Site quieter?

CaledonianGonzo

I wonder if it would help if there were tiered tickets? For instance, a certain percentage of Wednesday-entry, Thursday-entry and Friday-entry tickets? Might be difficult to coordinate, could be confusing and adds to the jeopardy of actually securing a ticket I guess, but it's an idea.

Of course that doesn't help the weekend crowd control at all, but would help on Wednesday and Thursday when tens of thousands are scratching around for something to do. 

Two things are certain:

1. They won't be reducing the punter numbers any time soon, unless there's a significant price increase to compensate.

2. Despite any crowd complaints, it's going to be harder than ever to get a ticket this October/November.

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Two things are certain:

1. They won't be reducing the punter numbers any time soon, unless there's a significant price increase to compensate.

2. Despite any crowd complaints, it's going to be harder than ever to get a ticket this October/November.

On #1, that price increase be happening regardless.

On #2, oh aye. It's not going to get easier.

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I wonder if it would help if there were tiered tickets? For instance, a certain percentage of Wednesday-entry, Thursday-entry and Friday-entry tickets? Might be difficult to coordinate, could be confusing and adds to the jeopardy of actually securing a ticket I guess, but it's an idea.

Of course that doesn't help the weekend crowd control at all, but would help on Wednesday and Thursday when tens of thousands are scratching around for something to do. 

Two things are certain:

I agree on both points, especially as it still looked great on the BBC.

Just an idle thought but one I keep coming back to is that they increase the amount of off site camping and start selling packages, possibly along with coach travel as well. This would allow them to justify (as they’ve moved a few thousand tents out of the main site itself) taking space out of Oxlyers/Pennards for a new entertainment area and possibly an extension of the Other Stage field.

14 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Two things are certain:

Thursday does not work at all and is generally a sh*t experience - either it has to be like Wednesday or 80-90% "open" (which I understand is not feasible)

46 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I think there’s a good chance another 10% on top of this years price plus whatever increase they have to put on next years price will be the final straw for some price-wise, yes. Not for the middle classes but anyone less well off.

I was priced out of it last year and saved like a bastard for it this year to be able to go.  The place has become more and more middle class in the time I've been going but there are still plenty of working class voices to be heard at the festival I find.  

The festival itself, however, is absolutely fantastic value.  I ate well, drank from the bars as well as my own drinks and bought plenty of coffee/cans of soft drinks and all in it cost me less than £200 including overpriced crap grabbed during the journey there and back.  For me the ticket plus coach costs plus replacing a couple of bits of worn out camping gear came to nearly £600.  As someone who works part time with health issues that occasionally see me missing a week or two's wages every few months it's not easy to scrape that together without going without.

I fully expect the ticket to be in the region of £390 plus fees next year.  It just feels like the direction things are going.

23 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Really shows how hard the decisions must be for those up top 

Totally and I don't envy them. There is plenty of room on site for the amount of people but it needs a complete logistical redesign, they need to reconsider the amount of complimentary tickets that are seemingly being given out and their booking policies need a rethink.

Increasing the cost of it for the average punter shouldn't even be a consideration as a solution to the problem however small the increase.

1 minute ago, Andeeroo said:

Totally and I don't envy them. There is plenty of room on site for the amount of people but it needs a complete logistical redesign, they need to reconsider the amount of complimentary tickets that are seemingly being given out and their booking policies need a rethink.

Increasing the cost of it for the average punter shouldn't even be a consideration as a solution to the problem however small the increase.

Maybe push all the celebrity glamping off site ? 

49 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Two things are certain:

Sell Friday entry first then Wed and Thurs entry as extras. They could also link the Wed/Thurs entry to coach or Worthy View packages and open the car/camper van fields later.

7 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

This, to me, is the solution.  Many aren't there for the full festival anyway, but the space is allocated.  I expect the easiest job on site is working hospitality bars on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday.

Ship em out.  There's already a working setup with shuttle buses to a lot of current hospitality providers.  I don't think that it represents good use of space to have as much devoted to pre-erected yurts and teepees within the festival boundaries.  I think that a smaller hospitality provision onsite with more of the camping/facilities pushed offsite would be a big benefit in freeing up some much needed camping space for general admission tickets who aren't camping at WV/Sticklinch etc.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They'll continue to tweak and adjust, but the wholesale / significant changes that some people seem to be looking for just aren't going to happen.  On the whole, for an event of it's size, it's still a remarkable logistics success.

This! People need to remember that it’s a quarter of a million people on a f**king dairy farm. Perfection isn’t possible but Christ they come close. Most of the things people are complaining about this year have come about because of people complaining last year. My radical idea to solve any issues is to blacklist the registrations of all the moaners. 

Also people need to start being accountable for their own decisions and actions. All the busy sets at the festival are known by everyone in advance before. If you don’t like crowds go to something else. If you really love it and have to be there, get there early. 

I’m honestly always staggered at just how smoothly and efficient it is for the most part. 

The changes this year around Woodside and Greenpeace especially were fantastic. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Perhaps. Although I'm not sure where they all camp at the moment?

I love the T&C fields but it's pretty dead at night (and most of Friday-Sunday) and has 3 fields dedicated to it. I imagine they could do something with that for starters.

FWIW, I do think it's getting better and as @CaledonianGonzosays, large scale changes probably aren't going to happen but it doesn't mean that they shouldn't be looking at making some considering the growth of the thing and the way people's behaviours at the fest have changed in the last 10-15 years.

45 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They'll continue to tweak and adjust, but the wholesale / significant changes that some people seem to be looking for just aren't going to happen.  On the whole, for an event of it's size, it's still a remarkable logistics success.

Yep. I have volunteered at a fair few different festivals over the years and even as a very lowly cog you see what goes on and Glastonbury is very smoothly run compared to a lot I've seen. And the ones that do work well basically seem to copy Glastonbury

45 minutes ago, Andeeroo said:

I love the T&C fields but it's pretty dead at night (and most of Friday-Sunday) and has 3 fields dedicated to it. I imagine they could do something with that for starters.

Or, get rid of the Acoustic field, which can suffer badly with sound crossover from the Pyramid- put the bands on other stages, and the Pilton Palais in T&C somewhere?

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Unless they’re camping at the stages (which theyre obviously not) I’m not sure this really makes any difference.

Make some of the walkways bigger by eating into the hospitality interstage areas may help. 

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Two things are certain:

Maybe, but I wonder how many who left early felt a bit ripped off? Ie. Only got 4 days instead of 5? (Clutching at straws)

1 hour ago, Spindles said:

This, to me, is the solution.  Many aren't there for the full festival anyway, but the space is allocated.  I expect the easiest job on site is working hospitality bars on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday.

Ship em out.  There's already a working setup with shuttle buses to a lot of current hospitality providers.  I don't think that it represents good use of space to have as much devoted to pre-erected yurts and teepees within the festival boundaries.  I think that a smaller hospitality provision onsite with more of the camping/facilities pushed offsite would be a big benefit in freeing up some much needed camping space for general admission tickets who aren't camping at WV/Sticklinch etc.

It was really astounding working in Stonebridge on Sat night once Idris Elba arrived to DJ and the tent was immediately filled with an entourage and everyone who'd ever worked at the BBC. Meanwhile punters are 30 deep being held outside the tent and the volunteer bar staff are working til 5am. That felt a bit grating, to be honest - you do notice it more in the Park though as it's so close to the beeb camp. I dunno where the other sleb camping is. 

I always considered Glastonbury the great leveller but this year it did not feel that way. Would really like to see some influencers put a volunteer shift in for their ticket and us public sector workers can have a gifted weekend off instead. 

• Upvote 1