Football 2024/25

charlierc

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

Can anyone succeed there? So much noise and hysteria and a lack of evidence they're learning from previous past errors in the transfer market.

To be honest it's better, but it's for the future. Utd are not signing passed it pkayers, but the other way in signing to many youngsters. 

Which is more of a long term investment. 

And to many links to Dutch football. 

11 hours ago, thetime said:

To be honest it's better, but it's for the future. Utd are not signing passed it pkayers, but the other way in signing to many youngsters. 

Which is more of a long term investment. 

And to many links to Dutch football. 

Presumably if ten Hag leaves before January, that means any work in that window may have slightly less pilfering of the Dutch leagues. Well unless they do plump for van Nistelrooy given his biggest coaching experience is of that league.

It sounds tbf similar to Chelsea, given that their investment portfolio has all been about signing players under 25. Some of which (Palmer) has gone better than others (Mudryk).

3 hours ago, charlierc said:

Presumably if ten Hag leaves before January, that means any work in that window may have slightly less pilfering of the Dutch leagues. Well unless they do plump for van Nistelrooy given his biggest coaching experience is of that league.

It sounds tbf similar to Chelsea, given that their investment portfolio has all been about signing players under 25. Some of which (Palmer) has gone better than others (Mudryk).

It's a better situation than signing all the over the hill players on big wages. It will take a few years, but it's the right way to go. 

Erikkson is gone in the summer, likewise Casemiro one would imagine. 

They've got to stick by a manager eventually. Rather than the cycle of top 4 and then under performing and the manager gets the sack. 

Unless they just do that until they find the one, which tends to be the way at utd. Having only 2 managers winning the league in over 110 years is a bit crazy. 

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

Bit of a weird comment from one of the more intelligent guys on here.

Even more so when your club had to pay compensation to victims, for allowing sexual child abuse happen to your youth players. 

Cough cough Gazza, wasn't he a wife beater? 

Oh, there's a lot of obnoxious history at Newcastle as well. And I'm not going to defend any of it or the Saudis. But I'm quite irked by how Man U fans are mostly pissed at Antony being crap, instead of yet another domestic abuser when there's still a lot of love for Best/Giggs/Ronaldo.

6 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Oh, there's a lot of obnoxious history at Newcastle as well. And I'm not going to defend any of it or the Saudis. But I'm quite irked by how Man U fans are mostly pissed at Antony being crap, instead of yet another domestic abuser when there's still a lot of love for Best/Giggs/Ronaldo.

To be fair the vast majority didn't want anything to do with greenwood.

Fans don't really care about morals do they? As long as it brings success. 

Prime example Newcastle United fans. I'm sure the majority of Newcastle fans don't really give a shite about the Saudis human rights if it brings a pot or 2. Likewise if a player is accused of wife beating, but is still innocent without a court case. 

It's quite interesting though hakimi being charged with rape, still playing and no public outcry. Should a player be stopped from kicking a ball around on accusations? Or even if they've been found guilty? 

On 10/10/2024 at 9:29 PM, thetime said:

Or perhaps the England job, Newcastle is a good stepping stone for Howe and I think it's worked well in that regard. 

As an update to this, the Telegraph this morning said that the FA has not spoken to Newcastle since the early summer, that Howe's release clause is on the high side for what they want and that in any case, Howe's happy where he is. So I think this move might not happen, at least this time around.

44 minutes ago, charlierc said:

As an update to this, the Telegraph this morning said that the FA has not spoken to Newcastle since the early summer, that Howe's release clause is on the high side for what they want and that in any case, Howe's happy where he is. So I think this move might not happen, at least this time around.

You Newcastle guys seem a tad worried, bigger fish might come in. 

For me with newcastles's new money, it would only be one of the biggest clubs or England that can tempt him. 

Clauses don't really matter do they? If he chooses to leave, Newcastle are not going to stop him. They would just get there compensation. 

I suppose it depends if he feels Newcastle are stagnating. 

3 minutes ago, thetime said:

You Newcastle guys seem a tad worried, bigger fish might come in. 

For me with newcastles's new money, it would only be one of the biggest clubs or England that can tempt him. 

Clauses don't really matter do they? If he chooses to leave, Newcastle are not going to stop him. They would just get there compensation. 

I suppose it depends if he feels Newcastle are stagnating. 

Eh. Like players, managers come and go, and tbf the FA is probably more respectable a way to lose your boss than when we had Alan Pardew poached by Crystal Palace in 2015. No disrespect for Palace, but ya'know - managing England's quite the big deal. If someone pays the alleged 6 million release clause the Telegraph claim is in his contract and Howe wants to go, then Howe goes and we go for somebody else. Circle of life, innit. Just that at the moment, the rumour mill suggests he's content. That may not be the case forever, but not for now.

