Napping Strategies

Bike_Like_A_Mum

24 minutes ago, A Particular Grey Chihuahu said:

I'm planning to sleep 5-10am. Is that a decent plan?

depending on a number of factors, if you have a fresh and black tent you should be ok otherwise it will depend on your sun / heat tolerance, I'm good in the morning but struggle past 9 / 9:30, unless the weather is s*#t but it wont be this year..........

Eye masks are essential 

Edited by donthaveacoolname
  • Thanks 1

I don't normally need to nap during the day but I had a nice kip on Sunday a few years ago when Low were playing John Peel, I just lay down on the grass in the tent listening to them and drifted off - it was lovely.

There was another time I got sunstroke on the Wednesday when it was roasting hot and slept in the Avalon Stage tent in the afternoon too.

I'm not normally a napper but in 2013 I had a little lie down outside tent before Rolling Stones. Put a golf brolly over my head but didnt think about the crochet waistband on my dress and woke up with a very floral tan

Last time I went in 2022 we stayed at Sticklinch and it was too far to walk back to the tent so found a shady spot outside the Astrolabe tent and fell asleep for a bit. Woke up just in time to see Mik Artistik on the riser stage. 😀 

I actually all but fell asleep at Fontaines DC in 2022, right there on the grass. I was looking forward to them, and still really enjoyed them. But laying there at the back, with my eyes closed, energy zapped, listening and just soaking in the atmosphere whilst recharging was incredible. I can highly recommend it as a way to recharge without missing out. (Obviously not something to attempt in the pit!!!) 

I turned up at the Avalon Stage once to photograph Hazel O'Connor from the pit - it was a very hot year (2010 maybe). The long grass in the dark of the tent at the side of the stage was quite cool so I took the opportunity to have a little ol lie down while I waited for Hazel to take to the stage. I woke up to hear her saying 'goodnight glastonbury!'

Last year, Raye had a TBA set at BBC Introducing on Saturday afternoon.

It has been a long stretch and I wanted to be out of the sun for a bit, so I set down in the middle of the tent with my back against the main tent pole.
Her opening number (can't remember what is was) was so relaxing it put me right out and I didn't wake up until she was nearly finished.

Edited by Mike A

Going back 15 to 20 years ago, if I overdid it early in the day, then I'd crash face down on the guardian and/or bag  in front of the pyramid.

Short time later open eyes and see friends who were sitting are now standing watching whoever is on. 

14 hours ago, goldfishboy said:

pilton palais is a great spot for a lie-down when it's scorchio outside

Agreed. The last half dozen or so festivals I've taken the kid (kids, last couple of festivals) to watch a film just so I could lay down and have a kip. I slept all the way through Jurassic World a couple of years ago, laid down and conked out at the opening credits and opened my eyes again when the lights came up a couple of hours later. Bliss!

Just reading these has got me all calm and good vibes. It's actually reduced some of my anxiety about the fact that I'm not in the best state of wellness to go full pelt this year. But you're right...it's a blissful feeling to enjoy the festival in a more laid back way at times. Embrace the nap! 😊

• Like 1