camping coffee

tomstanley

Anyone got a good recommendation for a decent campsite coffee setup?
I have a jetboil so fast hot water is not an issue. 
Last year we used coffee bags and found them rather lackluster. 

Thinking maybe some kind of pour over setup this year?

Need to strike a balance between simple setup and clean up and decent morning coffee. 

Definitely Aeropress. Nifty little thing.

Just be careful when pressing though if you're doing it over one of those collapsible camping cups - lesson learned from experience, two hands and a solid surface is much preferable to scalding your own thighs...

Trying out a Pipamoka at the moment but it is quite a faff and it ranges from amazing brew to absolute garbage for no apparent reason (probably needs more messing about with than I am willing to do)

Will probably stick with my tried and tested French press travel cup and my Hario mini grinder. I really don't get sociable until after a brew so CBA hiking across the site to get a good coffee first thing 😄

9 hours ago, tomstanley said:

Anyone got a good recommendation for a decent campsite coffee setup?
I have a jetboil so fast hot water is not an issue. 
Last year we used coffee bags and found them rather lackluster. 

Thinking maybe some kind of pour over setup this year?

Need to strike a balance between simple setup and clean up and decent morning coffee. 

I tend to use a V60 pour over. I like the fact you can just lift the filter paper and grounds straight out after brewing, no need to even rinse out. And it makes a very tasty brew. Bit more faff to brew than an aeropress or french press (other than the fact they both need rinsing after use) but I quite enjoy the faff. It's a bit of a ritual for me in the morning. I even take beans and a hand grinder. Nothing quite like the smell of freshly ground coffee beans.

Agree about coffee bags. Never been able to  find a decent one. Even from specialty roasters. I'll sometimes take some for when I'm on shift stewarding but not for at camp.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I tend to use a V60 pour over. I like the fact you can just lift the filter paper and grounds straight out after brewing, no need to even rinse out. And it makes a very tasty brew. Bit more faff to brew than an aeropress or french press (other than the fact they both need rinsing after use) but I quite enjoy the faff. It's a bit of a ritual for me in the morning. I even take beans and a hand grinder. Nothing quite like the smell of freshly ground coffee beans.

Agree about coffee bags. Never been able to  find a decent one. Even from specialty roasters. I'll sometimes take some for when I'm on shift stewarding but not for at camp.

Nothing wrong with grinding by hand and enjoying the faff of it all. Stick the stove on to let the water boil and switching off your brain for a bit while you sort out the beans. It puts me in a nice state of mind I will be honest, then just let it brew and watch the world go by for a bit while you sup your coffee. Bliss!

Aeropress. I hate filter/french-press coffee so I make it very strong (two scoops cofee, only 1/3rd full of water) amd plunge after about 45 seconds (inverted method).

Its not too far off an espresso in terms of sweetness and strength

23 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Nothing wrong with grinding by hand and enjoying the faff of it all. Stick the stove on to let the water boil and switching off your brain for a bit while you sort out the beans. It puts me in a nice state of mind I will be honest, then just let it brew and watch the world go by for a bit while you sup your coffee. Bliss!

This is my absolute festival luxury.

Every morning, I sit outside the van and I hand grind my beans (usually ones I brought back from my May holiday somewhere). I put them in my V60, jetboil in no time, and brew into my lovely fox print tin coffee pot.

if you are into a nice coffee it’s the best way to start the morning. Not much faff and you feel like a billionaire. 

• Like 1