Napping Strategies

Bike_Like_A_Mum

Ha, i'm getting old! I know I'm really gonna need those afternoon naps this year! My personal favourite spot is one of the hammocks. Doesn't usually take long for one to free-up. They're comfy... and still hearing the atmosphere around helps my fomo!

What do you do? Back to your tent? An intentional wander up the hill for a snooze? Or just wherever you land! Any funny sleeping stories...? I think I've told my story about the bloke rolling out of the yoga mat in the middle of a class many times. 🤣

Not exactly a strategy, but a couple of years ago at Womad on a really hot day I got a bit of sunstroke. I think it might also have been the day after a night shift (stewarding) so that also added to it. We went into the Siam tent where there were some drummers playing (I want to say Ethiopian, but really not sure on that). I lay down at the back to gather myself for a bit. Ended up lying for the whole time they were on probably about an hour. I got in to the strangest state, like I was in a trance. Never experienced anything like it before or since. I basically jumped up when they finished, with SO much energy, it was like the drumming had got into me.

I felt absolutely incredible for the rest of the day.

• Upvote 2

I only nap when I've overdone it on the sauce and I have to have a bit of a lie down before I'm a dirty mess and falling down, for me anywhere I'm not a trip hazard is fine. 

In really hot years I'll escape to some shade for a bit and just watch the world go by in the heat of the day, Cabaret, T&C, The park, Greenfields are all nice enough locations to just sit in the shade with a spliff for half an hour or so. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ripcurl85 said:

Usually some up in the Park area from memory.

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

And some in Silver Hayes 

Thanks, will keep an eye out. They are in the shade, right? 😂

The yoga tents in the greenfields are a magnificent place for a nap if it’s after about 5pm. Some unused circus tents in the evenings too. I’ve got a fair few spots I’ve had a little twenty mins in, I absolutely love daytime nappage  

5 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Strummerville

Yes, nab one of those old sofas in the shade of strummerville. A few beers followed by a bit of shut eye. That’s a dream unfortunately, it’s usually too busy for that! 
but it’s still one of my favourite spots on the farm

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes, nab one of those old sofas in the shade of strummerville. A few beers followed by a bit of shut eye. That’s a dream unfortunately, it’s usually too busy for that! 
but it’s still one of my favourite spots on the farm

Perfect place to chill when u need a little break from the madness 😎

A few times I've had my napping disturbed by stewards doing welfare checks. Need to get an "I aintn't dead" sign.

Memorable naps include a leather armchair in the Tow & Hitch. Did not want to move. Similar last year on a seemingly abandoned comfy cushioned couch near the cider bus on the Monday. Again didn't want to move. Didn't leave site until very late afternoon.

12 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

A few times I've had my napping disturbed by stewards doing welfare checks. Need to get an "I aintn't dead" sign.

Memorable naps include a leather armchair in the Tow & Hitch. Did not want to move. Similar last year on a seemingly abandoned comfy cushioned couch near the cider bus on the Monday. Again didn't want to move. Didn't leave site until very late afternoon.

From punters too. Particularly at Bootown. People are really good at checking on each other there

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Just go back to tent for me … fresh and black is great for that … only issue is that sometimes quick naps have been a bit longer than planned . Must set the alarm next time 

Don't nap at ''home'', its too comfortable

Nap elsewhere and a small part of your brain will be awake