In saying that - and I actually wasn't aware of this until just now - there's reports in the German media that the FA is in talks with Thomas Tuchel, although other sources here are saying the FA is yet to even start interviewing candidates, so - pfft. f**k knows who ends up getting it.

I thought it would be Graham Potter, so the idea of Tuchel jumping ahead in the queue is a surprise. I'm aware there's rumours they want to pinch Guardiola when his Man City deal expires at the end of this season but I would find that a surprise, even if he wants to be at a World Cup one day and as a Catalan nationalist, it's hard to imagine the Spanish FA risking the backlash.

24 minutes ago, charlierc said:

In saying that - and I actually wasn't aware of this until just now - there's reports in the German media that the FA is in talks with Thomas Tuchel, although other sources here are saying the FA is yet to even start interviewing candidates, so - pfft. f**k knows who ends up getting it.

That sounds like Tuchel getting his name around through the media, I'm sure he will be back in club management soon. 

8 hours ago, thetime said:

To be fair the vast majority didn't want anything to do with greenwood.

Fans don't really care about morals do they? As long as it brings success. 

Prime example Newcastle United fans. I'm sure the majority of Newcastle fans don't really give a shite about the Saudis human rights if it brings a pot or 2. Likewise if a player is accused of wife beating, but is still innocent without a court case. 

It's quite interesting though hakimi being charged with rape, still playing and no public outcry. Should a player be stopped from kicking a ball around on accusations? Or even if they've been found guilty? 

I think that's only because audio got released. If it were in the same way as everything else with credible evidence, I don't think there would have been any backlash. And the club themselves handled it atrociously.

In terms of what should happen with players... I think there's certainly an argument that national teams, and probably top-tier (trophy challenging, maybe even top division) clubs shouldn't be giving abusive men prominent profiles. The wave after me-too has just gone back to "oh, well that's in the past and it doesn't necessarily give them access".

37 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I think that's only because audio got released. If it were in the same way as everything else with credible evidence, I don't think there would have been any backlash. And the club themselves handled it atrociously.

In terms of what should happen with players... I think there's certainly an argument that national teams, and probably top-tier (trophy challenging, maybe even top division) clubs shouldn't be giving abusive men prominent profiles. The wave after me-too has just gone back to "oh, well that's in the past and it doesn't necessarily give them access".

I find the greenwood case fascinating on so many levels, a football forum certainly isn't the right place to discuss that. 

I can't see your point on the level of football, it's either morally right or wrong I would of thought. A player can not  play for say city, but can play for West Brom. That's neither here or there. 

People commit crimes, some crimes against women. They certainly shouldn't be stopped working in there chosen field, if it isn't against the law. Let alone those who have not even been found guilty like Greenwood/giggs and other utd wingers. 

They kick a ball around. 

13 hours ago, thetime said:

That sounds like Tuchel getting his name around through the media, I'm sure he will be back in club management soon. 

Certainly, given the way the British national press can be counted on to behave badly and turn molehills into giant mountains, I'd be surprised they'd turn to a German as manager given the sheer disdain the media greeted Sven and Capello with, and neither of those came from a nation that England has had a bit of a historic barney with.

Not that I'm sure on the direction. I got the impression from Carsley that he's not really that interested in the senior job and was fine with the under-21s.

Edited by charlierc

13 hours ago, thetime said:

I find the greenwood case fascinating on so many levels, a football forum certainly isn't the right place to discuss that. 

I can't see your point on the level of football, it's either morally right or wrong I would of thought. A player can not  play for say city, but can play for West Brom. That's neither here or there. 

People commit crimes, some crimes against women. They certainly shouldn't be stopped working in there chosen field, if it isn't against the law. Let alone those who have not even been found guilty like Greenwood/giggs and other utd wingers. 

They kick a ball around. 

I think the issue is we already know that convictions are already low with the general population. When you add in millionaires bank accounts and expensive lawyers there will always be a large amount who have little trust in the legal system.

27 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think the issue is we already know that convictions are already low with the general population. When you add in millionaires bank accounts and expensive lawyers there will always be a large amount who have little trust in the legal system.

Of course being a millionaire and accused of a crime, does not automatically mean guilt.

Which a fair amount of people imply. Which is down to jealousy of the accused lifestyle and wealth. My take is they don't really care about the victim, more interested in bringing people down. 

4 hours ago, thetime said:

Of course being a millionaire and accused of a crime, does not automatically mean guilt.

Which a fair amount of people imply. Which is down to jealousy of the accused lifestyle and wealth. My take is they don't really care about the victim, more interested in bringing people down. 

No but at the same time I don’t think anyone believes that having money doesn’t reduce your chances of being convicted .