Glastonbury

Chips96

14 hours ago, Lucy92 said:

I don’t think there’s places at glasto you get invited into as such. Unless you are with an artist or bbc staff 

Oh, I was invited in there once! It was ages ago, and I can't remember who the artist was (nobody particularly famous) and they needed a crowd. We just got ushered in and they told us to cheer loudly at certain times 🤭 bit daft really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CharlotteB said:

Oh, I was invited in there once! It was ages ago, and I can't remember who the artist was (nobody particularly famous) and they needed a crowd. We just got ushered in and they told us to cheer loudly at certain times 🤭 bit daft really.

Ooh amazing! Yeah I guess artists will be able to, I meant more it’s not like a hospitality area as such 🙂 

8 hours ago, clarkete said:

Not in my book no. 

I find the very term repugnant in this context, but maybe that's just me. 

Google doesn't seem to have read your book, because if you enter 'Glastonbury Hospitality Tickets' it's mainly VIP options that come up. 

I think hospitality and VIP are generally seen as interchangeable terms.

The VIP bit will refer to off-site camping/ glamping facilities provided by independent operations. Nothing to do with the festival.

Inside the festival there are sections only open to those with a hospitality pass/ ticket - a camping area and the backstage compound in between the Pyramid and Other stages.

3 hours ago, Lucy92 said:

Ooh amazing! Yeah I guess artists will be able to, I meant more it’s not like a hospitality area as such 🙂 

Definitely not hospitality. We were pretty much their bitches 🤣

20 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

The VIP bit will refer to off-site camping/ glamping facilities provided by independent operations. Nothing to do with the festival.

Inside the festival there are sections only open to those with a hospitality pass/ ticket - a camping area and the backstage compound in between the Pyramid and Other stages.

Many of the VIP off-site tickets will include access to the hospitality areas on site though. There might be a slight distinction at Glastonbury but in general, hospitality and VIP means the same thing.

3 hours ago, Iphigenia said:

I think hospitality and VIP are generally seen as interchangeable terms.

By you clearly.  Anyone who thinks their more important than anyone else at Glastonbury is deluded or a git. 

A hospitality ticket is a well known and specific thing. 

7 minutes ago, clarkete said:

some seller's prefer to call them VIP as that deserves the  premium price they're asking for the tickets.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

By you clearly.  Anyone who thinks their more important than anyone else at Glastonbury is deluded or a git. 

I didn't come up with the term VIP. If you go to any big venue, whether it's a gig or a sporting event, people can pay more for a hospitality/VIP ticket to get a better seat, food, a special bar, backstage access, a massage...it doesn't matter if you call it VIP or hospitality, it still means the same thing. But you can call it hospitality if it makes you feel better. Geez. 

Just being able to buy a regular Glastonbury ticket is pretty exclusive tbh!

Edited by Iphigenia
  • Upvote 1

I didn't come up with the term VIP. If you go to any big venue, whether it's a gig or a sporting event, people can pay more for a hospitality/VIP ticket to get a better seat, food, a special bar, backstage access, a massage...it doesn't matter if you call it VIP or hospitality, it still means the same thing. But you can call it hospitality if it makes you feel better. Geez. 

Just being able to buy a regular Glastonbury ticket is pretty exclusive tbh!

I'm fully with you on the latter point, but I'm afraid I do balk at the term vip in regards to Glastonbury.  It's a unique and special event and that's one of the ways - we're all the same and it's not like those other gigs or sporting events. 

As Neil says there may well be third parties using that term to flog their hospitality tickets at hugely inflated prices, but it's petty generally accepted that they don't give you much worth having once through the festival gates. 

Sorry if being so pedantic is annoying, I can't help it

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

I'm fully with you on the latter point, but I'm afraid I do balk at the term vip in regards to Glastonbury.  It's a unique and special event and that's one of the ways - we're all the same and it's not like those other gigs or sporting events. 

As Neil says there may well be third parties using that term to flog their hospitality tickets at hugely inflated prices, but it's petty generally accepted that they don't give you much worth having once through the festival gates. 

