Stay safe, don’t take unnecessary risks

theciderviking

Festival season is once more upon us. Like so many others I can’t wait to get in those fields and party! 🥳

I caveat this by saying that the terms and conditions of entry prohibit drugs, and the law applies inside the fence in the same way as it does outside, whatever any of our personal views may be on it. Similarly if replying to this thread, please follow the rules of the forum. 

But, serious message time, please stay safe. It’s no secret that people indulge in things at festivals that they may not in the “real world”, people will experiment and often those doing so will also be drinking more than at other times too, which may impair their judgement and lead to taking risks unnecessarily.

I’m the last person to judge anybody for having a good time, and have my own views on the legal and societal attitudes to drugs - I won’t bore everybody now, but I’m always happy to discuss. 

If you are going to use drugs, please take all steps possible to minimise the risk of harm and stay as safe as you can. Taking anything carries risks, but taking something when you aren’t 100% certain it is what you think it is (or even haven’t a clue what it is!) increases those risks exponentially, and can and does lead to death. The only guaranteed safe way, of course, is not to take anything at all. 

Never take something from somebody you don’t know, never buy something from a stranger inside a festival. If you are taking something, ensure it’s been tested and it is what you think, so you’ve a reasonable idea of the effects it will have on your body and mind. Front of house drug testing could save lives, but alas it’s banned in the UK. This must change. In the meantime, back of house testing often results in urgent safety messages being shared with festival goers where dangerous substances are identified - please look out for these and follow them. 

Mixing drugs increase those risks even further, and the risks become immeasurably high when you’re mixing things without knowing what they are. Some drug interactions can be deadly. Drugs can and so also interact with prescription medication. Alcohol can also interact with other substances and cause unexpected and dangerous results.

This chart is a quick reference guide only, but gives an indication of dangerous interactions.

Stay safe, and if you need help then ask for it. Professional support is available at all festivals, without judgement. Friends, please look out for one another. And if any of my friends ever need help, or even anybody I’ve never met, I’m here. If you need medical assistance, seek it out and tell whoever is treating you what you think you have taken, they will not judge but it may be crucial in getting you the help you need as quickly as possible.

Stay safe. Festivals are places of unbridled joy. Nobody should ever go to party and not make it back home again.

IMG_4119.thumb.jpeg.255834de4334380bf8ad510e64c9b995.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 13

It is possible that this post could be, for some, the most important post they'll have read before Glastonbury, any other festival, any other event or non event, where such substances might be taken - if indeed they are those substances in the first place.

Incidentally I think that I once knew one of the people who set up that informational cross referencing (etc) website. He, along with one or two others, certainly set up the first global drug cross referencing site in that manner. I recall being very impressed with their website at that time and also their dedication to maintaining it etc, so that the 'world' had the information that they knew. 

Here's to you

image.png
  • Like 1

I don't really have much to say... Those days are long gone for me, but I just wanted to bump this post and keep it near the top as it's fantastic advice, and I wish this kind of thing was around when I was younger.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IFinallyGotATicket said:

Why caution for cannabis and LSD 

I’m not qualified to comment in any meaningful way, but would expect it’s because the interaction between the two can intensify the effects, of one or the other (or both). If somebody is expecting a particular effect, and that’s amplified or they experience something entirely different as a result of mixing with other substances - that could be a very positive experience, or a very negative one that could cause distress or lead to a dangerous situation.

It’s obviously on each individual to make their own choices, but hopefully information like this can help inform those choices. 

11 minutes ago, IFinallyGotATicket said:

A bit of dull question to be honest.  Some of the newer Cannabis is far from ok .. super strong high levels of THC can have some really bad reactions for some 😉 . I personally ended up in welfare one year with “the fear”, which didn’t go well. 

• Upvote 1

I’d just like to share, on a very sad note, tomorrow I will be attending my 21 year old cousins funeral who passed away a few weeks ago. Our family is shocked and broken. 

