Who’s going to steal the festival?

JNET012

7 hours ago, -TLR- said:

i can't really see anyone running away with it this year.

i dont think anyone will be talking about Dua / Coldplay / SZA... a week after the festival they'll be long forgotten.

it'll probably end up being someone on Jazz/World, or somewhere, someone i've never heard of and everyone will be damn did you see that!

Black Pumas could be a good shout from Jazz/World - no idea what they're like live though

Amongst people who went: I reckon confidence man and Barry can’t swim

you'll be asked about by people at work who watched it on the telly: let’s be honest probably Dua and Coldplay 

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

If they or Bob Vylan made it on the telly I could certainly see them being talked about, hopefully because they would wind up readers of the mail.

I think as soon as Bob Vylan get any kind of tv coverage they'll thrive on it, the front man has great charisma.  I get the feeling the leftfield gig in particular is going to be a hell of an event.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RandomBunny said:

Bar Steward Sons Of Val Doonican!

Hopefully not on shift, as looking forward to to see them back again.  Very good replacement to open Avalon as Hobo Jones and the Junkyard Dogs are sadly no more.  Bring your Gregg's bags.

23 minutes ago, buddiepaul said:

Hopefully not on shift, as looking forward to to see them back again.  Very good replacement to open Avalon as Hobo Jones and the Junkyard Dogs are sadly no more.  Bring your Gregg's bags.

Think I’m seeing these on recommendation but pretty blind what to expect 

My Prediction

Peggy Gou BBC will be all over her like a rash and will use their sublimimal messaging to say she nailed it (tiny crowd at stage  so dont expect any panoramic shots)

Fat Dog for the cool dudes, hipster event of the weekend where plenty of people who werent there will be saying they were in weeks after for the Kudos

Justice will actually be the steal the festival but only for the gazillions ofboots on the ground,  will get fek all  hype on the telly

Edited by cidermonkey
typo

3 hours ago, buddiepaul said:

They are the ideal choice as replacement aren't they?! 

16 minutes ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

Justice will be the one I feel, real Glastonbury vibe to close the festival.

They need to pump the field full of smoke like Bicep did with their smoke machines dotted throughout the crowd

if they dont ill just power mine up 🙂 

• Thanks 1

I think the ones that stick in my mind - and previously I've only watched from home - are the artists whose sets are obviously meaningful for them, those who obviously have a bit of a moment where they realise the experience they are living through is one that will stick with them for ever, and whose crowd then realises they've realised it, and some kind of weird electricity results. Watching last year's festival on TV, for example, I felt the festival thieves were Fred Again and Young Fathers, and perhaps also Rick Astley. Two of them played at the same time on Friday evening, and I think subbing is the perfect slot for this - everyone's a bit tired and emotional, the sunlight (if there is any) is golden, and everything (in a good year) looks wonderful. If I had to guess this year I'd say Nia Archives, who's having a bit of a moment and will have a huge crowd because of the Justice effect, and maybe Little Simz if she smashes it.

On 6/20/2024 at 8:40 AM, gigpusher said:

The act that steals the festival is by nature usually something unexpected and lower down. Janelle has done it before. Last year for me Young Fathers, CMAT and Rina were up there.

I reckon Janelle can do it again.... she's pure talent, yet still seems unpredictable, and also seems to love being there. 

Noticed in the TV listings that BBC have separate programmes in the run-up called 'My Glastonbury' for Dua Lipa, Coldplay and Little Simz. I get why SZA isn't making the cut, but the promotion of Little Simz instead has me hopeful she's going to be one of the big stories of the weekend and get a lot of well-deserved coverage.