2024 Beer Pricing?

Ossielopes

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Presume you also have to whack a tip onto those prices as well?

And don't forget that's pre tax, there's VAT or Sales Tax to add onto those prices before the tip. 

(I assume there is anyway, that's my experience of the states.) 

8 hours ago, kemosabe said:

Tbf, I think you'd pay about that in any major city these days. Let alone somewhere like London

I paid 25p more for a single G&T in Bristol Beacon Saturday night.

When did brothers Festival Strength drop to 4.5%, thats what the non-festival strength stuff used to be.  Anyone know if its the same from the Brothers bar?  It was always 7% (been a "while" since I've managed to get a ticket)

17 minutes ago, Adster said:

When did brothers Festival Strength drop to 4.5%, thats what the non-festival strength stuff used to be.  Anyone know if its the same from the Brothers bar?  It was always 7% (been a "while" since I've managed to get a ticket)

Probably when that change to high % pricing came in recently.

https://news.sky.com/story/drinkflation-beer-makers-reduce-alcohol-content-to-pay-less-tax-12905447

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Adster said:

Yeah unfortunately it changed a while back... tbh I think at least 2016 (likely before).

I remember when they used to fill up a 1.5/2L bottle for what I remember to be £10 ish which was the 7% stuff. Although naturally my memory is a bit blurry of those times 🤣

28 minutes ago, Adster said:

Festival Apple is the name of Brothers apple cider, so I think it's just that. My memory is saying that they made this for Glastonbury, but it was a while ago.

I think they still do the strong stuff at the Brother Bar.

Just now, compactdisc said:

I think they still do the strong stuff at the Brother Bar.

I hope so, wednesday afternoon was always spent weaving between thousands of people lying scattered across west holts to get to and from the bar.  

I don't think I can drink the lower alcohol stuff, without the alcohol to counteract it its sickly sweet.

15 hours ago, kemosabe said:

Since when was Derby a major city Dave.

Still a City.  Just.
😂

Nottimgham is almost as close to me as Derby and I have never paid close to that there either.

What is the definition of major city? 😉

Edited by Derby_Dave
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grinding aftertaste said:

Definitely still had the strong stuff at the Brothers Bar last year, with the weak stuff elsewhere. So I'm assuming it will be the same this year. 

The strong stuff was more expensive if I remember correctly, but I could be wrong. 

This is wild - people who still aren't paying five pound a pint!

I went to Foo fighters last week at The Olympic Stadium, lager was £7.05 - £7.75. I thought that was really good.

My local is £6.75 for Moretti and I regularly pay over £7 for Staropramen in Bristol.

If I can get three pints for less than £20 I'm happy 🙂

Even Spoons aren't much less than £5 unless you want dishwater. Some of you are very lucky....

7 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Can't remember the last time I saw pints under £5!

The only beers over £5 a pint in my local village pub are Neck Oil and Peroni and they're only £5.50.  Even Guinness is £4.60.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Derby_Dave said:

Still a City.  Just.
😂

Nottimgham is almost as close to me as Derby and I have never paid close to that there either.

What is the definition of major city? 😉

To be fair Dave, I think we're very close to you, (Old Black Horse) and we have some pints over £6 😕 

Beavertown Gamma Ray £6.10 😮 (It really hurt entering that price in to the till software though, after the spreadsheet we use said we needed to charge that!!!) 

Amstel £4.30
Cruz Campo £4.60
Birra Moretti £5.80
Inches £4.30
Old Mout Berries and Cherries £5.00
Guinness £4.90
Beavertown Neck Oil £5.80
Beavertown Gamma Ray £6.10

Real ales ranging from £4.30 to £4.70 depending on strength / cost price.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

To be fair Dave, I think we're very close to you, (Old Black Horse) and we have some pints over £6 😕 

Beavertown Gamma Ray £6.10 😮 (It really hurt entering that price in to the till software though, after the spreadsheet we use said we needed to charge that!!!) 

Amstel £4.30
Cruz Campo £4.60
Birra Moretti £5.80
Inches £4.30
Old Mout Berries and Cherries £5.00
Guinness £4.90
Beavertown Neck Oil £5.80
Beavertown Gamma Ray £6.10

Real ales ranging from £4.30 to £4.70 depending on strength / cost price.

Only Old Black Horse I know is Mapperley.

I expect keg beers to be dear I suppose.  Even those prices most are under £5

4% lager over £6!  Blimey.

Edited by Derby_Dave

3 minutes ago, Derby_Dave said:

Only Old Black Horse I know is Mapperley.

I expect keg beers to be dear I suppose.  Even those prices most are under £5

4% lager over £6!  Blimey.

That's us 🙂

Our 4% is only £4.30... Can you imagine if we tried charging £6 for basic lager around here? 🙈😂

We work everything through a spreadsheet that calculates what we need to charge to hit the required G.P. So everything on our bar is based 100% on cost price. The (so called) craft ales like Gamma Ray and Neck Oil just really are that expensive to buy in, hence it being over £6 here. 
You were spot on about Derby and Nottingham though, our prices are actually a little higher than lots of pubs in the city centres. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

That's us 🙂

Our 4% is only £4.30... Can you imagine if we tried charging £6 for basic lager around here? 🙈😂

We work everything through a spreadsheet that calculates what we need to charge to hit the required G.P. So everything on our bar is based 100% on cost price. The (so called) craft ales like Gamma Ray and Neck Oil just really are that expensive to buy in, hence it being over £6 here. 
You were spot on about Derby and Nottingham though, our prices are actually a little higher than lots of pubs in the city centres. 

Nice pub.  I have literally just picked up two camping mattresses a stones throw from you.  👍🏼

That's us 🙂

I did pay £8 for a pint of Neck oil at Ashbourne Shrovetide football.  They saw me coming a mile off.

1 hour ago, Derby_Dave said:

Nice pub.  I have literally just picked up two camping mattresses a stones throw from you.  👍🏼

Thanks 🙂  We just went out shopping and the missus left the back door wide open (we’re closed Mondays) shoulda popped in and helped yourself to a pint!!! 🙈😂😂😂

Thanks 🙂  We just went out shopping and the missus left the back door wide open (we’re closed Mondays) shoulda popped in and helped yourself to a pint!!! 🙈😂😂😂

Damn.  Next time let me know I’ll watch the place for you. 😂. I’ll even bring a few others for security.

23 hours ago, Alvoram said:

And don't forget that's pre tax, there's VAT or Sales Tax to add onto those prices before the tip. 

(I assume there is anyway, that's my experience of the states.) 

Yep.

image.png.7e4f3f6be02566266f3efcd7f92e1d22.png

3 minutes ago, incident said:

Yep.

image.png.7e4f3f6be02566266f3efcd7f92e1d22.png

Crazy... 

I hated trying to budget in the states, you see a price, in a restaurant for example, but you have to factor in tax, then a tip, it's bloody stupid. Just pay your staff right and charge whatever you need to charge to cover expenses and wages, and that includes the bloody tax too.