Football 2024/25

charlierc

1 minute ago, MilkyJoe said:

This is why I don't think Potter is a good fit...

Personally I include Eddie Howe despite his time at Newcastle (who I could argue are actually a 'small' club).

I would rather an English manager given history of overseas ones failing miserably but perhaps there is little or no choice unless we see a massive curve ball and they appoint someone with little top league managerial experience, someone involved in the England set up already who understands that kind of management and how it differs from club management.

20 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Personally I include Eddie Howe despite his time at Newcastle (who I could argue are actually a 'small' club).

I would rather an English manager given history of overseas ones failing miserably but perhaps there is little or no choice unless we see a massive curve ball and they appoint someone with little top league managerial experience, someone involved in the England set up already who understands that kind of management and how it differs from club management.

Exactly this is what needs to happen. For me, the huge names, Pep, Mourinho, Pochettino etc. as good as they are, could end up taking us back to the days of individual players instead of the team we have now.

I haven't heard a single mention of Steve Holland (Gareth's No. 1) who could easily slip into the job at least as an interim manager. And he is English.

I've already mentioned Lee Carsley who again has to be a solid contender. Sarina would be the massive curve ball and it would be nothing if not progressive...

• Upvote 1

Lee Carsley has 40 caps for Ireland, despite being born in Birmingham. And if he is to take over the England role, his first game in charge would be . . . Ireland away.

As an Irish living here in England i love a bit of the divided loyalties too, so i'm all in for Carsley taking the job. Ireland appointed an icelandic dentist as their manager earlier this week (no, really, i'm not just looking at what3words and calling out a place, icelandic.dentist.manager!) so lets just mix it up and see what lands 👍

9 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I don’t the sample size of foreign managers is big enough to draw conclusions. I also wouldn’t rank Sven as a failure , he always lost to the first good team he came against. Southgate the same but just lucky to play better teams later.

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I don’t the sample size of foreign managers is big enough to draw conclusions. I also wouldn’t rank Sven as a failure , he always lost to the first good team he came against. Southgate the same but just lucky to play better teams later.

The Swiss beat Italy 2-0 and therefore, IMHO are better than Italy yet if England faced Italy people would have said we faced a better team.

Whatever the world rankings are at any time are based on previous matches and when Spain started to win stuff they were not number 1 in the world nor were France. At one point during all this England were ranked higher than France - were England a better team than France?

10 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Given the sheer amount of noise around Newcastle at any one time, I don't think we're that small a club. Though I'm aware we're building our way back up after the 14 wasted years of Ashley & Sports Direct.

2 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The Swiss beat Italy 2-0 and therefore, IMHO are better than Italy yet if England faced Italy people would have said we faced a better team.

Whatever the world rankings are at any time are based on previous matches and when Spain started to win stuff they were not number 1 in the world nor were France. At one point during all this England were ranked higher than France - were England a better team than France?

I’m not judging on world rankings but my own judgement. I think the teams that knocked Svens England out are better than anyone Southgate beat. What is Southgate big win? Probably Germany a team (a team who flopped in world cups either side) with home advantage.

18 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Lee Carsley has 40 caps for Ireland, despite being born in Birmingham. And if he is to take over the England role, his first game in charge would be . . . Ireland away.

As an Irish living here in England i love a bit of the divided loyalties too, so i'm all in for Carsley taking the job. Ireland appointed an icelandic dentist as their manager earlier this week (no, really, i'm not just looking at what3words and calling out a place, icelandic.dentist.manager!) so lets just mix it up and see what lands 👍

One of the many rumours doing the rounds is that the FA want to bring in Guardiola when his Man City contract expires at the end of this upcoming season and would work with an interim for the next year. So if they do decide to go down this road, giving Carsley the role for a year and with it the curious loyalties of managing against Ireland home and away would be an option.

Not that it would be the first time tbf, given one of the most decorated names in Irish football was Jack Charlton, who was the manager that took Ireland to their first three major international tournaments including a win over England in their first ever major tournament appearance at Euro 1988, which took place 22 years after he had been part of England's 1966 winning team.

Klopp being ruled out is less of a surprise - he said he wanted to take the next year off, and I fail to see what job would've tempted him otherwise.

10 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I’m not judging on world rankings but my own judgement. I think the teams that knocked Svens England out are better than anyone Southgate beat. What is Southgate big win? Probably Germany a team (a team who flopped in world cups either side) with home advantage.

