Football 2024/25

charlierc

26 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I think the quality of football on show has been absolutely dire! I haven't watched every game but I can only remember one or two games that could be described as exciting. Spain have been the best of a bad bunch but they're a long way short of being a 'great' team. 

I thought  a lot of the 2pm games were good when it was generally smaller nations playing with freedom. The knockouts can often be hard work, I saw 2 0-0 matches live in the knockouts of euro 96. The tournament also has the disadvantage of following a mid season World Cup when players were fresh.

I mean, England should beat this Dutch side. I know they're attacked with more flair than England, but that's largely been against pretty weak teams. Turkey were better, but after that improved performance against the Swiss I don't think they'll beat England. It'll probably be a dull match as England slow the play down for both teams, but I think England are probably tournament favourites.

And yes, Spain have looked much much better than England all tournament, but they lack a finisher, they look vulnerable at the back, and they look very dependent on two very young wingers. Another 120 minutes against France which seems likely with how the French are setting up to be even more drab than we are, and I don't think they'll have the legs to play all game against England.

16 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Could do a Portugal and win the Euros with 5 draws!

UEFA must be so pleased that their format first generated that and then if the Dutch win the Euros, it'll be a second tournament win for a third place term in 3 tournaments, or alternatively, England doing that by deciding winning in 90 minutes is optional.

An England v France final will be dour if it comes to that. But I guess we'll see what happens this week.

Least the penalties were good. 5 pinpoint penalties indeed.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

UEFA must be so pleased that their format first generated that and then if the Dutch win the Euros, it'll be a second tournament win for a third place term in 3 tournaments, or alternatively, England doing that by deciding winning in 90 minutes is optional.

An England v France final will be dour if it comes to that. But I guess we'll see what happens this week.

At no point did I feel like anyone of them would miss. 

Is it wrong I sort of miss the tension?

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

For balance clubs knowing that third can qualify means they approach the tournament differently from if only top 2 qualified. I would prefer them to just increase to 32 as I think it’s a lot neater.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

For balance clubs knowing that third can qualify means they approach the tournament differently from if only top 2 qualified. I would prefer them to just increase to 32 as I think it’s a lot neater.

I think there's talk of it going up to 32 in the not-too distant future. Maybe not for when it comes to the UK/Ireland in 4 years time though.

3 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I think increasing from 16 teams was good, but you could have gone to 20 teams and had 4 groups of 5 with top 2 qualifying.