Do I come to the festival?

hodgey123

1 hour ago, hodgey123 said:

Thanks again for the continued messages of support. Unfortunately, Mum died this morning. She was a lot more settled and comfortable. At this moment, I will probably be going to Glastonbury as planned, potentially missing a day depending on when the funeral will be arranged. Thanks all. 

Mate, i'm so sorry to read this, its an absolutely horrible time to be going through. I wish there were some words that would help you, but i hope you know that there's a lot of people on this site, and obviously much wider than that, touched by your situation and sending you good wishes. I hope the next couple of weeks are event-free and manageable for you, and if you do get to glastonbury, you can pay tribute to her however you see fit. That bit between someone dying and having a funeral always seem to be kind of suspended, its a half-existence, you're just waiting and waiting, and then just sort of remember you havnt eaten in twenty hours and you're actually starving hungry. Very strange times. 

I think you can expect a fair few ups and downs over the next while, and a packed festival site isnt always the right place for those feelings - but there's always a few quiet corners to seek out, and you can get away from the hubbub if you need to.

By all means pile into my DM's if you'd like a bit of a chat about it, i dont know what its like for you of course, but i know my own experience of grief. I'll be stewarding at glasto and really absolutely 100% would not mind meeting for a cup of tea and a bit of a chat about things. And i send lots of love to you 👍 you might be a stranger on the internet, but still!

Edited by balti-pie
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, hodgey123 said:

Thanks again for the continued messages of support. Unfortunately, Mum died this morning. She was a lot more settled and comfortable. At this moment, I will probably be going to Glastonbury as planned, potentially missing a day depending on when the funeral will be arranged. Thanks all. 

Sorry to hear this

Thoughts are with you and your family 

Take care 

2 hours ago, hodgey123 said:

That was supposed to be a heart response but it wouldn't allow me to do it. Time now to take your time be good to you. She will want you to go and smash it even if that means you miss a day. Get to the top of that hill and raise a few glasses if that's what you wish. 

@hodgey123So sorry for your loss. Hope you can take the time at the festival to do something to honour her. As others have said grief is not a straight line. Don't be surprised if your emotions are all over the place and that can include actually still feeling happy and having fun at the festival as well. Sounds like you had a good relationship and your Mum would want you to enjoy yourself so don't feel guilty about it. 

Ahhhh so so sorry for your loss , I had planned to write a response about my experience of attending the festival whilst my father was in our hospice . 

Going fwd no one can tell you what to do. But if the timings allow a couple of days in the fields with some miles between home and you may be a welcome ‘reset’ . The god awful roller coaster ride of emotions, mental and physical energies is so very when being in your situation as I well know.  If you go it will feel different but there’s countless places to take time out for reflection but also it will be ok for you to smile laugh dance and just be you. 

for now take care 

Sorry to hear this @hodgey123

It's not quite the same, but my first Glasto was 6 weeks after my dad died of a brain tumour. In the early stages of grief I got quite angry at other people for just going about their normal lives - I wanted to scream at everyone just doing their shopping in Tesco - but I will say Glasto gave me so much peace. 

Make time and space for yourself, identify quieter spaces you can escape to if you want at any point, and have a toast to your mum. 

All the best. 

7 hours ago, hodgey123 said:

I’m so sorry to hear this. My DMs are open if you want to talk. I know how crappy it is. 

On 6/14/2024 at 11:14 AM, hodgey123 said:

Sending you so much love and healing for you and your family. My condolences  xxx

• 2 weeks later...

My mum died Aug 9th last year not long after G. Was in two minds to do it this year cos coming down to see her and then hopping off from hers near Bath to site and back again after was so much a part of the routine. Anyway, here I am - feels a bit weird that I don't need to call her to tell her how I'm getting on - but am here.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 11:14 AM, hodgey123 said:

I'm so sorry to hear this. I went to wilderness 3 days after dad died suddenly as I was running the yoga there. It's all a bit surreal being surrounded by all that joy when you are in that fresh grief. But also maybe a good escape... it's all so personal.   I hope whatever you decide to do, you manage to find some moments of peace in what is such a tough time.

1 hour ago, hodgey123 said:

I came and very glad I did. Few strange moments where I went to send her a photo or a message to update her, but that’ll happen I guess. 

So glad you decided to go. Hope you’re having the best time