Football 2024/25

charlierc

3 hours ago, charlierc said:

I'd heard about a £35M first offer being turned down because we didn't include a player going to Nottingham. This second rumour only came through yesterday. More surprised Forest turned that down tbh.

Can see the appeal given Elanga was great in the Newcastle-Forest games last season and we'd apparently tried for him during the "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" mini-window before the 30 June FFP deadline before instead buying their third choice goalkeeper for a massively inflated sum.

But this is football now. For the saga that went on far too long before deadline day, Marc Guehi is a great player but Palace wanted a van Dijk/Maguire-level fee for him which I'm not 100% sure if it was worth it. I think we should've tried for Trevor Chalobah as a Plan B - someone that ironically actually joined Palace on deadline day.

FFP seems to be biting Newcastle. I think we discussed on here when the takeover happened, how much harder it would be for newcastle to do a chelsea/city. 10 years to late, perhaps impossible with the current rules. 

4 minutes ago, thetime said:

FFP seems to be biting Newcastle. I think we discussed on here when the takeover happened, how much harder it would be for newcastle to do a chelsea/city. 10 years to late, perhaps impossible with the current rules. 

FFP is a little, but it's the PSR on top of that that's really brutal. We have £65m to spend between a RW and CB supposedly, yet sold Minteh, a really promising RW, for ~£30m because he counts as an academy player. He's exactly the sort of player we would be wanting to sign/play, yet the idiocy of this policy meant we sold him to fulfil various accounting rules.

That's not even about being able to spend money, it's about doing it in the right windows at the right time to fulfil bullshit. "amortisation" and whatever the bullshit is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Glad i was working today, same old united. 

Genuinely think Liverpool should've scored more than three as well. Which, not a great look for ol' Ten Hag, especially given he was lucky not to be told to bugger off in the summer to begin with.

21 hours ago, Neil said:

it'll be a spursy team that turns up to play you!

Apparently so. They were really good for a while but missed a load of chances, needed us to score an equaliser for them and didn't really have any answers after we retook the lead.

Newcastle are still arguably yet to play that convincingly well in a game this season and the question on our suspect recruitment could well bite us in the arse just yet, but 2 wins and 3 unbeaten and through in the Carabao to play a favourable-looking Third Round draw isn't a terrible start.

5 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

FFP is a little, but it's the PSR on top of that that's really brutal. We have £65m to spend between a RW and CB supposedly, yet sold Minteh, a really promising RW, for ~£30m because he counts as an academy player. He's exactly the sort of player we would be wanting to sign/play, yet the idiocy of this policy meant we sold him to fulfil various accounting rules.

That's not even about being able to spend money, it's about doing it in the right windows at the right time to fulfil bullshit. "amortisation" and whatever the bullshit is.

Apparently if we hadn't sold Minteh and Anderson we might have been heading for a 10 points deduction. Same with Aston Villa having to sell Douglas Luiz and 2/3 kids they rated very well, and with both of us, it was for the crime of daring to believe we could make the Champions League. Minteh was particularly deflating given he's looked good at Brighton so far.

I think last season, we kinda saw PSR/FFP tie itself up in knots a little bit, which is perhaps why this window ended up being quiet until a fairly manic final week and the threat that there's still a few PSR points deductions lurking potentially for a couple of clubs hasn't helped.

39 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Genuinely think Liverpool should've scored more than three as well. Which, not a great look for ol' Ten Hag, especially given he was lucky not to be told to bugger off in the summer to begin with.

RUUD waiting....

5 hours ago, charlierc said:

Apparently if we hadn't sold Minteh and Anderson we might have been heading for a 10 points deduction. Same with Aston Villa having to sell Douglas Luiz and 2/3 kids they rated very well, and with both of us, it was for the crime of daring to believe we could make the Champions League. Minteh was particularly deflating given he's looked good at Brighton so far.

I think last season, we kinda saw PSR/FFP tie itself up in knots a little bit, which is perhaps why this window ended up being quiet until a fairly manic final week and the threat that there's still a few PSR points deductions lurking potentially for a couple of clubs hasn't helped.

Yeah, and it had to be "academy" players to get maximum profit rating for PSR.

This system is absolutely batshit.

8 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Could have been another 7-0 based on the performances.

There were moments that reminded me of that 5-0 under Ole 3 seasons ago, and that one was bad enough.

Makes me wonder how Man Utd beat Liverpool in the FA Cup and a draw with them in the league during Klopp's goodbye a few months back.

38 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

As a Wrexham supporter I may be one the few on here who is focused on league 1. Steve Bruce returned today to management at Blackpool. That may be a decent job for him to take as the league seems stacked this season so don’t think there will be pressure and he should get time.

