Iona Community

I saw a picture of some people from the Iona Community setting up their area at Glastonbury (I had to look up who they actually were). I've also heard that the Hare Krishnas have an area.

Are these areas where general members of the public can go? And if so, what do you do there, just chat to them? Or is it just like a safe haven exclusively for them?

Also, what other similar groups are represented there?

Edited by A Particular Grey Chihuahu

You're free to go to both of those areas. My mum quite often goes on retreat to Iona so she went and spent a bit of time with them when she went (2011), assume nothings changed since then. I always go and give the Hare Krishnas a fiver on the Wednesday because most of the time they end up feeding me on the Sunday. I guess they're there to make themselves known to a wider community, never really questioned it before.

4 hours ago, flyingmonkeypigs said:

You're free to go to both of those areas. My mum quite often goes on retreat to Iona so she went and spent a bit of time with them when she went (2011), assume nothings changed since then. I always go and give the Hare Krishnas a fiver on the Wednesday because most of the time they end up feeding me on the Sunday. I guess they're there to make themselves known to a wider community, never really questioned it before.

The Iona one particularly interests me. It sounds really cool. I just don't want to wander in there, and they be like "who's this geezer on our patch?" lol. Not that I'd be able to find it. Are they well advertised or is it the sort of thing you just have to stumble upon?

The Atchin Tan place seems well advertised and in a prominent position.

8 minutes ago, A Particular Grey Chihuahu said:

The Iona one particularly interests me. It sounds really cool. I just don't want to wander in there, and they be like "who's this geezer on our patch?" lol. Not that I'd be able to find it. Are they well advertised or is it the sort of thing you just have to stumble upon?

The Atchin Tan place seems well advertised and in a prominent position.

I've only been once since 2011 and didn't come across them in 2019 so my memory may be mistaken but I think it's a similar vibe to Permaculture (i.e. hidden away in some bushes but not too hard to stumble across)

Edited by flyingmonkeypigs
  • Thanks 1

Just now, A Particular Grey Chihuahu said:

This is my first Glastonbury so I don't know the Permaculture place but that sounds cool too 🙂 will have a good look around in a couple of weeks time 👍🏼

Wednesday/ Thursday are great days for having a good mooch around, getting yourself acquainted and stumbling on all sorts. Enjoy, there's nothing quite like it!

1 hour ago, Iona Community said:

The Iona Community will be at Glastonbury this year - at the corner between Avalon and Block 9. 
We'll be offering a warm fire, warm welcome, and a wee space for a sit down. See you there! The Iona Community (@ionacommunity) • Instagram photos and videos

Ah, brilliant thank you. When I have more upvotes you'll get one 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...