Football 2024/25

charlierc

2 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

With the players at his disposal (Bellingham, Foden, Rice, etc) England should have been winning that tournament. With a good manager they surely would have. Southgate is a liability - piss poor manager!

You could make the same argument for Germany and France, both have fantastic squads too 

Why would you ‘surely have won it’ with a different manager? It’s the same old, the last golden generation did the exact same thing 

5 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

With the players at his disposal (Bellingham, Foden, Rice, etc) England should have been winning that tournament. With a good manager they surely would have. Southgate is a liability - piss poor manager!

They should have won the last Euros, but this time I felt there was a team who were just significantly better, both in the final and throughout the tournament.

I am not a huge fan of Southgate, but who is the successor waiting in the wings who will be much bettter?

23 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Losing to a decent Spanish team in the finals isn't bad!

Some key players like Kane, Foden and Bellingham didn't play that well, especially Kane. Looked a bit knackered.

16 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

They should have won the last Euros, but this time I felt there was a team who were just significantly better, both in the final and throughout the tournament.

I am not a huge fan of Southgate, but who is the successor waiting in the wings who will be much bettter?

I don't know who, but surely someone who could utilise England's strength - their attacking talent. Bellingham, possible ballon d'or winner. Foden, Premier league player of the year, Kane, multiple golden Boot winner, etc. They had easily the best squad in the tournament. Yet Southgate continues to play safety first football. 

You need to take risks to win trophies but Southgate only takes risks when England are behind. 

I'm not an England fan but if I was, I'd be seriously pissed off with their performances in this tournament. 

32 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Losing to a decent Spanish team in the finals isn't bad!

Some key players like Kane, Foden and Bellingham didn't play that well, especially Kane. Looked a bit knackered.

Has Kane ever performed in a big game? I’m struggling to think of what is the definitive Kane game.

34 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I don't know who, but surely someone who could utilise England's strength - their attacking talent. Bellingham, possible ballon d'or winner. Foden, Premier league player of the year, Kane, multiple golden Boot winner, etc. They had easily the best squad in the tournament. Yet Southgate continues to play safety first football. 

You need to take risks to win trophies but Southgate only takes risks when England are behind. 

I'm not an England fan but if I was, I'd be seriously pissed off with their performances in this tournament. 

The reason Kane, Foden and Bellingham are as effective at the domestic level is they have players from other countries who help get the most out of them.

I would also dispute this idea about them easily having the best squad. What makes it so much better than France? People talk about the strength on the bench but what have Englands subs won in their career? Apart from Gomez (who was making up the numbers) and Trent not very much.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

We've gone from England have the best players in the world to they're actually pretty mediocre but are in good teams.

Maybe England have some of the best players in the world, and maybe they just got to the final of the euros and lost by one goal?

Always the same with England. Do other countries media build expectation to such an extent that the only thing left when they don't meet those expectations is to find blame wherever they can. 

England didn't play well over the tournament, I think we can all acknowledge that but they got to the final and although Spain were undoubtedly the better team England held their own for the majority of the match only being caught out in the 86th minute and having 2 chances cleared off the line. People jumping on their backs fail to see that the Spanish side that beat us by one goal never lost a single match throughout and were simply the best team in the tournament. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I don't know, but he has scored quite a lot of goals.

Agreed he has scored a lot of goals, put I think I would put him in that category of prolific, but not a big game player. I think I heard it’s 3 goals in 15 in career semi final/final matches.

42 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

We've gone from England have the best players in the world to they're actually pretty mediocre but are in good teams.

Maybe England have some of the best players in the world, and maybe they just got to the final of the euros and lost by one goal?

I think the fact that the draw opened up so much makes it difficult to judge . If they had beaten Germany and France (like Spain did) to get to the final you really stand up and notice. Now you just don’t know if they just benefited from a kind draw. 

To me the truth lies somewhere in the middle and views are distorted because people are watching the premiership every week and don’t know who is playing for Sociedad and Bilbao. As I have said a lot of talk about England bench, but what have these players won?

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

. As I have said a lot of talk about England bench, but what have these players won?

yeah, well not all the players can play for City...but there are still quality players from Villa, Chelsea, Man U and errr..Brentford.

