Primary School Bangers

eatingglitter

16 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

Went twice! Amazing! The guy just seemed such a nice bloke and made it very funny.

He was fantastic!  Would have seen him more than once if he hadn't clashed with other stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, eatingglitter said:

I’m sooooo glad everybody enjoyed this! It was so much fun screaming out shine Jesus shine. 😊

As someone who used to be a born-againer, and sang that song earnestly in church, but left primary school before it infiltrated into the school system, it was utterly surreal to see people belting it out as a kind of retro anthem. Weirdest moment of the festival for me! 

Yes same @kalifire I had a religious liberal CofE upbringing and so it was really strange - I couldnt work out if this was really some sort of clever evangelical extension or whether the audience is so far removed from the religious aspect that it doesnt matter.

There probably is a correlation here with some world music that other cleverer people can unpick. 

I enjoyed it though.

4 minutes ago, WhoOdyssey said:

The whole thing is. At least, that's my impression. 

Yes that's all well and good but when you have  a lot of people singing religious songs with fervour, hands up then at some point the irony disappears. Whats the difference? 

Glastonbury this is our church indeed.

I didn't see this, I wasn't there, but have I got it right, this is people singing religious songs from school assemblies? Man, that's really creepy.

6 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I didn't see this, I wasn't there, but have I got it right, this is people singing religious songs from school assemblies? Man, that's really creepy.

I don't think it is any more creepy than the Hare Krishnas tbh. Its just religious music. I'm intrigued though by what's going on there in the mind of the non religious enjoyer iyswim. I'm also interested in young people have lost the intrinsic response to christianity that our generation had - especially with the rise of footballers religion etc. That would be my experience.

Recognising that primary school assembly bangers may not be the crucible (if thats the right word) for this sort of chat though. 

2 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I don't think it is any more creepy than the Hare Krishnas tbh. Its just religious music. I'm intrigued though by what's going on there in the mind of the non religious enjoyer iyswim. I'm also interested in young people have lost the intrinsic response to christianity that our generation had - especially with the rise of footballers religion etc. That would be my experience.

Recognising that primary school assembly bangers may not be the crucible (if thats the right word) for this sort of chat though. 

It's fascinating, yes. I guess there's an element of familiarity/nostalgia outweighing any active consideration of the words and meaning of the songs. It's more like 'I know this song, and that trumps all other considerations'? I'd definitely like to see it, or at least watch the crowd when it's on. It's the ultimate in music as a comforter. Not even 'I like this because it reminds me of being 18, not balding, not tubby and not saddled with a mortgage etc', more 'I like this because it reminds me of being six and my life was full of pretending to be spiderman and watching Rentaghost'

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

The appetite for nostalgia has gotten so bad that people are now assembling in their hundreds to sing songs they hated when they were kids.  

Put him on the West Holts next year.

TBF 'Shine, Jesus shine' is a banger. They have to be don't they? Part of the purpose. 

Isnt the nostalgia for that sheer enjoyment of singing rather than the songs themselves or the time they were sung in? Plus the 30s and below have lost the embarrassment factor of having to be cool all the time. Weirdos.

Having caught a bit of this, I would say that we were much more drawn in by the "primary school disco" section which featured singalongs to S Club 7 and Shaggy. The school hymns were just a section of it.

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

Weird as…

And slightly sinister 

Hopefully done with huge amount of irony 

There's no amount of irony that could make this even tolerable.

Just now, mouserat said:

Having caught a bit of this, I would say that we were much more drawn in by the "primary school disco" section which featured singalongs to S Club 7 and Shaggy. The school hymns were just a section of it.

Or is it the other way round? That S Club & and Shaggy are the gateway drug and before you know it you're kumbayaing.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Yea extremely so 

14 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Plus the 30s and below have lost the embarrassment factor of having to be cool all the time. Weirdos.

Damn right, there's not enough shame around these days. Never mind conscription, what young people really need is a crippling sense of constant mortification about what they might have said/done. 

• Upvote 1