I don't like it either, but if you can pay more you get more. And Glastonbury isn't immune to that. Not as bad as other places though! I hate those like BST where you have to pay more to get nearer to the front. Makes my blood boil!

2 hours ago, A Particular Grey Chihuahu said:

In the f**ked up society we live in it actually does. 

As has been covered, a little less so at Glastonbury.

Edited by incident

13 hours ago, clarkete said:

I agree with you. But saying hospitality instead of VIP doesn't solve any problems. It just just puts a mask on them.

13 hours ago, A Particular Grey Chihuahu said:

In the f**ked up society we live in it actually does. 

I seriously considered buying one last year, it would have wiped out half the money I have saved all my life, it would not make me more important than you 

51 minutes ago, mph said:

I seriously considered buying one last year, it would have wiped out half the money I have saved all my life, it would not make me more important than you 

You'd get preferential treatment. Wouldn't that be the festival treating you as more important than me.

3 hours ago, clarkete said:

Words matter 😘

Yes, so we should call it what it is imo.

1 hour ago, A Particular Grey Chihuahu said:

You'd get preferential treatment. Wouldn't that be the festival treating you as more important than me.

I don't think it would make me more important, you get what you pay for which would be the extras included, same as everything in life

VIPs are the people who hopefully put on the best show of their lives to entertain us

4 hours ago, mph said:

I don't think it would make me more important, you get what you pay for which would be the extras included, same as everything in life

VIPs are the people who hopefully put on the best show of their lives to entertain us

You get for what you can afford to pay for. I feel people have more of an issue with the wording than they do the actual issue 🤔

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, A Particular Grey Chihuahu said:

Yes, so we should call it what it is imo.

We should do, yes. Which is why the people who have seen it first hand, especially those who've seen actual VIP areas at other festivals, are taking care to call it Hospitality and not VIP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incident said:

We should do, yes. Which is why the people who have seen it first hand, especially those who've seen actual VIP areas at other festivals, are taking care to call it Hospitality and not VIP.

...or they both just mean the same thing and they chose one, like literally everyone else does. 

...or they both just mean the same thing and they chose one, like literally everyone else does. 

They don't though.  In other places you get a different experience within the festival for a vip ticket - typically a different view of the stage.  You don't get that here, hence my pedantry.  A shortcut between stages or a bar few people are interested in does not make one important. 

The hospitality ticket itself is hundreds,  it's the stuff outside the festival they're charging many thousands for..and that's not part of the ticket. 

9 hours ago, clarkete said:

They don't though.  In other places you get a different experience within the festival for a vip ticket - typically a different view of the stage.  You don't get that here, hence my pedantry.  A shortcut between stages or a bar few people are interested in does not make one important. 

The hospitality ticket itself is hundreds,  it's the stuff outside the festival they're charging many thousands for..and that's not part of the ticket. 

No, the terms can mean whatever that particular place wants it to mean, or the two terms usually overlap. And it's not entirely true that there are no exclusive places to watch the music from at Glastonbury. For example, the balconies above the Pyramid Stage. A friend of a friend won a competition to see a set from there a while back, and he was saying how he was hobnobbing with all the stars (or VIPs, if you will) and I know there are places like that at other stages too.

I'm not saying Glastonbury isn't better than other places, it definitely is, but at the same time, don't fool yourself. Don't over glorify the festival.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Iphigenia said:

No, the terms can mean whatever that particular place wants it to mean, or the two terms usually overlap. And it's not entirely true that there are no exclusive places to watch the music from at Glastonbury. For example, the balconies above the Pyramid Stage. A friend of a friend won a competition to see a set from there a while back, and he was saying how he was hobnobbing with all the stars (or VIPs, if you will) and I know there are places like that at other stages too.

I'm not saying Glastonbury isn't better than other places, it definitely is, but at the same time, don't fool yourself. Don't over glorify the festival.

Entirely my point - they didn't buy a vip ticket which entitled them to get there, in the same way you can't buy a BST style ticket which gets you a different view out front.

I'm not over glorifying it.  It is different in many key ways.