There's an argument on whether the Netherlands counts as a big win, given the Dutch still had dangerous talents of their own, but equally, it was something of a diminished Dutch side compared to teams of yore. Coming from behind to beat a team with some really talented players and arguably the better side in that game is still noteworthy, but whether it's noteworthy enough is another matter.

I think it's a revisionism but looking at it, Sven's England were knocked out by a brilliant team and then one they were close with on penalties.

At the 2002 World Cup, England just lost to the best team in the tournament, even if that Brazil game is something those of us who were in school at that time and watched it in assembly halls still pout about. Euro 2004 and the 2006 World Cup defeats by Portugal were both on penalties but different kind of pain - 2004 was a competitive game where England basically did what they did against Italy at Wembley 3 years ago, albeit with the caveat of a goal being incorrectly disallowed in stoppage time, while in 2006, they were lucky to reach penalties thanks to injuries and red cards. But equally, they weren't far off in all 3. How exactly it fell apart so quickly under McClaren to the point where England failed to qualify for Euro 2008 is another query.

Not that I'm saying X/Twitter is unreliable but I've gone on to see Eddie Howe did an interview where he somehow simultaneously confirmed he'll be staying at Newcastle and also leaving for the England job.

Although I think it's likelier than not Southgate's replacement will be somebody else ngl.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2024 at 10:13 AM, charlierc said:

Wonder how many CV's they've received from people saying they've won the World Cup with England on Football Manager.

... irony is I have but it was on FM07 back when I was a teenager so might not be that relevant anymore.

Years ago, a bloke I used to work with applied for the vacant Bradford job. He included in his application that he would need every other Saturday off as he had a season ticket for Liverpool 😄

13 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Years ago, a bloke I used to work with applied for the vacant Bradford job. He included in his application that he would need every other Saturday off as he had a season ticket for Liverpool 😄

No wonder that Bradford City decided they'd need a bit of a greater commitment than that aha.

55 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

https://x.com/NUFC_HQ/status/1820874378571104426?t=zwhM7rGBo_LWzYazXkb70Q&s=19

🤔

Edit: thought tweets loaded into this site?

Anyway basically Man U got 40m for Covid when everyone else got 1m and the avoided a PSR penalty because of it.

They used to but until iggy does latest update you can get them to embed by replacing the x.com in url with twitter.com and then paste new link . That should work 

19 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

They used to but until iggy does latest update you can get them to embed by replacing the x.com in url with twitter.com and then paste new link . That should work 

Hasn't worked for me when I've tried it. But maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Then again I've rapidly lost interest in Twitter thanks to Elon ruining it. So... eh.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

https://x.com/NUFC_HQ/status/1820874378571104426?t=zwhM7rGBo_LWzYazXkb70Q&s=19

🤔

Edit: thought tweets loaded into this site?

Anyway basically Man U got 40m for Covid when everyone else got 1m and the avoided a PSR penalty because of it.

Football finance expert Kieran Maguire has had a look at Man Utd's accounts and said that there were 4 reasons for this allowance, which were:
1: Cancellation of Summer 2021 tour
2: Bad debts caused by commercial partner insolvency

3: Club unable to fulfil sponsorship partner obligations in summer 2021
4: Broadcaster rebates PL & UEFA

I guess these can be easily explained and I assume most clubs had these issues in 2020/21 in fairness, plus apparently Man Utd have to legally disclose these things due to being listed on the NYSE whereas others do not.

But I guess there will be accusations of inconsistency, not least given similar issues with commercial partner access were rejected in Everton's attempts to get out of their points deduction last season after their Russian-linked funding had to be cancelled.

24 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

My interesting stat of the day. Bromley are the only team in the 92 with a conservative MP!

Apparently last season's 92 was a clean sweep of clubs in constituencies without a Tory MP. Though this season would've had that one either way given Solihull Moors, who lost to Bromley in the play-off final, also have one.

Confirmed that England U21s Head Coach Lee Carsley will take interim charge while England find a new gaffer.

Fascinating choice given England's first game with him in temp charge is against Ireland, who he represented at international level.

17 hours ago, charlierc said:

Confirmed that England U21s Head Coach Lee Carsley will take interim charge while England find a new gaffer.

Fascinating choice given England's first game with him in temp charge is against Ireland, who he represented at international level.

To me it’s the obvious choice based on alternative “English “ options not being particularly strong. If he does well you can give him the job, if not you say he was only interim anyway and roll the dice with a “not great “ option.