Football 2024/25

charlierc

12 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Goal difference is used after the results between teams so it 'might' not be an issue. The fact that Scotland are just not good enough though is quite a large issue.

It is for the individual group, but as far as the results for those best third place teams are broken down, it goes points then goal difference, goals scored, games won, disciplinary record and finally who was better in qualifying.

This was demonstrated at the last Euro tbf as goal difference counted really badly against Slovakia, who got a 5-0 mauling by Spain in the final group stage game.

39 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Goal difference is used after the results between teams so it 'might' not be an issue. The fact that Scotland are just not good enough though is quite a large issue.

If Scotland get 3 points that will mean Hungary or  Switzerland also have (at least) 3 points probably pushing Scotland to (at best) 3rd where they would probably go out on goal

difference. I think Scotland probably need 4 points now.

8 hours ago, Neil said:

This old fool is checking out how well the NHS is working today 

pretty good in & out of A&E within 5 hours.

20 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

If Scotland get 3 points that will mean Hungary or  Switzerland also have (at least) 3 points probably pushing Scotland to (at best) 3rd where they would probably go out on goal

difference. I think Scotland probably need 4 points now.

Agree with this. Think the incredible occasion got to us which was disappointing. When Porteous went off I feared it could get even worse than it turned out. We don’t score goals so the goal difference is gone.  Clarke will set us up to nick it 1-0 on Wednesday. Smaller ground, crowd etc,,,,we travel in hope 😀

I was surprised at how easy Spain found it against Croatia in the second half of the first half yesterday when they racked up an unassailable 3-0 advantage. Maybe a sign that those immortals in midfield have now had age catch up with them after all.

Albania scoring after 20 seconds against Italy was also hilarious. But as suggested, maybe that was too early to pull off something special.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

England pretty good, apart from Kane.

kane got near the goal just once and threw himself to the ground

7 minutes ago, Neil said:

kane got near the goal just once and threw himself to the ground

Wasn't that easy tbf given him and his Serbian defender spent most of the game more preoccupied with the other.

If nothing else, it actually did serve a purpose. I wasn't convinced by the look of the England defence with Guehi a relative novice to international football and Trippier out of position after being injured or error-prone at Newcastle since December. But they actually managed it pretty well. Serbia didn't create as much as they arguably should've done.

Sometimes just gotta take the win and move on. So it's onwards to Denmark on Thursday.

14 hours ago, charlierc said:

Sometimes just gotta take the win and move on. So it's onwards to Denmark on Thursday.

Based on the Slovenia vs Denmark game Serbia will be the biggest test of the group. I wasn't impressed with what went on earlier that day.

Premier League fixtures were released earlier. West Ham having no games outside London until November is a genuinely impressive quirk, as tbf is that Ipswich's first PL game since 2002 is the same opponent as the last time they were in the top flight (namely Liverpool, who in that 01/02 season beat Ipswich 6-0 and 5-0 so... probably not the best first opponent).

Newcastle v Southampton is an interesting first test, given it pits us straight away against the team that most like to pass the ball all day.

1 hour ago, thetime said:

The semi automated system works so well, premier league couldn't mess it up could they. 

I read somewhere that they'll need to change the ball contract, as only one ball manufacturer has the chip inside that reads the moment of ball impact and can then freezeframe the moment to call the offside from - if we use normal balls we'll be back to judging from a picture and itll be a waste of time and no quicker at all.

So yeah, the premier league will stuff it up 😃

45 minutes ago, Neil said:

is it right that England could end up playing Scotland?

if so,  when might that be?

It is possible, but I think it'll need England to win their group and Scotland to finish third with 4 points in their group. If they lose to Switzerland tonight, it's not happening.

Just now, charlierc said:

It is possible, but I think it'll need England to win their group and Scotland to finish third with 4 points in their group. If they lose to Switzerland tonight, it's not happening.

comedy hour is about to start. 😛 

44 minutes ago, Neil said:

comedy hour is about to start. 😛 

Seems like this may have jinxed it given Scotland lead.

Fabian Schar being in the wrong place at the wrong time for the goal, not something that happened much at Newcastle last season. Him getting injured in a collision but being made to carry on, however, felt like a weekly occurrence.

13 minutes ago, charlierc said:

... oh. Spoke too soon.

Neat finish by Shaqiri, dreadful backpass to set him up.

In 2018, Shaqiri was the most Googled personality in Switzerland

and they wonder why we think they're dull. 😛 

13 hours ago, Neil said:

is it right that England could end up playing Scotland?

if so,  when might that be?

Well, a win for Scotland against Hungary on Sunday and it might just be on.

Guess we shall see what happens from here. 

3 hours ago, charlierc said:

Well, a win for Scotland against Hungary on Sunday and it might just be on.

Guess we shall see what happens from here. 

I think it will be on, can’t see anyone going out on 4. Think in past years of same format there have always been teams on 3 points who went through. 

I thought Switzerland were the better team, but Scotland much better than last game and had their chances. Scotland v Hungary should be good as a draw no good for either.

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I think it will be on, can’t see anyone going out on 4. Think in past years of same format there have always been teams on 3 points who went through. 

I thought Switzerland were the better team, but Scotland much better than last game and had their chances. Scotland v Hungary should be good as a draw no good for either.

Scotland still not great but a big improvement on Fridays shambles. Billy Gilmour has to start again on Sunday and Tierney now out weakens the defence even more 🙈

Good to still be in with a shout come the last game. Again, we travel in hope.

Talking of travel, have enjoyed a couple of long train journeys with English lads this week. Great craic and banter. You’ll be disappointed to hear that Neil 😃

One minor gripe, taking at least 2 hours to get in to the stadiums. Was expecting delays in the opening game but doubt very much it takes the Germans 2 hours to get the crowd in to a stadium like we were at last night every Saturday.

23 hours ago, charlierc said:

If……Scotland don’t make an arse of it on Sunday, their most likely opponent would be Spain. Plenty of football to be played though so not much on or off the table.