Site quieter?

CaledonianGonzo

34 minutes ago, DJL said:

I get the point regarding complimentary but if you cut the volunteers and staff will you be happy to have longer queues, more trash, less security, less water points? 

There are points when staff and volunteers may be or appear to be overstaffed but they have to factor in no shows (because being a punter is better) and a moving crowd who constantly want different things at different times and different places.

i enjoyed being a volunteer this year, there are some perks, I’ll do it again if I have to, but make no mistake i preferred being a punter in 2023 and will be trying in November!

Maybe I was harsh mentioning staff etc. but there were a lot of them but they make it was it is as well so happy to admit to error. 

32 minutes ago, Gashead86 said:

To clarify, I have no issue with the much needed volunteers getting wristbands. Certainly not. But I do take issue with the hordes of z listers who seem to be blagging freebies on to the site. 

These are two VERY different entities and should not be chucked in together. 

I want less freeloaders being given hospitality tickets for clout, that is all. 

The problem is you have to chase back where those tickets come from. Yes, they get them for free, but the festival itself is not giving out hospitality tickets to influencers. The festival gives out hospitality tickets to businesses, in exchange for services provided. It means they don't have to pay that business as much (or sometimes nothing).

There's no real rules about what a business does with these tickets. Some give them away to staff as a thank you or a performance reward, sometimes the managers keep them for them and their family, sometimes they sell them on the secondary market to turn them into actual money and yes, sometimes they give them to influencers in exchange for services.

But those tickets exist because a free ticket was a better option than paying market rate for the service the festival originally wanted.

ah the scourge of current times the 'influencer' be it this week Wimbledon, last week Glasto even the Chelsea flower show brands are still thinking they are getting massive clout by shoehorning in half a dozen of these people with a few thousand followers (i don't include paid bot followers). Until this trend wears off its going to happen.

My issue is if a celeb shows why do they always seem to also bring half a dozen limpets with them.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

The problem is you have to chase back where those tickets come from. Yes, they get them for free, but the festival itself is not giving out hospitality tickets to influencers. The festival gives out hospitality tickets to businesses, in exchange for services provided. It means they don't have to pay that business as much (or sometimes nothing).

There's no real rules about what a business does with these tickets. Some give them away to staff as a thank you or a performance reward, sometimes the managers keep them for them and their family, sometimes they sell them on the secondary market to turn them into actual money and yes, sometimes they give them to influencers in exchange for services.

But those tickets exist because a free ticket was a better option than paying market rate for the service the festival originally wanted.

I don’t think this addresses why there are so many more of this type of attendee these days. Is the festival really so skint that it’s giving so many tickets away to get goods and services? I saw someone there courtesy of Spotify - what are Spotify providing? I think most people would happily pay a bit more for a ticket if it meant less influencer types and less crowded overall

16 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I can see how we have ended up in this situation.. How do we get out of it? 

I for one would happily pay 10% more if it meant an end to this nonsense, but that is easy for me to say isn't it! 

For me, we really do need to get away from thousands of tickets being given away instead of paying market rate for a service. You can see exactly how doing this is leading to hordes of z listers getting in for nothing.. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

I don’t think this addresses why there are so many more of this type of attendee these days. Is the festival really so skint that it’s giving so many tickets away to get goods and services? I saw someone there courtesy of Spotify - what are Spotify providing? I think most people would happily pay a bit more for a ticket if it meant less influencer types and less crowded overall

Spotify is integrated into the official Glasto app now apparently?

The festival is skint by design, it gives most any profits leftover to charity.

Tough one if the bands cant or wont play for nothing after costs and travel etc. The festival will need to pay more or have less well known acts 

Would the festival be happier to give less to charity? at the moment they can push up prices every year knowing it will sell out in seconds. 

Emily has a big job on her hands going forward 

On 6/30/2024 at 10:18 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Anyway, anyone who think that this is busier than last year or 2022 is off their chump.

This is giving me hope for next year.  Not about getting a ticket, just that the crowds of 22 in particular were giving me heebie jeebies at times. I generally seem to find them more stressful as I'm getting older.

44 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Tough one if the bands cant or wont play for nothing after costs and travel etc. The festival will need to pay more or have less well known acts 

Would the festival be happier to give less to charity? at the moment they can push up prices every year knowing it will sell out in seconds. 

Emily has a big job on her hands going forward 

Did anyone watch Grace Petrie play the acoustic stage yesterday? She said playing Glastonbury this year left her £1,000 out of pocket. 

1 hour ago, rebeccac said:

beyond the “barter” tickets the festival has always sold/issued hospitality tickets to companies and organisations in the music industry (labels, agents, magazines, radio stations, promoters etc). It’s a big part of what made the festival an enormous industry event and almost certainly helped them to get some bands/industry support.

It might be worth looking at this again as some of the recipients may be getting a bit tenuous (ad agencies, media buyers etc). 

14 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

beyond the “barter” tickets the festival has always sold/issued hospitality tickets to companies and organisations in the music industry (labels, agents, magazines, radio stations, promoters etc). It’s a big part of what made the festival an enormous industry event and almost certainly helped them to get some bands/industry support.

It might be worth looking at this again as some of the recipients may be getting a bit tenuous (ad agencies, media buyers etc). 

Those get sold for more than a regular ticket though. So it's back to money, you cut those out, you have to make cuts or put the cost of a regular ticket up.

26 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Did anyone watch Grace Petrie play the acoustic stage yesterday? She said playing Glastonbury this year left her £1,000 out of pocket. 

Probably paying her band their usual fee out of pocket (rather than relying on them to do it for a ticket, like many stage bookers do)

52 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Yes - hence why she had a merch stall afterwards (which I was happy to purchase from). I've been to many folk festivals and it's the norm for folk artists to bring out a box of cds afterwards- not sure why more acts don't do it at Glasto.

Thought it felt much quieter than recent years (bar the self inflicted Avril Lavigne nonsense obviously). Don’t think I waited at all for food or at bars and even the toilets at Pyramid were ok. 

Related, felt sorry for Brothers Bar - because of the woodchip no one was hanging about in West Holts like usual. Spoke to someone there and they said they were well down on last few years. 

7 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Thought it felt much quieter than recent years (bar the self inflicted Avril Lavigne nonsense obviously). Don’t think I waited at all for food or at bars and even the toilets at Pyramid were ok. 

Related, felt sorry for Brothers Bar - because of the woodchip no one was hanging about in West Holts like usual. Spoke to someone there and they said they were well down on last few years. 

That woodchip was brutal. I was in agony after Heilung.

Sunday aside, it felt as busy as 2022 to me, which was way too overcrowded compared to the 6 festivals I've been to before then. I was hoping '22 was a post covid blip but it still feels so oversold. There's no way to hop between acts anymore but instead have to plan/leave so much time to avoid crushes and fields closing. Jayda G's set in Greenpeace getting cancelled halfway through due to overcrowding was a real shame.

Volunteers and workers are different, obviously. But at least 3 Insta influencers popping up on my feed courtesy of vodaphone, just as an example: arrived late Thurs, home by Sunday afternoon. Had their obligatory tagged photos by the charging tent, then mainly shots with outfits for the rest of the time (a bit of promo for other brands thrown in for good measure no doubt). That's it. About 2 posts in exchange for a ticket?  I’m guessing all that infrastructure for phones doesn’t come cheap, but it doesn’t mean it doesn’t grate when you’ve tried and failed to get tickets three years in a row. 

• Like 2