40 years later..

sedra

Happy anniversaries everyone.  40 years is impressive.. what a lot of amazing memories you must have. 

I’m nearing my 30th year (27th anniversary and 18th festival).  Hope I get to 40 years too one day.

36 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

1994 - 2024. My 30th anniversary! Haven't missed a single one during that time either ☺️

nice one... and you've topped me by one!

I was well pissed about missing 2013 as it meant missing one of my favourite ever bands, Dinosaur Jr, on what I am sure will be their only trip to the farm...

12 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Saw them at Bearded Theory a month ago. Twas ace but quieter than their rep for noisy shows..

i can actually credit Dinosaur Jr as the band that totally f**ked my hearing - went to see them at Brixton Academy (this was in 1994) and then the next night they played a "secret" show at the Highbury Garage...  my hearing has NEVER recovered from that...

i'm on year 23 of my consecutive festival streak which is about 29 years I think, when factoring in fallow years. 29 years since my first one, time flies!

crossing everything I can do another 29 years 🙂

I know that by nature of the fact that we are on this forum and commenting we are probably some of the more obsessed attendees but it is incredible some of the numbers people have racked up.

A couple of years ago I was chatting to an older couple, maybe late 60's, before Paul McCartney and they said it was their first Glasto, they had been trying for years and never been able to get tickets.  When they asked if I had been before and I said how many times I felt a bit guilty. 

After that, I don't really tell people in the wide world how many times I've been, I just say that I've been before.

13 hours ago, -TLR- said:

i can actually credit Dinosaur Jr as the band that totally f**ked my hearing - went to see them at Brixton Academy (this was in 1994) and then the next night they played a "secret" show at the Highbury Garage...  my hearing has NEVER recovered from that...

My right ear if half deaf and that was Bentley Rhythm Ace, 1998, NME Stage. Was stood with the then giant sort of more ground level speaker stack immediately next to me for the set.

On 6/17/2024 at 8:45 AM, sedra said:

So my first Glastonbury was 40 years ago ( 1984) when some friends decided to visit their brother there who had gone for the weekend. So we bundled into the car from Marlborough, parked on the grass verge up top and walked down to meet her brother who passed their wrist bands over the hedge. We spent a sunny afternoon by the main stage before heading back home, stopping off in the pub for a meal on the way. 
My next visit was for the whole weekend in 1986, and this year will be my 20th since 1995 ( missed 2004, 2008 and 2023). I’m still stupidly excited about the whole thing. Working it for first time this year. See you in the fields this time next week! 

so you missed out 85 - the first muddy glasto - the only time I have seen a  
tractor drag out people { not cars - actual people } who fell in the mud - others tried to help and they fell in the mud - I reckon there was 12 who grabbed that rope - sadly no photos - I owned a very expensive SLR and there was no way I would risk carrying it about that year. I survived 85 

Last year I went as a Punter was 87 {Weekend Tickets £21} but ever since then I have been a Volunteer so you will experience a lot more provided you get on site a few days before the gates open. 

lots of crew bars { see below } I cant make it this year {My building  and another { 400 flats in total } is being decommissioned so they are holding Housing Needs Assessments  interviews which may start in June so have to be here}

CREW-BAR_j4.thumb.jpg.5f977bd3b529aeb4a153a20df67815d0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My first Glastonbury was 1981, I was 16. Told my parents that me and my mate Llew were going camping for the weekend in Llangennith. No ticket, no tent, 1 x Bong, 1 x rucksack (containing bong)

Been most years 'cept a few in the mid -late nighties.

