2024 Beer Pricing?

Ossielopes

On 7/9/2024 at 1:38 AM, Fishinginthelongdrops said:

Yes, certainly true at the bar just north of the Glade. They served cans and asked if you wanted it poured into a cup.

Car henge bar would just give you the cans of the Stonewall IPA....I thought the cans actually tasted better than the draught, the draught seemed too fizzy 🤷🏼‍♂️

12 minutes ago, kerplunk said:

Well, not 'ill' exactly, yeast is a laxative 😉

I don't know what the haze is in hazy beer - does it contain yeast?

I took loads of hazy in 2022 and now can't face it ... Just the thought of it makes me gag 🤢 juite says hazy but definitely not punk hazy Jane 🤢

This year I treated myself and I was never ill just very very drunk 🤣

IMG_20240601_162214.jpg

IMG_20240615_070326.jpg

Edited by gazzared

3 minutes ago, gazzared said:

I took loads of hazy in 2022 and now can't face it ... Just the thought of it makes me gag 🤢

This year I treated myself and I was never ill just very very drunk 🤣

IMG_20240601_162214.jpg

IMG_20240615_070326.jpg

Good effort! I was quite upset when I got there and realised I'd left my boxes of Tribute on the back of my trailer at home. That was my 'low strength' option!

4 minutes ago, kerplunk said:

Good effort! I was quite upset when I got there and realised I'd left my boxes of Tribute on the back of my trailer at home. That was my 'low strength' option!

My mate took tribute this year and I saw loads of others drinking it 👍🏼

Apart from you 🤣

Edited by gazzared

On 7/9/2024 at 5:54 PM, uscore said:

Did any of the bars have any other ales except the  Otter / Stonewall Inn IPA / Marsten that seemed to be everywhere?  Don't understand why this year all of a sudden places like Avalon, Cornish Arms or the Acoustic bar didn't have any different options.

I had a pint of 'Worthy Gold' at the Avalon on Friday, which was solid if unremarkable.

5 hours ago, kerplunk said:

Well, not 'ill' exactly, yeast is a laxative 😉

I don't know what the haze is in hazy beer - does it contain yeast?

It's my understanding that, when a beer 'dops bright,' that is the yeast and proteins in the beer being pulled to the bottom. Isinglass (or artificial) finings are used to achieve this, they bind to the sediment and pull it to the bottom. 

Hazy beer is usually 'unfined' which means they do not add any finings, so that much of the yeast and proteins are still floating around in the beer, making it hazy. (Maintaining a better flavour imo.) 

I admit, I haven't heard of brewers yeast being a laxative, so I had to go and do some research. However, I couldn't find any sources that agreed with this. I actually found sources claiming the opposite, and that it promoted 'good gut health.'

https://www.tuasaude.com/en/brewers-yeast/

I don't really know which is true, but anecdotally, I usually drink hazy beers and have no issues whatsoever. Whereas if I drink cheap lager, I'll spend a considerable amount of time on the toilet the following day.

11 hours ago, Alvoram said:

It's my understanding that, when a beer 'dops bright,' that is the yeast and proteins in the beer being pulled to the bottom. Isinglass (or artificial) finings are used to achieve this, they bind to the sediment and pull it to the bottom. 

Hazy beer is usually 'unfined' which means they do not add any finings, so that much of the yeast and proteins are still floating around in the beer, making it hazy. (Maintaining a better flavour imo.) 

I admit, I haven't heard of brewers yeast being a laxative, so I had to go and do some research. However, I couldn't find any sources that agreed with this. I actually found sources claiming the opposite, and that it promoted 'good gut health.'

https://www.tuasaude.com/en/brewers-yeast/

I don't really know which is true, but anecdotally, I usually drink hazy beers and have no issues whatsoever. Whereas if I drink cheap lager, I'll spend a considerable amount of time on the toilet the following day.

Ok but you probably don't want 72 pints worth in your pint 😉

1 hour ago, kerplunk said:

Ok but you probably don't want 72 pints worth in your pint 😉

I would return a beer that’s supposed to be bright if it was cloudy / hazy, without any shadow of a doubt. 👍 

And any bar person worth their salt would change it without question, even if it comes as a surprise, because the beer is pre conditioned. 

A bright beer can become cloudy / hazy again by being knocked, redistributing the sediment. Sometimes even the auto tilt can disturb it enough to do this. Whereas the bottom of the barrel is usually more than just cloudy / hazy, it’s often like a thick sludge. (Especially darker beers.) 

Either way though, you are well within your rights to return it if it’s not as intended, and should not be made to feel like you’ve done something wrong, as you haven’t. Regardless of whether it can or can’t make you ill, it just isn’t right, it’s supposed to be bright, and you’re paying enough for the pint as it is. 👍