“Glastonbury will probably take one of its periodic fallow years in 2026”

broken monkey

8 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Not sure if the worthy pastures thing was given permission, they did ask for it but there were objections. Hope it does go ahead, it was good fun. 

I’d have to dig out the link, but I’m fairly sure for the new festival license/planning permission stuff for the pyramid & other works more recently that they relinquished the Worthy Pastures bit as a compromise to the local community. Sorry! Also enjoyed worthy pastures experience and felt lucky enough to be able to explore the farm in that guise. 

Dug back through an of link & it’s here https://publicaccess.mendip.gov.uk/online-applications/files/A91E5C7DD509685762687456BD21CE36/pdf/2022_2458_FUL-DECISION_NOTICE-1297469.pdf

No reference to worthy pastures, just the festival it’s self (& associated build/break) & the Pilton Party.

14 hours ago, paulshane said:

500 pages of "but my interpretation of what she said is ..."

11th June 2026. There has been no line up announcement, no ticket sales and there are only cows on the webcam.

”hear me out on my theory about why it’s just a ruse…”

I do wonder if its speculative based on the economy. In sure the earlier message was festival on for 26 and 27. But since then many other festivals have struggled either taking a gap or throwing in the towel. 

Even bankers to sell out normally like Shambala and Bearded Theory have/did not sell out.

Probably next year will be no different.

Given times are hard, (I still do not doubt Glastonbury would sell out in 10 seconds) but Glastonbury bot being on will be of great benefit to all these other festivals. 

Suddenly more customers to go after. 

Perhaps for the sake of the industry they lead they have bought it forward. 

18 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

No. It's been 5 years on, 1 year off for a while.

2007 - 2011

2012 off

2013 - 2017

2018 off

2019 - covid. 

It was always 4 years then 1 fallow year. The only reason there was an extra one in 2011 was because of London 2012. Then they did 5 years with 2018 off. 2019 was a festival with 2020 and 2021 lost. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Proper lol at the fact this literally comes from the horses mouth (sorry Emily) and people are still like...nah, dont think so mate/dont believe her.

I believe there might be a fallow year.

Which doesn't mean I believe there will be a fallow year.

Honestly I suspect it's down to them having someone huge interested in doing 2027, and if that gets firmed up they'd rather take 2026 as a fallow year so they can have them in 2027, rather than saying no.

42 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I believe there might be a fallow year.

Which doesn't mean I believe there will be a fallow year.

Honestly I suspect it's down to them having someone huge interested in doing 2027, and if that gets firmed up they'd rather take 2026 as a fallow year so they can have them in 2027, rather than saying no.

surely the whole show wouldn’t be decided on one artist like that? I think it’s all a bit of chatter and there will be a 5 year run and year off in 2027. 

4 hours ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Even bankers to sell out normally like Shambala and Bearded Theory have/did not sell out.

Pretty sure the only Bearded Theory to sell out since 2019 was 2022 with the rush after Covid, so it doesn't seem unusual for it to not sell out.

51 minutes ago, stuie said:

surely the whole show wouldn’t be decided on one artist like that? I think it’s all a bit of chatter and there will be a 5 year run and year off in 2027. 

Especially when a lot of the time they think they have a megastar pencilled in it never comes into fruition

4 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

Pretty sure the only Bearded Theory to sell out since 2019 was 2022 with the rush after Covid, so it doesn't seem unusual for it to not sell out.

Do you not think that festivals and other big live gigs are struggling more than ever? 

5 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

It was but as since 2019 there have been just 3 and the capacity was increased on those prior to 

23 hours ago, stuie said:

Depends how a big a deal it would be to have fallow year in 26 instead of 27. I don't think they would for most artists but for an act like Taylor Swift they certainly would.

12 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Depends how a big a deal it would be to have fallow year in 26 instead of 27. I don't think they would for most artists but for an act like Taylor Swift they certainly would.

That would have to be a heavy contract with a massive cancellation penalty! I don’t think Glasto would put any artist above the festival tbh. 

23 hours ago, stuie said:

As below, and for the festival, it probably doesn't matter whether they have fallow in their of the years.

30 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yes I think they would make that allowance personally. If there was a conversation where her availability means she's touring in 25, has 26 off and returns I'm 27 then I've no doubt they would do that. It's also not probably far of the mark. Whichever year I think it won't be Taylor that dictates above the festival, it'll be the festival want her so they decide that.

16 minutes ago, stuie said:

That would have to be a heavy contract with a massive cancellation penalty! I don’t think Glasto would put any artist above the festival tbh. 

Well they put SZA above the festival this in at attempt to make sure they booked two females headliners in anyway they could this year as by doing so you've got not only a weaker lineup for it.....everyone can see that and one of the biggest clashes of very similar fan base I've know of in 11 years of attending Glastonbury in response of it.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Right, but then you have to ask the question "what's the benefit to the festival of having a fallow in 2027 and on in 2026, versus having a fallow in 2026 and on in 2027"?

You're assuming some huge benefit to the festival of the former, which I just don't see.

(To be fair, if Glastonbury were a typical company, with investors and being hugely profit driven, yes, a fallow a year early means one less festival in a ten year period which means less money coming in, so yeah, there's absolutely no way they would do it. But the only people that truly lose out in that respect would be the charities that get the excess profits. )

14 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Right, but then you have to ask the question "what's the benefit to the festival of having a fallow in 2027 and on in 2026, versus having a fallow in 2026 and on in 2027"?

You're assuming some huge benefit to the festival of the former, which I just don't see.

(To be fair, if Glastonbury were a typical company, with investors and being hugely profit driven, yes, a fallow a year early means one less festival in a ten year period which means less money coming in, so yeah, there's absolutely no way they would do it. But the only people that truly lose out in that respect would be the charities that get the excess profits. )

after an enforced double fallow covid break I expect they want to get as many festivals in a run as possible.

and at this stage, I think they want to run at every opportunity while respecting the 5 on 1 off. 

plus other reasons like Michael’s advancing years etc 

In the spirit of wild speculation (which is why we're here?) I don't think Taylor Swift will play inside the next decade.

She's in front of the herd of music superstars now in a way she wasn't in 2020.  Plus, she was already a billionaire before the Eras tour, is still chasing the dollar and is releasing (IMO) sub-par albums to cash in whilst her star is high I can't see what she has to gain from playing Glasto now.  When things wain, it may give her career a slight boost, but God know she doesn't need that now or for the foreseeable.  I also don't see her and her team agreeing to any contract with severe cancellation penalties in exchange for a pittance of a fee.  Why would they?

MIght be a throw away comment.  Might be just leading expectations.  Might be a response to a lack of big touring artists in 2026.  We'll never know I guess.