80s were great, I was young, but every single year is utterly precious.

glasto-poster81-450.jpg

Edited by bamber
  • Upvote 2

On 6/19/2024 at 12:15 AM, glasto-worker said:

so you missed out 85 - the first muddy glasto - the only time I have seen a  
tractor drag out people { not cars - actual people } who fell in the mud - others tried to help and they fell in the mud - I reckon there was 12 who grabbed that rope - sadly no photos - I owned a very expensive SLR and there was no way I would risk carrying it about that year. I survived 85 

Last year I went as a Punter was 87 {Weekend Tickets £21} but ever since then I have been a Volunteer so you will experience a lot more provided you get on site a few days before the gates open. 

lots of crew bars { see below } I cant make it this year {My building  and another { 400 flats in total } is being decommissioned so they are holding Housing Needs Assessments  interviews which may start in June so have to be here}

CREW-BAR_j4.thumb.jpg.5f977bd3b529aeb4a153a20df67815d0.jpg

Sorry you won't be there this year @glasto-worker

Hope everything goes OK and just glad to know you're still out there 😊

• Upvote 1

This year is my 20th anniversary. I believe it’s my 13th overall. 

2004 when I was 16 went with a mate and camped next to his parents - but I’m not sure we actually saw his parents properly for at least 4 days. 

Grew up in Holcombe (9 miles from the site) - it’s always strange as I seem to bump into so many old school friends etc who I’d never otherwise see! 

here’s to another great year 🙂

On 6/22/2024 at 10:31 AM, clarkete said:

Sorry you won't be there this year @glasto-worker

Hope everything goes OK and just glad to know you're still out there 😊

I Remember Back To The Phoenix Festival { Long Marston, Stratford-Upon-Avon } - think it was 1993 and 1994 { although it ran onto 1977 } the wbc loaned me out to Vince  {Mean Fiddler} to work in the ' Press and VIP entry office' but none of the wbc staff were told I had moved {as it did not concern them} anyway ## even although I was there and camping in the normal crew ground  a rumour went about between the Volunteers that I had died ## - I only found out at Reading festival that I was Dead !!! so miss one event { even if you are there } can lead to some strange rumours !!!

by Luck ' another thing right out the blue ' - from 17 June 24 to 14 July 24 
they have blocked my road up ' so the bus { going to the tube station } does not pass and is also diverted coming back as well so if it was not for 
the Housing Needs Assessments interviews I may have been forced to skip it this year anyway. so the Gods are saying ' your not going '

pints are £6.50 to £7 in the main large bars

Thanks for thinking about me - looks { at least at the start } to be like 2010 so hot - I prefer it when its cooler.

have a good one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

This year is my 16th...started going in 2004 - can't believe that's 20 years ago now!

Like @Avalon_Fields I regret not starting earlier...friends of mine started going in 1998 and for various reasons it was 6 years until I got myself there!

the first time all my crew decided to go to a "proper" festival was 1994.

(before that we'd been going to free festivals, raves, squat parties... etc...)

what happened was, there was a split in the group - half of us wanted to go to Glastonbury, and half wanted to go to Reading.

the reason i headed to Glastonbury was because of Levellers headlining and back then i was hardcore into them and that made the choice for me.

i wonder how the past 30 years would have looked for me if they hadn't been playing!

two work days to get through...... 😀

5 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I Remember Back To The Phoenix Festival { Long Marston, Stratford-Upon-Avon } - think it was 1993 and 1994 { although it ran onto 1977 } the wbc loaned me out to Vince  {Mean Fiddler} to work in the ' Press and VIP entry office' but none of the wbc staff were told I had moved {as it did not concern them} anyway ## even although I was there and camping in the normal crew ground  a rumour went about between the Volunteers that I had died ## - I only found out at Reading festival that I was Dead !!! so miss one event { even if you are there } can lead to some strange rumours !!!

by Luck ' another thing right out the blue ' - from 17 June 24 to 14 July 24 
they have blocked my road up ' so the bus { going to the tube station } does not pass and is also diverted coming back as well so if it was not for 
the Housing Needs Assessments interviews I may have been forced to skip it this year anyway. so the Gods are saying ' your not going '

pints are £6.50 to £7 in the main large bars

Thanks for thinking about me - looks { at least at the start } to be like 2010 so hot - I prefer it when its cooler.

have a good one.

Just looked at your tag on here, 1979 was your first?   Wow, I'm not sure if anyone else posts who goes back to the 70s, plus the extraordinary quantity of other events, amazing! 

