Site quieter?

CaledonianGonzo

So some people are saying it’s ridiculously busy and others saying it’s very quiet. There are less people on site by all accounts but with the pyramid stage line up not being great people are probably spread more across different areas of the site making it seem busier in general. Looking at the pyramid on the tv the field does look very empty for a lot of sets 

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Anyway, anyone who think that this is busier than last year or 2022 is off their chump.

Not there this year, but was last year and it was horrific almost everywhere across the site. 
Last year was my first festival since 2017 and the difference between those two crowds was chalk and cheese both in terms of sheer numbers and indeed demographic tbh.

Still don’t know where we go from here. Starting to think those saying we need a wet festival are spot on. Something needs to happen to put off the ‘day trippers’..

I'm not attending this year. I was however considering a bunk in and hooked up with a whatsapp group of similarly minded people. The overwhelming impression I got was that it was near impossible to break in this year. The security systems seemed very difficult to foil and the opportunities for spin-ins were non existent. I'm not sure of the scale of bunk-ins in previous years, but could this have an impact?

4 minutes ago, Gashead86 said:

Not there this year, but was last year and it was horrific almost everywhere across the site. 
Last year was my first festival since 2017 and the difference between those two crowds was chalk and cheese both in terms of sheer numbers and indeed demographic tbh.

Still don’t know where we go from here. Starting to think those saying we need a wet festival are spot on. Something needs to happen to put off the ‘day trippers’..

To save the village we must destroy the village 

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

I'm not attending this year. I was however considering a bunk in and hooked up with a whatsapp group of similarly minded people. The overwhelming impression I got was that it was near impossible to break in this year. The security systems seemed very difficult to foil and the opportunities for spin-ins were non existent. I'm not sure of the scale of bunk-ins in previous years, but could this have an impact?

I think this is exactly it.

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

Had heard this from a few people…. I know a few people who absolutely always get on the farm, ticket or not and it appears based on their instagrams they haven’t made it in this year….

Spent most of the day at Woodsies yesterday - from Kneecap up to Kasabian. Never done a run at a single stage like that. Quite enjoyed it - felt like I was at a nice little mini festival until the masses arrived for Kasabian. 

Happy to do the same for Newdad through to Alvvays today. 

47 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

A site that is quieter overall can still have areas that are very busy.

I think it has mostly felt alright barring a few very predictable slots where acts were booked too low or on the wrong stage (Barry/Sugababes).

Bigger issue that I can't see an answer too is that once the headliners are done there's too much interest in the same big name DJs. Need to find a way to spread that audience out more.

2 hours ago, Fred Zepplin said:

So some people are saying it’s ridiculously busy and others saying it’s very quiet. There are less people on site by all accounts but with the pyramid stage line up not being great people are probably spread more across different areas of the site making it seem busier in general. Looking at the pyramid on the tv the field does look very empty for a lot of sets 

There were people last year saying it was no busier.

Reality is busy areas are always busy, you won't see a big difference. It was the quieter areas last year that gave it away, theatre fields really busy all weekend (not just Thursday), circus tent always packed. Long queues at Children's World cafe.

Not there this year but that's where you can measure it.

It’s definitely quieter this year compared to last year. Obviously not as quiet since they increased the capacity, but suspect that whatever they’re doing to clamp down on people getting spun in is working as there’s notably less scousers than last year. South East Corner last year may as well have been Scouse East Corner cos it was literally just scousers as far as the eyes could see. (And just in case anyone gives me any grief I am also from Liverpool and it’s widely known here that there’s a huge black market for getting spun in, which the scousers have taken the most advantage of and seemed to peak last year). 

Past 2 years I’ve worked behind a bar and last year I served so many people who either didn’t have a wristband at all or had that fake one that said ‘Happy Birthday’, but this year haven’t spotted anything similar. Also security at Ped Gate C is substantially better. 

That aside, I think the reality is if you want to see a popular act you should get there an hour early. Similarly, with big acts on the pyramid there’s always loads of space up at the back. Main issue imo seems to be a lack of crowd sense from a sizeable number of punters. Too much pushing and attempts to move against the flow of the crowd. Couple that with drugs, alcohol and being out in the sun all day inevitably leads to a breakdown in common sense. Not sure what Glastonbury can do to fix that problem though!

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

They might be trying it out to see how it works. Sundays seem to be the day to experiment. Sunday 22 in the park they did one way for the first time

It's annoying af, I've had to walk way further than I should to get to my tent. I get it if things are getting out of hand but the field wasn't that busy. Unless they're preemptively doing it for Avril.

4 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

It's annoying af, I've had to walk way further than I should to get to my tent. I get it if things are getting out of hand but the field wasn't that busy. Unless they're preemptively doing it for Avril.

That’s exactly what they’re doing. Avril will be insanely busy. It’s entirely sensible.