Football 2024/25

charlierc

14 hours ago, Neil said:

so were Kanes.

It's very possible his nomination is as much for being Bayern Munich's top scorer.

In any case, he's more likely a long-shot for this award to begin with. It usually goes to someone who was part of the Champions League or Euro winners, which tbf could've meant Bellingham as the likeliest 3 Lions candidate, but I think he's also probably a long-shot.

4 hours ago, charlierc said:

It's very possible his nomination is as much for being Bayern Munich's top scorer.

In any case, he's more likely a long-shot for this award to begin with. It usually goes to someone who was part of the Champions League or Euro winners, which tbf could've meant Bellingham as the likeliest 3 Lions candidate, but I think he's also probably a long-shot.

I don't know why they have to nominate so many, top 6-10 rather than 30. Who the hell nominates Declan Rice footballer of the year? 

I wonder if they will give it to Kroos. 

Edited by thetime

5 hours ago, thetime said:

I don't know why they have to nominate so many, top 6-10 rather than 30. Who the hell nominates Declan Rice footballer of the year? 

Kroos would've been likelier if Germany had won the Euros imo.

8 minutes ago, thetime said:

I was thinking more about his career and never winning it, bit like when giggs won the pfa player of the year. 

Or like the speculation there's been a lot of "Eh, this guy was due an Oscar" awards for films that weren't necessarily their career best.

Vinicius, Bellingham, Rodri and Haaland are apparently among the favourites in any case.

3 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Or like the speculation there's been a lot of "Eh, this guy was due an Oscar" awards for films that weren't necessarily their career best.

Vinicius, Bellingham, Rodri and Haaland are apparently among the favourites in any case.

Bookies have it a 2 horse race with vinny and Rodri. People have short memories and Bellingham (a great goal against an average side apart) was pretty crap in the Euros.

22 hours ago, thetime said:

Speaking of Declan Rice, am I right in thinking this is England's first trip to play Ireland at football since Rice opted to defect from Ireland to England and represent the Three Lions instead?

Because I suspect he's not in for a friendly welcome at the Aviva tonight.

7 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

There are many things in football I couldn’t care less about and who sings national anthems is definitely on the list.

Irish fans noted Lee Carsley didn't sing the anthem for them as a player and same with England's junior sides. Maybe it's just the nature of the beast for people to make mountains out of molehills.

9 hours ago, charlierc said:

Speaking of Declan Rice, am I right in thinking this is England's first trip to play Ireland at football since Rice opted to defect from Ireland to England and represent the Three Lions instead?

Because I suspect he's not in for a friendly welcome at the Aviva tonight.

He seemed to deal with it pretty well

I didn’t realise England’s interim manager had annoyed the Telegraph, Mail and Express (plus their readers) so much.

Carsley in!

Also seeing the Brexit means Brexit lot saying Rice should be dropped/punished for not celebrating properly/being too woke etc.

As an irish, it was a fairly predictable result, the performance in the first half was excruciating at times but improved in the second - funnily enough as England decided not to try as hard 😄 I thought we'd lose by 3 or 4 beforehand to be honest. There's a huge gulf between the two teams in terms of talent, exposure, resources, organisation, everything, and Ireland have got a fair while before we can even think about challenging for qualifying. Its just the truth of the matter - some of that can be changed, and some is just out of our hands. We can only choose from the players we've got, and we dont have anywhere near enough good'uns. Kelleher would be the only player even in the discussion for a squad place at england, the pool just doesnt go deep. Lets be honest, its not a pool, its a puddle!

In terms of the two scorers - Grealish i have no problem with to be honest, yeah he was capped at u17, u19 and u21 but he declined a full callup and he wanted to play for England, and if thats where he feels he belongs then i have no problem. 

Rice is different for me, because he also went u17, u19 and u21, and then accepted a callup to the main squad three times. Said he was irish, proud to represent the country, said he'd not defect (even came out with some hilarious 'Up the RA!' tweets that are worth digging out) and then took the shilling. So bollocks to him, i hope his next bowel movement is a pineapple. 

4 hours ago, charlierc said:

As if conceding the injury time goal to Poland in the first of this Nations League double header wasn't bad enough.

are the poles knocking someone out the cup:"gercha"

12 hours ago, charlierc said:

I kinda have struggled to get on board. It's like people in the late 2000s looking at 80s football going "Back when this sport was real!"

Anything before VAR is an improvement, the 80's nostalgia comes from when it was still the working class game before the prem though the hooliganism tends to spoil it a bit for me.

2000's / early 2010's also the best champions league period for me as well. Zidane, Fat Ronaldo, Pirlo, Rooney, Seedorf, Nesta, Henry etc.. early enough in the format when big teams across europe playing each other still felt special