Site quieter?

CaledonianGonzo

41 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Festivals are so so good for catching up and coming acts. I agree. Let's see what happens in the future! This year has obviously not been ideal.

I think people need to admit this more than anything. Like Coachella was scoffed at back in January. And Glasto has seemingly shown the same this year. Nobody is immune. Its all in cycles and you gotta do your best. And its funny seeing people think you can just pick up the phone and an artist will just agree to perform. It isnt that simple. Like maybe the lore of Glasto being this event that can get anyone or anything is fading and you do what you gotta. Emily said it on friday when she was asked the lack of guitar acts. Its bullshit. Either you got too many or too few. Theyre gonna stick to their guns and we gotta live with it. I doubt this slows down any ticket sales either. Thats years away.

I’ve got to admit we left early. Nothing compelling enough to keep us there after 4 nights of madness. Sad I’ve missed Camelphat but such a late timing for them! Lots of people leaving when we left too. We did pop into Glastonbury town, walked up the Tor. It was empty but really recommend doing it if you get the chance! 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

I think people need to admit this more than anything. Like Coachella was scoffed at back in January. And Glasto has seemingly shown the same this year. Nobody is immune. Its all in cycles and you gotta do your best. And its funny seeing people think you can just pick up the phone and an artist will just agree to perform. It isnt that simple. Like maybe the lore of Glasto being this event that can get anyone or anything is fading and you do what you gotta. Emily said it on friday when she was asked the lack of guitar acts. Its bullshit. Either you got too many or too few. Theyre gonna stick to their guns and we gotta live with it. I doubt this slows down any ticket sales either. Thats years away.

Possibly but the benefits of headlining must be huge for any artist.  I’m not sure but don’t sales/streams from artists headlining jump massively once they have performed.  I don’t think for 1 minute that Emily would struggle to get any artist to headline.  I think the woke brigade of this thing about female artists headlining forced her hand and let’s be honest there aren’t that many of them around.  I could be wrong!!!

This has been my introduction to SMZ , i'm browsing , ..on here actually whilst listening to the music and its quite enjoyable.

Some great tunes and a great voice too .

Thing is ,when i go back to the vid ,the overblown stage production is all a bit of a distraction ,and i don't think it adds anything at all, in fact i'd say it detracts from the music.

Sometimes less is more imo.

46 minutes ago, panasonic2011 said:

Possibly but the benefits of headlining must be huge for any artist.  I’m not sure but don’t sales/streams from artists headlining jump massively once they have performed.  I don’t think for 1 minute that Emily would struggle to get any artist to headline.  I think the woke brigade of this thing about female artists headlining forced her hand and let’s be honest there aren’t that many of them around.  I could be wrong!!!

So where was the Talking Heads reunion this year. And how did they lose Madonna. Along with the old story of them having gotten Prince and then he just up and decided to not do it. Lots of almost hads and such with lots of fests with a deep history. Nothing new. The Coachella list is pretty long lol.

6 minutes ago, brandycoke said:

This has been my introduction to SMZ , i'm browsing , ..on here actually whilst listening to the music and its quite enjoyable.

Some great tunes and a great voice too .

Thing is ,when i go back to the vid ,the overblown stage production is all a bit of a distraction ,and i don't think it adds anything at all, in fact i'd say it detracts from the music.

Sometimes less is more imo.

Dont tell Taylor Swift then.

Crowd at Avril was crazy earlier - couldn't get anywhere near the stage or even the outer speaker towers. Ended up squashed like sardines and barely hearing the set from near the Glade, past the bins and benches.

Never seen the Other stage field anywhere near that busy before. She definitely needed to be on the Pyramid stage.

Just done my 20th year  in a row. Much easier to get around than 2022,which was an obvious mess up somewhere. 

I think with all new stages to the west of site, there is now a split with youngers/newbies west, and old heads east. 

At our usual cider bus meet on the Wednesday it was noticeably quieter than normal. 

One of our group then reported Park and above absolutely rammed. These of course are the bits shown on bbc,so seems folk now head for there. 

Anyone else noticed obvious reduction in budgets? Avalon a pale imitation of its previous self. Less banners and decoration than usual all over the site. 

Had a good time, but may even skip next year. Seems obvious that since the festival lost senior management over last few years, a lot is changing. Not sure if all good tbh. 

Edited by Ohinever

2 hours ago, Soleili said:

Looks quiet for SZA, but didn't expect anything different really. 

I thought it was the first headliner booking they've made in my time of going and it's been done purely on a basis of a determination to book two female headliners regardless of whether suitable, ready etc etc. No one even knew who she was who I spoke to.

2 hours ago, panasonic2011 said:

Nothing forced her hand, she chose to male those decisions. She chose to male the decision that bumped up SZA and put Idles clashing with Fontaines for example.

13 minutes ago, Jackmypie said:

Gipsy kings were incredible!

Can’t believe how quick it was to walk through pyramid up to gate b though. I do know of lots of people that left early. It’s sad seeing the pyramid so empty on the Sunday tbh. 

I saw them earlier this year and they are indeed incredible! If I had been there this year they would have been my headliner choice tonight. 

On 6/27/2024 at 3:29 PM, DTichborne said:

Ah, 2002, the year where I genuinely thought I was going to die in a crush at one point. People might not like the Superfence but it was essential to the festival's survival. 

I was there is 2000, I remember watching acts on the other standing amongst the tents. The super fence was absolutely needed!

If I remember correctly they estimated 250k people on site in 2000, where as it was 120k on 2002 with the super fence.

This year we are up to 210K from what I have read. I'm all for letting as many people enjoy the festival as reasonable but at some point it will detract from everyone's enjoyment. 

Or maybe I'm just too old and should stick to Beautiful days 🤔

1 hour ago, ShuMart said:

I was there is 2000, I remember watching acts on the other standing amongst the tents. The super fence was absolutely needed!

If I remember correctly they estimated 250k people on site in 2000, where as it was 120k on 2002 with the super fence.

This year we are up to 210K from what I have read. I'm all for letting as many people enjoy the festival as reasonable but at some point it will detract from everyone's enjoyment. 

Yep. I should add that my partner has corrected me, the crush in question was in 1999, not long after the Pearl Jam incident. 

1 hour ago, ShuMart said:

I remember 2000 being less busy than the recent years (post 2007), maybe it's perception, but Bowie was nowhere near as rammed as say the Stones nor Elton. I know what they estimated numbers are, but I've never thought they were accurate.