspect Hungary and Switzerland might not be so feeble.

Lets be realistic only one Scotland player would make the entire German squad and yesterday was the result.

To me the big issue was more the goal difference. There will be teams that will get through in 3rd on 3 points, but I that game means Scotland will need 4 to have a chance.

41 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Lets be realistic only one Scotland player would make the entire German squad and yesterday was the result.

To me the big issue was more the goal difference. There will be teams that will get through in 3rd on 3 points, but I that game means Scotland will need 4 to have a chance.

Goal difference is used after the results between teams so it 'might' not be an issue. The fact that Scotland are just not good enough though is quite a large issue.