His mother found him. 

Please think twice before taking anything. 

6 hours ago, mrfunk said:

A bit of dull question to be honest.  Some of the newer Cannabis is far from ok .. super strong high levels of THC can have some really bad reactions for some 😉 . I personally ended up in welfare one year with “the fear”, which didn’t go well. 

except the weed in the uk is trash. But still, buyer beware.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

except the weed in the uk is trash. But still, buyer beware.

Even home grown is addictive AF. We grew our own thinking it was better than buying it. Which I suppose it is because we knew it was clean. But still incredibly harmful. 

I’ve finally been clean from green for 3 months after using it for 15 years. So glad to be free from it. 

I would never had admitted how addictive it was whilst in the depths of addiction though. I used to believe it was healing me.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

Even home grown is addictive AF. We grew our own thinking it was better than buying it. Which I suppose it is because we knew it was clean. But still incredibly harmful. 

I’ve finally been clean from green for 3 months after using it for 15 years. So glad to be free from it. 

I would never had admitted how addictive it was whilst in the depths of addiction though. I used to believe it was healing me.

Thats great. Im sure everyone would be better off  if they had some California grown stuff over there. But yeah, its getting laced now and people dont want to test their stuff.

17 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

I’d just like to share, on a very sad note, tomorrow I will be attending my 21 year old cousins funeral who passed away a few weeks ago. Our family is shocked and broken. 

His mother found him. 

I’m so very sorry to hear this, and cannot imagine for a second what you and your family are going through right now. 😔

The only safe way is absolutely not to take anything at all. Please don’t view this as promotion of drug use.

However, despite tragic stories like this, people will. Better education around risk and harm prevention could save so many lives, and it’s something that as a society we absolutely need to get better at. 

7 hours ago, IFinallyGotATicket said:

Have you ever had a bad trip P? I have when I was a young lad, and I can only imagine how much worse that would be by throwing a joint of todays laced, strong green into the mix.

That would be a nightmare to not tell the grandkids about 😩

2 hours ago, cb4747 said:

His mother found him. 

Sorry to hear that mate. Condolences

Really sorry to hear about your cousin cb4747, incredibly sad. 

It’s such a shame front of house testing isn’t allowed, drug deaths have increased massively in recent years as has the strength of pills.  If people do choose to use drugs they should have the information they need to stay safe. The loop have some great advice on their website. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pipine said:

It’s such a shame front of house testing isn’t allowed, drug deaths have increased massively in recent years as has the strength of pills. 

If anyone is taking MDMA, pill or powder form, start with a small dose and remember it can take up to 2 hours to come on.

• Upvote 1

On 6/23/2024 at 10:41 PM, theciderviking said:

Mixing drugs increase those risks even further, and the risks become immeasurably high when you’re mixing things without knowing what they are. Some drug interactions can be deadly. Drugs can and so also interact with prescription medication. Alcohol can also interact with other substances and cause unexpected and dangerous results.

Don't really have anything to add, but just wanted to quote this paragraph for extra visibility, because it's really f**king important.

• Like 1

One of my ex's friends died at a festival by choking on her tongue after too much ketamine. Died in her tent while her friends slept just metres away. 

Moderation is key imo. Don't go guns blazing on anything across the weekend, even the booze. You'll have a much better time if you treat it like a marathon and not a a sprint. 

Don't try something you've never tried before if you don't know how it will affect you personally and do your best to look after each other! Last time I went I had a rough time due to too much psychedelics at one point and both randoms and my friends rallied around me and it was actually very reassuring to know there are so many good people ay Glastonbury. 

Have fun but remember you only get one body, don't abuse it!

• Like 1

On 6/24/2024 at 6:37 AM, Suprefan said:

Thats great. Im sure everyone would be better off  if they had some California grown stuff over there. But yeah, its getting laced now and people dont want to test their stuff.

Laced with what exactly?