Primary School Bangers

eatingglitter

3 hours ago, Mardy said:

Damn right, there's not enough shame around these days. Never mind conscription, what young people really need is a crippling sense of constant mortification about what they might have said/done. 

Healing Fields could probably improve footfall from our demographic if all they offered was back massages for sciatica and an opportunity to talk about the time your barber absolutely f**ked up the undercut on your curtains and sent you to school looking like Dwayne Dibley.

I imagine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mardy said:

I didn't see this, I wasn't there, but have I got it right, this is people singing religious songs from school assemblies? Man, that's really creepy.

To be fair, it did kind of stray a bit when we were singing gin gang goolly goolly goolly whatsit gin gang goo, gin gang goo. It's basically a comedian who has come up with an utterly daft nostalgia bollocks singalong. It is an amusing half hour. 

I walked past this act and remember thinking, "well, if this is what these people want to do with their time at Glastonbury I suppose it's up to them..."

But seriously, you paid 400 quid for your ticket!

I didn't expect this to be so divisive. I didn't go but took it at face value as a quick fun nostalgia trip and nothing more. Don't think it would be the thing that subverts adults into Christianity, especially if it didn't work when you were 6. Anyhow, totally agree there would almost always be something more fun going on but would look in for 10 mins if I was passing by

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

There's far more weird/dodgy/exploitative stuff going on in the Healing Fields.

This is definitely true, especially the exploitative stuff 

Don’t know how some of it’s allowed 

Look, I'll level with you all. It was distressing, changed my opinion of the festival and one of the worst things I've ever experienced.

Less about Coldplay, tho.

As your friendly neighbourhood Paddy, PSB's came across as a silly bit of eccentric English ephemera.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm not religious at all, but I love a bit of nostalgia, and hymn practice was always fun at my school, so I loved Primary School Assembly Bangers, and would have gone a second time over the weekend if it hadn't been for clashes!  The set was firmly tongue-in-cheek, and just a bit of fun. 

And the fact that many of these hymns have been adopted by football crowds over the decades (with the lyrics changed of course!) speaks volumes for the strength of those joyous melodies.

Haha! Omg this got wild. Personally, for me, I just liked shouting NAKED and just made a nice change from singing Mr Brightside in a crowd. The people we stood with in the crowd were all giggling about standing on benches in Year 6 and how we never ever ever got to use the sports equipment that pulled in the hall.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Maybe it depends how your school years went, and I'm sure people enjoyed it, but it sounds like the stuff of nightmares to me.

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Id rather backstoke through the longdrops in the SE Corner on a Saturday night.

Yea 

Weird as….

15 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Id rather backstroke through the longdrops in the SE Corner on a Saturday night.

Woah now, even weirder than I thought. That's some proper cult like sh*t. 

Also, enough with the middle class white people being all ironic with music, that posh c**t from a few years back who did rapping/rave stuff at the 'Gentleman Rhymer' or whatever. Scum.

" made a nice change from singing Mr Brightside in a crowd."

Are those the options? You know, sometime I regret my life choices. Other times, not so much.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It might be my fault @O'Doyle Rules for which I apologise, profusely, with added bowing and scraping. Just to be clear I quite enjoyed it in a bizarre way. I was just wondering if I was experiencing the same cognitive weirdness as other religions do when they see a load of white people chanting etc at the Hare Krishnas.

I could sum this up as 'When is it entertainment, when is it worship'? But maybe this isnt a question confined to Primary School Bangers. I probably witnessed the same thing at Stray Kids on Sunday. Has mainstream entertainment replaced religion as the opium of the people with much of the same rituals and outcomes or was it always religion aping the already existing cultural practices to become more popular.

<wanders off in full chuntering thoughtful mode>

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

Woah now, even weirder than I thought. That's some proper cult like sh*t. 

Also, enough with the middle class white people being all ironic with music, that posh c**t from a few years back who did rapping/rave stuff at the 'Gentleman Rhymer' or whatever. Scum.

" made a nice change from singing Mr Brightside in a crowd."

Are those the options? You know, sometime I regret my life choices. Other times, not so much.

It get even weirder, from about 1 min 20

We're only a congressman's visit away from this

12 minutes ago, The Nal said:

We're only a congressman's visit away from this

Hey Nal, fancy setting up a stall beside them to flog some Kool Aid next year?

Say, Oh Yeah! to visiting the Kool-Aid Museum - PullOverAndLetMeOut.Com

Edited by Mardy
fat fingers
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1