Edited by steviewevie

9 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

The last Euros was the bigger missed opportunity imo. Yes, it didn't help that Wembley on final day was hysterical and created this weird atmosphere around it, but to fail to win after scoring within two minutes was bad game management.

Here, Spain were just better. First half was mutually uninteresting but when things got more interesting after the break, they had the moments to stretch the defence and find a way through. It is what it is.

I don’t understand why we only seemed to attack teams when we are behind. Apparently Southgate was about to bring on Gallagher and Trippier just as Spain scored to sit deeper.

I could see Howe doing a job but doubt he’d want to leave Newcastle 

I'm an irish too, and to be honest was fairly neutral about it. Would've been happy for my England supporting mates if they'd won, but also really enjoyed Dani Olmo and both spanish wingers - really fun to watch in a way that England havnt been at any stage of the tournament at all. 

Though my pre-tournament prediction about england going out to the first decent team they face was true, it just didnt happen until the final- germany and france both wouldve beaten England too i think. There's no shame in getting to the final, second one in three years, its really bloody hard to win finals! 

8 hours ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, well not all the players can play for City...but there are still quality players from Villa, Chelsea, Man U and errr..Brentford.

Good players , but other countries have good players on their benches as well. They are just not playing in the EPL.

8 hours ago, steviewevie said:

yes overall Spain were the better side, but it's not as if England got demolished by them. 

Interesting stat about how Spain were the first team since 2002 to win ever game in a Euros and World Cup and Brazil had a much easier route to that, I didn’t realise how rare it was.

If England had equalised yesterday and won the trophy, it would have been a w 2, d 5 record in 90 minutes. If your an England fan you don’t care, but there’s something unsatisfactory about a team winning that way.

5 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Good players , but other countries have good players on their benches as well. They are just not playing in the EPL.

well...yeah...not all of them are world class...but overall it's a good squad of players. Problem is more that they are a good attacking side with a defensive manager, and the fact he stuck with Kane even though he obviously wasn't 100%.

Edited by steviewevie

8 hours ago, lost said:

I could see Howe doing a job but doubt he’d want to leave Newcastle 

Naturally, I'm not going to want this given we have a good thing going at Newcastle and replacing our manager right on the eve of the new season would be a pain in the arse.

There are some whispers about whether he's truly set on staying at Newcastle in fairness given that Staveley and her husband have left the club having been the people who appointed Howe in 2021. 

We have two things to consider first tbf. First, does Southgate want to stick around for one more try at the World Cup in 2 years time? Second, do the FA want to go for someone who would require a compensation fee? Some of their alleged other targets like Graham Potter or Thomas Tuchel are currently between jobs.

Although given Tuchel is German, I can only guess the hysteria certain newspapers will produce. Appointing the Swedish Sven in 2001 was bad enough from that lot.

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Interesting stat about how Spain were the first team since 2002 to win ever game in a Euros and World Cup and Brazil had a much easier route to that, I didn’t realise how rare it was.

If England had equalised yesterday and won the trophy, it would have been a w 2, d 5 record in 90 minutes. If your an England fan you don’t care, but there’s something unsatisfactory about a team winning that way.

Spain were unquestionably the team of the tournament - beating Croatia, Italy, Germany, France and England is a hell of a thing to reel off, to say nothing of being the team that won 100% of games, which is a rarity for national tournaments tbf.

I mean, Portugal won in Euro 2016 with an even worse record of W1 D6 in 90 minutes and where they were a third place team in the group lucky that Turkey and Albania recorded negative goal differences. Yet it's still a moment that gets a picture place in their national picturebook given they'd never won a major trophy before. So, tbf, if you win it and finally end 58 years of waiting to add to 1966, who gives a sh*t if you win it by boring the opponent?

Kane even though he obviously wasn't 100%.

Difficult to tell with Kane. He plays much better with wingers rather than the England set up with two number 10's. Both of which were looking for the through ball whilst he was dropping deeper. Looks like Pickford was told to launch the ball up to him so was mainly playing to win the first ball. I think he would of done much better with say Gordon playing on the left.

Although given Tuchel is German, I can only guess the hysteria certain newspapers will produce. Appointing the Swedish Sven in 2001 was bad enough from that lot.

Yeah doesn't have to be English. Poch and even Klopp both available.