There's nothing I want to see

Stu H

Genuinely.

For the first time in 10, I have no burning desire to see anything pre-planned, from a list of thousands of things!
Having zero pressure to try and make anything, or find a spot, or trek from one part of the site to another, is kinda glorious.

It'll be strange printing out a Clashfinder to not use it. To not have something I am clock-watching over because I need to get somewhere.

I assume I'm an outlier, but who knows?!

• Like 1

This would be lovely. There’s so many places I haven’t spent much time at. I think I’d really focus on the smaller stages and spend a bit more time in the nicer bars. 

Absolutely insane you haven’t got one act you want to see though. 

13 minutes ago, Stu H said:

Genuinely.

For the first time in 10, I have no burning desire to see anything pre-planned, from a list of thousands of things!
Having zero pressure to try and make anything, or find a spot, or trek from one part of the site to another, is kinda glorious.

It'll be strange printing out a Clashfinder to not use it. To not have something I am clock-watching over because I need to get somewhere.

To be honest there’s less this year we are desperate to see than usual, but still enough to have a few nasty clashes.  But like you, we’ve decided this year could be absolutely great being able to absorb the atmosphere, walk around without the pressure of having to get to a certain stage. Especially at night, so often we miss the nights because we’re at the headliner, hemmed in the crowd. A great sense of freedom. Just need good weather and it’s perfect😉😊

• Upvote 1

I’ve got a fairly full list of things I’d like to see but also I’m not very bothered if I miss most of them, which is nice. Maybe one real must see a day, which for me is different. Looking forward to being freer. Hope you enjoy your wandering! 

25 minutes ago, Stu H said:

Genuinely.

Nothing at all? Not even on the Electronica side? You still dj? There’s nothing I’d be gutted to miss really but loads of lovely little bits and pieces all over the place. 

Although I've absolutely rinsed the lineup and found plenty to get quite excited about this year, there's nothing that's completely unmissable.

I rate acts out of 10, and there are no 10s or 9s. Got 6 8/10s (Janelle, Simz, Fat Whites, PJ, Lankum & BC Camplight), but I've seen all of them before, and can't see 2 of them (Lankum & BC) because of the clash nightmare on Saturday early evening.

Another 6 are 7/10s, seen 2 of them before (Cat Empire & Billy Nomates), and I'm losing 2 more to clashes (Arooj Aftab & Sampha), so I'm left with 2 7/10 acts I haven't seen before (47soul and Noname).

There is loads of good stuff around, but I'm not as excited as I would've been about seeing a massive favourite act like QOTSA or Foo Fighters (seen them both before, but not for such a long time and missed out on tickets last year)

Anyway, it definitely feels like a bit of an odd year lineup wise to me on the main stages, but maybe I'm just not into as much of the modern rock/pop as the general glasto population. The Park used to be 100% my cuppa tea but seems so different genre-wise than it was ten years ago.

In a similar boat, there’s things i’d like to see, and know i’ll enjoy (all very “West Holts” 😂), but nothing unmissable.

Certainly no headliners i’ll be building my evening around on any nights…

1 hour ago, Miathedog said:

I’ve got a fairly full list of things I’d like to see but also I’m not very bothered if I miss most of them, which is nice. Maybe one real must see a day, which for me is different. Looking forward to being freer. Hope you enjoy your wandering! 

I'm similar.  I've a pretty full itinerary, but only 4-5 "must sees".  They're all acts I've never seen before and hadn't heard of until I Spotified the line up and none of them are in big slots.  I'm really happy with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hotfry said:

This would be lovely. There’s so many places I haven’t spent much time at. I think I’d really focus on the smaller stages and spend a bit more time in the nicer bars. 

Absolutely insane you haven’t got one act you want to see though. 

There are things that I know will be great; James, Seasick Steve, Paul Heaton, a few other things, but I've been fortunate enough to see them multiple times, so I am ambivalent about dashing to see them.

There's a few things I'd like to explore that I haven't before; Rimski's Yard, the new kids' stuff at Arcadia this year, a bit more of Strummerville, but I won't be stressing if I don't make them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Nothing at all? Not even on the Electronica side? You still dj? There’s nothing I’d be gutted to miss really but loads of lovely little bits and pieces all over the place. 

I went deaf last year (ironic!) so I don't do much dance music these days. Also am with the kids - might drag them to something livelier if I think they'll cope - I kinda think Orbital would be good fun!
Walking past Chem Bros DJ'ing at Arcadia last year was the first time in a long time that I've thought "wow, I'd love to be down the front there!".
I spend a lot of time in Theatre and Circus these days, just all the small stages and mad walkabouts.

I'm genuinely buzzing to have such a 'free' festival. Last time I had that, was probably my first, where I just explored a lot and stumbled on loads of amazing little things.

59 minutes ago, Stu H said:

I went deaf last year (ironic!) so I don't do much dance music these days. Also am with the kids - might drag them to something livelier if I think they'll cope - I kinda think Orbital would be good fun!
Walking past Chem Bros DJ'ing at Arcadia last year was the first time in a long time that I've thought "wow, I'd love to be down the front there!".
I spend a lot of time in Theatre and Circus these days, just all the small stages and mad walkabouts.

I'm genuinely buzzing to have such a 'free' festival. Last time I had that, was probably my first, where I just explored a lot and stumbled on loads of amazing little things.

ah sorry to hear that, I guess a price to pay for all the exposure over the years - I suffer with tinnitus myself and wear plugs these days. I remember you from Buckley’s parties (unless I’m mistaken) so we’ve both been at it for years now! 😂

I think the freedom also comes from being older and having been around the block a bit… there isn’t much generally I’m desperate to see that I haven’t already seen, probably more than once so I’m a lot more chilled. 

Hope you have a good one! 

• Upvote 1

only 2-3 acts for me too.  Most of my 16 glasto's have been meandering around and just stopping when I see something I like.

Think I have only ever watched 4 headliners on the pyramid in 16 years 

1 hour ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

I'm fighting clashes upon clashes this year from 12:30 to 05:00

There's nothing I want to miss

Im always like this too

its almost inevitable with circa 100 stages

but also its definitely great to have a wander and just come across something unexpected or new. If not, how would anyone have seen Mik Artistik, Lekkido, Paul Currie, Showhawk Duo, Wheel of four tunes, Das Brass etc etc the list goes on and on.

seek, or stumble! And ye shall find. its the magic of the place!

my go to, if i am at a loose end is generally sitting in the cabaret tent as there is usually something impressive and / or hilarious on! Amongst a few duds….

Edited by Memory Man

Sometimes it's no bad thing, I reckon.  In 2009 I went for the first time in years, and hadn't really put much thought into the lineup.  In the end I made some random farm friends I spent most of the festival with and just went with the flow with them, seeing acts I'd never heard of or just spending time in some far flung corner of the festival doing something different.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Normally I have several must-sees.

I am a big Frank Turner fan, so want to see him, but I also have tickets to see him in autumn, so even Frank isn't a must-see.  Would really like to see Paul Heaton and P J Harvey, but flippin' clashes.... If I am seeing Frank I can't see them.