Hope you're well 😊

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Just looked at your tag on here, 1979 was your first?   Wow, I'm not sure if anyone else posts who goes back to the 70s, plus the extraordinary quantity of other events, amazing! 

Hope you're well 😊

but I was not working at it so went as a Punter - 1979 was the first ' 3 day event ' I had never heard of it due to its 8 year gap and doubt I would have gone if it was not for the Half Moon Putney !!!!

About 6 to 8 weeks before it a booker for Glastonbury Fayre spoke to some 
mates who was playing at the Half Moon and wanted to book them - No fancy contract - not even a letter - the address was writing on a beer map ' and he signed it ' - a very rough map { showing the lane from Pilton } - we could not even find Pilton on a Map ' but he did mention - near Shepton Mallet - how we found it I just don't know - No signs pointing the correct way - No Stewards  - I was roped in as I could drive and owned a car { the others in a VW Camper } - so we grabbed a local ' and he sent us up the correct lane ' at the end was a ' garden shed ' { on the right } showed the beer map to the guy ' but he did not know the booker ' but as we could show musical instruments on the camper - he let all 8 of us in { without paying the £5 ticket price } we parked and camped at red dot { the same spot I used for the next 5 events } But after 1982 and 1985 { both wet years } all the rest just stopped going ## can you imagine trying to get in today with a beer map !!!! ##

Once CND got involved buying tickets was dead easy { I used to get them at CND HQ at old street } - still have my old tickets 

you have been to loads as well { over 30 }

I am still in touch with my old mob so hope to get a few down { on my team }
once I get this bloody move out the way.

have a good one 

1979-2.thumb.jpg.e1433648dd513f643f72b3cca0a816a1.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

but I was not working at it so went as a Punter - 1979 was the first ' 3 day event ' I had never heard of it due to its 8 year gap and doubt I would have gone if it was not for the Half Moon Putney !!!!

mates who was playing at the Half Moon and wanted to book them - No fancy contract - not even a letter - the address was writing on a beer map ' and he signed it ' - a very rough map { showing the lane from Pilton } - we could not even find Pilton on a Map ' but he did mention - near Shepton Mallet - how we found it I just don't know - No signs pointing the correct way - No Stewards  - I was roped in as I could drive and owned a car { the others in a VW Camper } - so we grabbed a local ' and he sent us up the correct lane ' at the end was a ' garden shed ' { on the right } showed the beer map to the guy ' but he did not know the booker ' but as we could show musical instruments on the camper - he let all 8 of us in { without paying the £5 ticket price } we parked and camped at red dot { the same spot I used for the next 5 events } But after 1982 and 1985 { both wet years } all the rest just stopped going ## can you imagine trying to get in today with a beer map !!!! ##

Once CND got involved buying tickets was dead easy { I used to get them at CND HQ at old street } - still have my old tickets 

have a good one 

A brilliant and evocative story pal,  good look with the move and help the ops in the past few years have left you in decent-ish health 🙂

6 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

have a good one 

In all my years stewarding I'm disappointed I've never encountered anyone trying this. 

So much more interesting than "me mates got me ticket, he's just inside".

18 hours ago, philipsteak said:

In all my years stewarding I'm disappointed I've never encountered anyone trying this. 

So much more interesting than "me mates got me ticket, he's just inside".

it was all very hectic ' at the Half Moon ' and the guy only approached them
 1/2 way though the night  ## and no one carried a sheet of paper ## + no one had a clue what Glastonbury Fayre was - if that guy had not mentioned  Shepton Mallet we would have been screwed.

I know they used the ' garden shed ' for years but each year ' the access signs got better but sometimes in the 80's they changed it { entry point } 

it is odd - I can find the paper tickets { from previous years } but I cant find any punter wrist bands apart from 83 to 87 { last year I went as a Punter } so I have to wonder if they even had wrists bands before 1983 - I could be wrong - its a bloody long time ago.  

0174_o.thumb.jpg.ebecb10ab0cdfeef06545d233caafc9b.jpg