Football 2024/25

charlierc

17 hours ago, thetime said:

What does the 80s, 2000's and now have in common? Newcastle winning f**k all. 😃😃

Winning the Championship in 1984, 1993 and 2010 doesn't count huh

... yeah I'm aware it doesn't. And indeed neither does the time in 2010 that winning a pre-season tournament in Spain got us this magnificent folly

?w=1600&i=1280906947023.jpg

Edited by charlierc

8 hours ago, lost said:

Anything before VAR is an improvement, the 80's nostalgia comes from when it was still the working class game before the prem though the hooliganism tends to spoil it a bit for me.

2000's / early 2010's also the best champions league period for me as well. Zidane, Fat Ronaldo, Pirlo, Rooney, Seedorf, Nesta, Henry etc.. early enough in the format when big teams across europe playing each other still felt special

I can remember the strange momentum break in a stadium. Last time I saw a Newcastle game in stadium 2 years ago (I live down south and they now have a membership program that makes getting tickets difficult), there was a VAR stop for a penalty given by VAR for a handball by a Bournemouth defender and there was a definite momentum break made unhelpful that it wasn't that clear it was a handball.

I agree the Champions League felt a lot more special then though. Jury's out on how this new sprawling format goes but it does feel a bit less magical at present.

Quite something that Friday had an article on the BBC Sport website bemoaning the lack of long-range goals anymore in the Premier League, and then two outside-the-box hits tilt Newcastle from defeat to victory at Molineux. Still unbeaten too, despite still arguably not playing that well and having had a week of our manager and sporting director apparently being sassy about one another.

Also will note a slightly surprise at the North London Derby before it. Thought no Rice or Odegaard would leave Arsenal with problems but Spurs just didn't get it together.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

Quite something that Friday had an article on the BBC Sport website bemoaning the lack of long-range goals anymore in the Premier League, and then two outside-the-box hits tilt Newcastle from defeat to victory at Molineux. Still unbeaten too, despite still arguably not playing that well and having had a week of our manager and sporting director apparently being sassy about one another.

Also will note a slightly surprise at the North London Derby before it. Thought no Rice or Odegaard would leave Arsenal with problems but Spurs just didn't get it together.

spurs were spursy.

On 9/13/2024 at 6:23 PM, charlierc said:

I agree the Champions League felt a lot more special then though. Jury's out on how this new sprawling format goes but it does feel a bit less magical at present.

For all the criticism of the sprawling format, most people don’t pay attention until the knockouts anyway. It’s just a different way of pretty much the same teams advancing.

18 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

For all the criticism of the sprawling format, most people don’t pay attention until the knockouts anyway. It’s just a different way of pretty much the same teams advancing.

I guess there'll be a degree of interest this year with this being the first chance the new format has had. Until now we've just been contemplating how this looks in theory, or at least playing it on Football Manager/FIFA.

The BBC getting a weekly highlights show is also a good thing and frankly something UEFA should've looked into a lot sooner. Even if it being on Wednesday this week means it misses the 6 games being played on Thursday.

Edited by charlierc