Not up to it?

Beaver89

Does anyone else just not feel up to it this time?

I'm sure the moment I join the queue to get in and pitch up all the adrenaline will kick in and I'll be back to it but I'm having doubts. I've had a manic busy and stressful year involving eviction, first home purchase, full renovation of said home which is still ongoing, work has continued to be work, and I've put on a fair bit of weight due to the turmoil and lack of regular routine (I'm the least fit I've ever been for a fest). It may just be a little burn out and the festival is what i need to refresh but I don't know... the idea of the endurance involved in the next week is filling me with a bit of dread.

It will be fine, I know it will, just... ya know...

• Like 1

Sounds like you've successfully overcome quite a stressful year, so for starters that's something to be proud of yourself for, well done. As for the weight, come join us, we're walking a couple of marathons over the next few days, and laughing hysterically all the way!

If it seems like an overwhelming endurance then maybe its time to change how you go about the whole thing. Take your time, enjoy the smaller simpler things that the festival offers, there's no rush. You sound perfect for Glasto, its made for people like you, its a huge release valve for the pressures of our lives.

No, you're not the only one, thousands have doubts every year but by next Monday those doubts have turned into great memories that will never be lost.

Have fun mate, you deserve it.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Yep. Just about to leave. Got "what have I forgotten to pack" anxiety. Left everything to literally the last minute. Had about two hours sleep if I'm lucky.

Also in the "it's been a stressful few years" situation.

Didn't take my A game last time and and I'm volunteering this year so it may very well kill me.

6 hours ago, Beaver89 said:

I'm sure the moment I join the queue to get in and pitch up all the adrenaline will kick in and I'll be back to it but I'm having doubts. I've had a manic busy and stressful year involving eviction, first home purchase, full renovation of said home which is still ongoing, work has continued to be work, and I've put on a fair bit of weight due to the turmoil and lack of regular routine (I'm the least fit I've ever been for a fest). It may just be a little burn out and the festival is what i need to refresh but I don't know... the idea of the endurance involved in the next week is filling me with a bit of dread.

Completely understand.  I had a bit of a meltdown at last year's festival as unbeknown to me at the time, I was about to fall into one of the worst periods of chronic depression of my life, which lasted 6 months.  I don't know if the festival itself was part of the trigger, but I suspect I was dropping down the hole anyway.  I wasn't even going to try for tickets for this year as I was in therapy/off work/on antidepressants and in bad shape by October but my team included me anyway.

The first half of this year I've recovered quite well and feel more like myself again.  I am however apprehensive about the coming 5 days.  I'm also overweight, unfit and physically about as bad as I've ever been so feel slightly daunted.  I have however resolved to go, have a good time and enjoy spending time with my friends.  If I get overwhelmed in a busy crowd, I'll go somewhere quiet.  If I feel too tired to do something, I won't do it.  If I'm feeling totally frazzled, I'll go to a quiet space or one of the mental health assistance tents.  What I won't do is blame myself for my depression and start to self-loathe, like I've done in the past.

We can do this.  And it will be worth it. ❤️

• Upvote 6

I'm super excited but I've not been for 8 years as we've been doing Primavera instead and the reality of a camping festival is starting to sink in. I also had a c section 6 months ago so lost a lot of my core strength and am bringing the baby so not sure I know what I'm in for! Approaching with a very chilled plan in mind

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sophlamb said:

I'm super excited but I've not been for 8 years as we've been doing Primavera instead and the reality of a camping festival is starting to sink in. I also had a c section 6 months ago so lost a lot of my core strength and am bringing the baby so not sure I know what I'm in for! Approaching with a very chilled plan in mind

I would love to hear how you get on with a baby! The prospect of taking an 11 month old is currently being considered for next year. 

I hope you have the best time!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Beaver89 said:

Really sorry you feel that way!  Like you say, you won't know how you're going to feel until you're there.  You've obviously been loads of times, so maybe you'll just enjoy it in a different way to other years - and that's totally ok!  Sounds like the break will be a positive thing for you though.

In a completely different way, I struggled a bit in the heat last year - had to disappear to the Circus Tent to recuperate for a while on Saturday afternoon, and go back to my tent straight after Guns n' Roses that night. Then took it easy again on the Sunday - at which point I could barely walk!  Felt like I hadn't made the most of the festival, which made me feel a bit sad... but I know I made the best of it, and still had a great time in many ways.

This is exactly the kind of anxiety I had before 2022.  I'd barely moved from in front of a screen for 3 years, had put on weight and was totally out of shape.  I kind of feel the same way this year, but in 2022 I absolutely coasted through it like a champ, so I'm not letting it get to me this time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

If I get overwhelmed in a busy crowd, I'll go somewhere quiet.  If I feel too tired to do something, I won't do it.  If I'm feeling totally frazzled, I'll go to a quiet space or one of the mental health assistance tents.  What I won't do is blame myself for my depression and start to self-loathe, like I've done in the past.

This is some of the best advice ever.  So important to "do" Glastonbury in your own way.

I'm a little "unconventional" and during my first Glasto all I could see was groups of people enjoying the festival in a similar particular way - it made me feel that I was missing out.  Now I know that that's just "not for me" anyway, and I enjoy it in my own way.

You guys are all the best. Thank you! I got the shot of excitement waking up this morning as I head West today. It will all be ok, will just take it easier. One of our crew is pregnant for this year's festival so it will be more sedate in some ways anyway. The joy of getting older! At least the weather gods seem to be playing nicely so far...