Guess it depends what Blackpool's expectations are, or indeed how much Bruce's capabilities have survived fairly bruising experiences with Newcastle and West Brom, who if anything gather were even less complimentary of him than we were.

Only 3 points off the play-offs last year so in theory there's a possible play-off challenge in there somewhere. Though yeah Huddersfield and Birmingham look very strong already as relegated sides, Wrexham and Stockport have made cracking starts as new-boys and Charlton look pretty good with Nathan Jones. So the competition, I imagine, will be frenzied. And indeed can't rule out Wycombe, Peterborough and others.

Speaking of League One, apparently Birmingham City spent £15million on a single player (Fulham's Jay Stansfield) as part of their big budget overhaul as a third tier side. Which is pretty wild - something like 4 times the previous League One record signing or something?

10 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Guess it depends what Blackpool's expectations are, or indeed how much Bruce's capabilities have survived fairly bruising experiences with Newcastle and West Brom, who if anything gather were even less complimentary of him than we were.

Only 3 points off the play-offs last year so in theory there's a possible play-off challenge in there somewhere. Though yeah Huddersfield and Birmingham look very strong already as relegated sides, Wrexham and Stockport have made cracking starts as new-boys and Charlton look pretty good with Nathan Jones. So the competition, I imagine, will be frenzied. And indeed can't rule out Wycombe, Peterborough and others.

Speaking of League One, apparently Birmingham City spent £15million on a single player (Fulham's Jay Stansfield) as part of their big budget overhaul as a third tier side. Which is pretty wild - something like 4 times the previous League One record signing or something?

I would put Blackpool in with other ex premiership teams Wigan and Reading as unlikely to go up or down, don’t think any have the finances. I see Wycombe in that middle grouping as well , but would add Bolton , Barnsley and possibly Rotherham to competition for promotion. Some serious spending going on for that level, but everyone dwarfed by Birmingham. Apparently the rules mean spending rules in league 1 are less strict so Birmingham probably expect to have be strong in the championship when they go back .

10 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I would put Blackpool in with other ex premiership teams Wigan and Reading as unlikely to go up or down, don’t think any have the finances. I see Wycombe in that middle grouping as well , but would add Bolton , Barnsley and possibly Rotherham to competition for promotion. Some serious spending going on for that level, but everyone dwarfed by Birmingham. Apparently the rules mean spending rules in league 1 are less strict so Birmingham probably expect to have be strong in the championship when they go back .

Forgot about Bolton, Barnsley and Rotherham tbf. Even if Bolton and Rotherham have made fairly underwhelming starts. But yeah there's some serious competition for the promotion places down there.

Reading's issue seems to as much be a takeover that's been dragging on forever tbf.

Leicester city successfully avoiding PSR punishment by arguing one of the three years they were in the championship and the comitee has no jurisdiction there. Apparently using the criteria they punished Everton and Forest with the were on for a 7 point deduction. I wonder if Forest will now appeal?

3 hours ago, lost said:

Leicester city successfully avoiding PSR punishment by arguing one of the three years they were in the championship and the comitee has no jurisdiction there. Apparently using the criteria they punished Everton and Forest with the were on for a 7 point deduction. I wonder if Forest will now appeal?

Apparently the Premier League is already investigating alternative ways to charge Leicester and has asked them to re-submit accounts by the end of December for another investigation.

So the Foxes might not be out of the woods just yet, but it doesn't exactly help with the way this is all layered out.

And Chelsea have been cleared:

The Premier League have cleared Chelsea's £76.5 million ($101m) sale of two hotels to a sister company in a deal which aids their compliance with the division's profit and sustainability rules (PSR), sources have told ESPN.

In the club's accounts for the 2022-23 financial year published in April, it was revealed that the west London club made a loss of £89.9m, but that figure would have been £166.4m had they not sold the Millennium and Copthorne hotels adjacent to Stamford Bridge.

The deal meant the two properties changed ownership from Chelsea FC Holdings Ltd to BlueCo 22 Properties Ltd. Both companies are subsidiaries of Chelsea's holding company, BlueCo 22 Ltd."

standards slipping at the Ballon d'Or Six England players nominated Captain Harry Kane, midfielders Jude Bellingham, Phil Foden and Declan Rice, and forwards Bukayo Saka and Cole Palmer are in the running and no ronaldo or messi.

32 minutes ago, charlierc said:

The age of Ronaldo and Messi is over now anyway. Neither's exactly playing in an elite level league, even if I think Messi could've still done a job in the right system.

ronaldo and messi are over but still streets ahead of the brits up for the award.