Thanks again for all the kind words. All of us in the thread that feel these apprehensions will be just fine. Even in those downtime moments we can just enjoy being in the space and rev up for the next discovery. Love to all - see you tomorrow! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Completely understand.  I had a bit of a meltdown at last year's festival as unbeknown to me at the time, I was about to fall into one of the worst periods of chronic depression of my life, which lasted 6 months.  I don't know if the festival itself was part of the trigger, but I suspect I was dropping down the hole anyway.  I wasn't even going to try for tickets for this year as I was in therapy/off work/on antidepressants and in bad shape by October but my team included me anyway.

The first half of this year I've recovered quite well and feel more like myself again.  I am however apprehensive about the coming 5 days.  I'm also overweight, unfit and physically about as bad as I've ever been so feel slightly daunted.  I have however resolved to go, have a good time and enjoy spending time with my friends.  If I get overwhelmed in a busy crowd, I'll go somewhere quiet.  If I feel too tired to do something, I won't do it.  If I'm feeling totally frazzled, I'll go to a quiet space or one of the mental health assistance tents.  What I won't do is blame myself for my depression and start to self-loathe, like I've done in the past.

We can do this.  And it will be worth it. ❤️

Oh I feel you mate. I burned out in 21/22 taking 6 weeks off work in April 22 to recover. Then landed at the festival, hubristically made a lot of mistakes on that boiling hot Wednesday resulting in a serious hangover and sunburn and then got food poisoning off a nacho place just before Kendrick which made getting off site ...interesting. I was still very much in recovery from burn out at that time. Sounds like you have pulled through a lot of it with just that long tail from 90 to 100 to go so fairly similar to me in 22. I reckon it'll be the best medicine and give your recovery a boost to be on the farm for a bit in that positive, distracting environment. Sounds like you have a plan too if it gets too much. Take care and have a riot! Not long now!

1 hour ago, CR77 said:

This is some of the best advice ever.  So important to "do" Glastonbury in your own way.

I'm a little "unconventional" and during my first Glasto all I could see was groups of people enjoying the festival in a similar particular way - it made me feel that I was missing out.  Now I know that that's just "not for me" anyway, and I enjoy it in my own way.

Oh I just couldn't enjoy the festival in the way you observed. I learned a long time ago to do it my way. Everyone should.

The excitement is starting to set in. Not long now!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

Oh I feel you mate. I burned out in 21/22 taking 6 weeks off work in April 22 to recover. Then landed at the festival, hubristically made a lot of mistakes on that boiling hot Wednesday resulting in a serious hangover and sunburn and then got food poisoning off a nacho place just before Kendrick which made getting off site ...interesting. I was still very much in recovery from burn out at that time. Sounds like you have pulled through a lot of it with just that long tail from 90 to 100 to go so fairly similar to me in 22. I reckon it'll be the best medicine and give your recovery a boost to be on the farm for a bit in that positive, distracting environment. Sounds like you have a plan too if it gets too much. Take care and have a riot! Not long now!

Thanks Man.  You too!

• Like 1

This is quite refreshing to see because I feel in a similar boat. I'm very very thankful I get to go to paradise tomorrow. But I'm so worried I won't be able to handle it anymore. I'm 3 stone heavier than I was the last time I went in 2019.

My back and feet were destroyed just from 2 days at isle of wight. I'm worried I'll get too tired too quick and miss out on a bunch of stuff - letting down the other two people I'm going with, in which it's their first time.

So I've spent the last two days a ball of anxiety.

Though as others have said, I'm sure once I get there it'll all disappear once the tent is set up. 

1 hour ago, PaintedInSand said:

This is quite refreshing to see because I feel in a similar boat. I'm very very thankful I get to go to paradise tomorrow. But I'm so worried I won't be able to handle it anymore. I'm 3 stone heavier than I was the last time I went in 2019.

My back and feet were destroyed just from 2 days at isle of wight. I'm worried I'll get too tired too quick and miss out on a bunch of stuff - letting down the other two people I'm going with, in which it's their first time.

So I've spent the last two days a ball of anxiety.

Though as others have said, I'm sure once I get there it'll all disappear once the tent is set up. 

I’d say you do your festival and let them do theirs. 
Dont put pressure on yourself to show them everything. There’s a wonder about discovering things yourself, they might discover things that you haven’t. 
That frees you up to do the festival how you want to do it and you can take breaks when it suits you and not feel pressured 

• Thanks 1

Sorry to read people feel this way but it's kind of reassuring to read as I feel similar. For me I think it's a mixture of things that have increased my general anxiety levels (work, health, relationships etc). I have also struggled with anxiety on and off for a long time.

For me I think the festival will be an opportunity to refresh and reset, enjoy great music and soak in the festival atmosphere.

I am anxious about it but I think once I get there and the tent is up then I'll feel much better 🙂

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Beaver89 said:

Very much similar. Had a fairly bad breakup of a 7 year relationship. Moved homes. Job is really getting me down. Been abso burnt out to the point I visited the GP a couple weeks back. Bloods all fine so maybe it is genuinely just burnout. Either way been so fatigued I'm not sure I will enjoy but I've gone through the motions and packed everything ready. Just feels a bit auto pilot currently. Hopefully being on site will change things. No words of advice sorry but you're not alone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, monday said:

Very much similar. Had a fairly bad breakup of a 7 year relationship. Moved homes. Job is really getting me down. Been abso burnt out to the point I visited the GP a couple weeks back. Bloods all fine so maybe it is genuinely just burnout. Either way been so fatigued I'm not sure I will enjoy but I've gone through the motions and packed everything ready. Just feels a bit auto pilot currently. Hopefully being on site will change things. No words of advice sorry but you're not alone.

I forgot to say in the post about my burnout in 22 it was the best thing. Keep going through the motions and once you get there you’ll find it is the perfect distraction for a few days and a weird kind of recovery aid. Have a great one!

• Like 1